1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What's your fancy?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    To try to spice up the conversations a bit, I thought it would be interesting to insert:

Must have (this can be any position, any round, who is that one guy who you must have on your team)

Your number 1 offensive player (a guy who you want realistically at #17)

your number 1 defensive player (same as offensive)

Your late round Gem (a guy who you feel isn't getting enough credit who can be a steal)

Must have guy: Devin Funchess, WR, Michigan. 6'5" 235 lbs.
    I would love if we got Funchess, He is listed as a WR, but I would actually use him as a move tight end for mismatches. Antonio Gates could be gone after this year so it might be wise to draft his successor. With the Draft having limited talent at the Tight end position. (egotistical A hole) Max Williams, and some late prospects like Pruitt, O' Shaunessey. And with the jury still out on Green. Adding Funchess would be wise.

Pick #17 (Offense) Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin. 6'1" 215 lbs.
    Big, Physical. Becoming a receiving threat. I think Gordon has the biggest upside to be the best back in the draft. We need a true leading RB in the backfield, A guy who can take over games, control the clock or help fix our dreaded stats once we get into the Red Zone, We need Gordon more than Gordon needs us.

Pick #17 (Defense) Alvin "Bud" Dupree, OLB, Kentucky, 6'4" 265 lbs.
    Next to Vic Beasley, Dupree is IMO the second best pass rusher in this draft. I actually like him better than Fowler, Gregory or Ray from an explosive stand point. I think if Dupree gets the proper coaching and works on his technique, he can be comparable to Chandler Jones.

Late Gem: DeAndre Smelter WR, Georgia Tech, 6'2" 226 lbs.
    If not for the ACL injury, it's easy to believe that smelter could have been a top 5 WR. Last year Smelter caught 35 balls for 715 yards and 7 TD's and rushed 3 for 103 yards and a TD all that from his second college season on a run first team. On at least 30 receptions he averaged 20.4 yards ranking 7th best in nation. He needs some work but sitting on the side line for a year to learn and heal, would not only benfit Smelter, but would also help the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Ok seems fun.
    Must have: kevin white wr wvu

1st round offensive : ereck flowers ot Miami

1st round defensive: malcom brown dt Texas

Late round gem: stefon diggs wr maryland

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Must have
    I tried to pick a must have player who we actually could have a shot at, so I love the idea of Philip Dorsett in round 2. Think he'd be a good weapon in our offense, he is pretty damn fast and he accelerates well. I kinda like the look of Chris Conley too, but I don't know as much about him as some of you guys will.

Your number 1 offensive player
    La'el Collins OL LSU
    Think he would complete our line, he's big and mean, and would give Fluker some competition on the right side. Those 2 as a combination on the right could be decent.

your number 1 defensive player
    Tough one here because I don't think we'll go defense in the first. Logical choice could be Malcom Brown but to be honest I haven't seen much of him. As a Tide fan I have a big-time soft spot for Landon Collins, but as much as I'd love the pick because I like him, I'm not sure how everyone else would like it.

Your late round Gem
    T.J. Yeldon RB Alabama
    He's a very versatile guy, does everything pretty well, and he's quicker in game than he appears doing drills. Good receiver for a RB, came up big in the big moments when Bama needed him. Has fumbled a little too much, but if he can correct this he will be good value for whoever drafts him. If we don't draft him I hope the Packers do, him and Lacy were a good tandem for the Tide. I also like Bama's Jalston Fowler, as full-backs go he has great hands and he's a weapon in goal-to-go situations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Kevin White altough he won't be there at 17

5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    G
    the must have is just some one u really like

6. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    1) Must have player - The player i like most is Amari Cooper. But thats unrealistic, so for us I'd like to see Brandon Scherff at 17. I know he's slated higher, but I feel he could be there at 17. Plug him into RG and our o-line would be downright filthy.

2)Number One Offensive Player - Scherff (see above). If he's not there, I like Ereck Flowers. Young, nasty, could start out on the right side, but has the potential tools to possibly play the left side when Dunlap retires

3)Number One Defensive Player - I'm going Eddie Goldman here. I think his presence inside could make life easier on Butler and Teo.

4) Late Round Gem - I like Jeff Heuerman a lot. Can block and catch, probably won't be a pro-bowler but could be a very serviceable TE for us.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I really do think they look draft a RT and convert Fluker to RG. Flowers is my favorite OT in this draft for the 1st round

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I like him a lot too, but we're probably in the minority on this board. He has flaws, but I think they are correctable ones. I actually think both him and Peat will go before Collins and Scherff when the actual draft goes down, contrary to the mock drafts you see out right now. For me, guys that can play on the outside go ahead of the interior guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Must have player: Dorial Green-Beckham WR - I hope TT is guy who puts talent first before anything. He has the biggest upside of any WR in this draft. He also could be ticking time bomb. If he falls to the 2nd round TT needs to throw a 4th.

Offense: Todd Gurley: The Chosen one for #17 imo.

Defense: Randy Gregory: It would be hard to pass at a talented player like Gregory and he is only slightly behind Gurley for me as far as clusters go.

GEM: I'm not gonna act like I really know if he can or can't make it in the league but going with David Cobb. If don't go RB first 3 rounds this man could be a gem to find late.

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Must have player- To me it's Malcolm Brown, or Eddie Goldman. We resigned Dunlap, and picked up Franklin. So the offensive line (while still needing 1 more piece can be put off until 2nd or 3rd rounds. Our front 7 is still a huge problem, and it starts in the middle.

1st Offensive- Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin. Breakaway speed, mixed with great vision, and above average power. He is going to be a good one IMO.

1st defensive- Malcolm Brown NT Texas. Dominant NT that we sorely need. Will allow Jerry, and Melvin to get more 1 on 1's.

Late round gem- Karlos Williams RB FSU. Big physical back with breakaway speed. Posted sub 4.5 40 at the combine at 6'1" 230. Issues with him are injury concerns, and lack of reps because he made a move from Safety to RB 2 years ago. Good news is, there are very few miles on him.

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  12. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    The issue with Karlos Williams is he's spent more time on the police blotter than in the sports section. I do agree with you on Brown or Goldman though, need to come away with one of these guys if they're sitting there

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  14. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    :rolleyes: my oh my!

I was counting on myself to remain a San Diego Chargers fan at the very least through 2015, but they're trying to make a compelling argument for me to stay neutral in this possibly last year of San Diego Chargers :whistling:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    For all we know, this is either due diligence (hey not much going on this time of year, lets got to Oregon and dine on the bosses dime) Maybe he falls to #17.

Heck, maybe Spanos is thinking "if this doesn't get San Diego to run us out of town, I don't know what will"

But if they're just thinking of moving on from Rivers for Mariota straight up, with nothing else in return. Good luck selling tickets this year or the next 5 years. Also Telesco and McCoy are in contract years, if this comes back and bite them in the butt, they can kiss an extension good bye.

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Actually this is the third year of 4 year deals for MM and TT.

There are too many teams that need QBs in the top 16 for me to believe he falls all the way to us. Titans, Jets, Bears, Browns, Texans, even the Saints make some sense. Not to mention KC at 18, the Browns again at 19, and the Eagles at 20, any of whom could justify trading up.

I love the idea of Mariota behind Rivers, I could support that even at the short term cost of other positions.
    I hate the idea of trading Rivers for Mariota, unless we get a kings ransom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    This seems like a little more than due diligence. The article I read said McCoy, Reich and the front office "brass" are all in attendance, the brass doesn't usually attend on a due diligence trip. Also, its unusual for a guy like Mariota who is expected to go top 2 in the draft to grant a workout to a team at 17 unless there is legitimate reason to believe a trade is a real possibility. I still highly doubt this happens, but this has more teeth to it than I know I myself initially thought. In the end, I don't think they'll match up on the compensation. The Chargers no doubt would want a Rivers for the #2 pick straight up and the Titans would probably want Rivers plus the #17 pick. I just don't think it gets done.

18. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    They're smoking crack if they think they'll get Rivers + anything. At worst the deal would be straight up, more likely they have to pitch in an extra pick or two as all the risk is on our end.

I would bet they try to pawn off Mr. Pre Game Selfie on us as well. That could be interesting.

19. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I agree BUT...

What if the situation with Rivers (HC, OC and GM against Rivers) is going to become untenable and contentious? Rivers has never struck me as a malcontent and has always been both a consummate warrior and the ultimate teammate.

Of course all pure speculation on my part, but something just doesn't feel right about all this and I don't think that it is just smoke and mirrors. The people who run this Team know that they don't have the time to play stupid games!

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I just did a mock where we got their #2 swapped 2nd round picks and gave our 3rd
    they got Rivers, our 48 (swapped) and #83

our first 3 picks were Mariota, Gurley and Odi
    I'd still lose sleep contemplating my optimism on this, but not a bad haul to leave with as parting gifts

21. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Rivers to Titans.

Titans get: Rivers, Conditional 2016 3rd round to 2nd round, 2015 5th round.

Chargers get: #2,#17, #33 2016 1st

#2 - Marcus Mariota
    #17 - Todd Gurley
    #33 - Dorial Green-Beckham
    #48 - Eli Harold
    3rd round: Best OG
    4th round: CB depth/Chris Conley Wr
    6th round: BPA

That would be a great haul and the Chargers can go Oline if Mariota shows promise. Or ship 2 1st in 2016 for a QB they like in that draft.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  22. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    That would be an exceptional haul, but considering the value of a typical #2 overall pick, do you really think we could get #2, a second rounder, and a first next year too?

23. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Yes the minimum for Rivers is 2 first rounders and I'm assuming our own #17 wouldn't be included or trade out. So #2 and a 2016 1st rounder. We might not get #33 unless we give our own #48, but I think another high pick in exchange would be better. Most likely a 2016 3rd rounder from us, which washes 3 picks in the first three rounds.

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    some interesting news to note:

Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana

Amongst the 22 teams in attendance, the Dallas Cowboys, Jacksonville Jaguars, Arizona Cardinals and Indianapolis Colts sent running back coaches. The San Diego Chargers had a full contingent of offensive coaches on hand.

Dres Anderson, WR, Utah

Fourteen teams including the Baltimore Ravens (WR Coach), Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Giants, Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders, Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Bills, Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Tennessee Titans, Denver Broncos and San Diego Chargers are on hand.

Eric Tomlinson, TE, UTEP

The Miners are the final school to work out on the schedule, and almost a dozen teams made their way to El Paso for pro day. Included were tight end coaches from the San Diego Chargers and Philadelphia Eagles to watch the top, and possibly only Miner prospect, tight end Eric Tomlinson.

Chaz Green, OL, Florida

Yesterday, Green met individually with the Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Bucs, San Diego Chargers and Carolina Panthers. Today, he's meeting with the Philadelphia Eagles and Houston Texans.

Shaq Thompson, ILB/OLB/RB/SS Washington

Shaq Thompson weighed in at 228 pounds then completed 28 reps on the bench. He did both linebacker and defensive back drills and looked very athletic in both. Thompson had dinner with Mike Nolan of the San Diego Chargers last night and is scheduled to eat with the Carolina Panthers this evening. He presently has nine visits on his schedule.

Cody Fajardo, QB, Nevada

Almost a dozen teams were on hand for Nevada's pro day, primarily to watch quarterback Cody Fajardo, who threw the deep ball well. Fajardo went through a scripted workout of about 54 passes and showed impressive deep accuracy. Of interest were that the New York Giants, Green Bay Packers, St. Louis Rams, New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills and San Diego Charges were on hand.

Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado St.

Thirteen teams were on hand, including the Cleveland Browns, who took Grayson to dinner last night. The New York Jets were well represented at the pro day, and Grayson has private workouts scheduled with the San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams and Buffalo Bills. (Denver seemed to show the most interest in Grayson, Kubiak runs a system similar to what Grayson ran at Col. St.)

Harold Spears, TE, / R.J. Harris, WR, New Hampshire

The Oakland Raiders, Seattle Seahawks, New Orleans Saints, Indianapolis Colts and San Diego Chargers requested both players work out and each looked good in position drills.

Shane Ray, DE,/ Markus Golden, OLB, Missouri

Joey Porter, Mike Tomlin, Mike Nolan, Jon Dorsey, Scot McCloughan and Jeff Ireland were some of the big names on hand for the Missouri pro day. The Tennessee Titans and St. Louis Rams sent video crews to watch the workout.

Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise st.

I'm told Jay Ajayi looked good in running back drills, especially catching the ball. He ranks anywhere from a high of No. 2 on running back boards around the league to a low of No. 6. As posted on twitter, Ajayi had dinner with the San Diego Chargers last night.

Junior Sylvestre, LB, Toledo

Linebacker Junior Sylvestre, who will be in a camp this summer, completed 26 reps on the bench and ran the 40 in a time around 4.5 flat, with some stopwatches reading under 4.50. Sylvestre met with the Philadelphia Eagles, who sent their linebacker coach to the workout, and also had sit-downs with the Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears and San Diego Chargers.

Za'Darius Smith, DE, Kentucky

The big winner at Kentucky's pro day was Za'Darius Smith. Smith was timed as fast as 4.69 seconds in the 40 with his second run coming in at 4.71 seconds, much better than his combine time. He was super impressive in both linebacker and defensive line drills, looking smooth and athletic. At 274 pounds, Smith is still measuring just 11 percent body fat, the same number posted at the combine. The San Diego Chargers are working him out tomorrow, and Smith has a workout scheduled with the Carolina Panthers.

Tyler Sambrailo, OL, Colorado st.

The offensive lineman met with the Tampa Bay Bucs, Indianapolis Colts, Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos and San Diego Chargers over the course of two days.

Zack Wagenmann, OLB, Montana

Teams were impressed by the overall athleticism Zack Wagenmann showed. After improving on several of his marks from the combine, Wagenmann ran both defensive line and linebacker drills, looking good in each. Most leaving the workout felt Wagenmann secured himself as a last-day pick, and he met with both the San Francisco 49ers and San Diego Chargers during the previous two days.

25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  26. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    A couple interesting things here:
    1. No defensive tackles on either of these lists. Are we playing possum at that position? Our lack of interest in signing wilfork, knighton, ellis and others in free agency tells me either we are happy with what we have or we just don't value that position as far as a premium pick goes
    2. Shane Ray - while he isn't the only Missouri prospect at the school (Morse,DGB,Golden) I fully expect him to still be on the board when we pick. By all accounts he put up a very average pro day (Mayock said he wasn't impressed with Rays workout). TT though values production over numbers though, could be interesting if he's sitting there when we're on the clock
    3. Zadarius Smith - the tape I've watched on this guy, I'm sorry but I just wasn't impressed at all. Seemed to be easily blocked, I thought his motor was cold, seemed to give up on plays, didn't see him defeat a block and make a play. Dude looks like a beast tho, plays like a beauty. Maybe on the 3rd day I'd give him a shot but not in the 1st three rounds

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    That's not to say the Chargers weren't there or interested in defensive linemen and won't take one, I just doubt they take one high. They seem to really like Carrethers (who looked promising before injury) I would imagine they let their young guy(s) play it out a year to truly see what they have before investing in a position that may correct itself with a bit of seasoning under it's belt.

I honestly believe Nolan was there for Golden and not Ray, much to what I was suggesting earlier, when the OLB, ILB help comes in I expect it to come later with some exceptions of course. Although is wasn't written in the other notes I can tell you Pagano has met and worked out Owa Odi on 3 occasions.

Again with a few exceptions I can almost guarantee O line will come from a day 3 pick, I'm not worried about this spot. Coach D knows what he wants and what type of guy he wants (which going off his track record is somewhere @ 6'6" and 33o lbs)

WR is bound to come later also, I just hope it's closer to a Antonio Brown or Pierre Garcon than a Tevin Reese again.

We all know they're looking at Mariota, Hundley, Petty, etc. unfortunately, if they're truly intrigued by on and honestly feel Rivers is leaving I expect them to take one and at a round higher than they should, (If they take Hundley in the second, lets all hope they traded back to do so)

And now the cream of the crop (everyone's "hey if they're black they can be a running back" let's just take one with our 6th or 7th) The most interesting notes aside from the fact that both McCoy and Telesco repeatedly said "we can win with the guys we have" they have sent battalions to meet with all the top RB's in this class, and although it's considered deep. McCoy and Telesco are calling "Shotgun" Going along with LBC's report saying how they're very interested in Gurley. Having the head of College scouting meet with Gordon, The team taking Ajayi out to dinner, the entire offensive coaches meet Coleman, one is bound to be our lead runner in 2016

28. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    All this interest in QBS and RB. Yet I haven't seen the Chargers name attached to a Winston or Gurley. Odd not to check out the #1 guys in both those positions. I see a smokescreen.

29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Or perhaps they're keeping Gurley close to the chest, They currently sit at the eye of the Tornado, there are probably 5 or 6 teams that are sitting behind them that are all desperately seeking RB help, announcing that they're high on Gurley or giving any indication would likely lead The Cardinals, Cowboys, Colts, Lions, Ravens, and even the Panthers much more probability to jump them in such case. The teams that are consistently picking in the later rounds every year can afford to do things like that because they're truly only a couple pieces away

30. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Falcons are the highest Gurley goes. I'm most worried about Texans taking him as BPA, because Foster is getting old and they have no need for defense.