1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

When Will D. Edwards Be Traded To Saints?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Saints Fan in Austin, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Saints Fan in Austin

Saints Fan in Austin BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Just wondering, when will Donnie Edwards be traded to the Saints. Looks like the door may be closed on him returning to San Diego, and the trade talks have been going on for a while. Do you guys know anything that us in Saints land don't?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Doubt it unless your team ponies up a decent draft pick or a major player

3. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Just as soon as you give us a 3rd in 2007 and a 5th in 2008.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    2008 draft picks can't be traded until the 2006 year concludes.

Leisure can't come out and play right now. He's in the dungeon.

5. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Why is that?

How about the famous "conditional pick" that becomes a 5th in 2008?

6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    You can't trade out year picks. You can only trade next year's picks, until this year concludes, then for those few months (between the start of FA and the draft) you can trade two year's draft picks.

It's a rule listed somewhere. Not sure if it's in the CBA.

7. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    You are really smart...for a Bully...:icon_mrgreen:

8. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Interesting, I never knew that.

You could still trade Edwards for a 3rd in 2006 and a conditional 5th in 2007, based on performance, correct? In McCardell's case it was making the Pro Bowl. We could include a much easier trigger such as starting 8 games.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I thought I was a troll. Are you a chick? Make up your mind.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Bro, never argue with the guy who has the rubber band gun that can change you from a rooster to a hen with just a pull of the trigger!:icon_eek:

11. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Gun - [​IMG]

Ammo - [​IMG]

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Anyone else feeling some pain just lookin at these?:icon_eek:

13. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    That looks exactly like mine. Blue with green ammo.

14. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
  15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
  16. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Getting back on topic.......

I hope AJ trades Edwards. To the Saints, to the CFL, to NFLE. I don't care. Just get rid of him.

Anything SD gets in exchange is highway robbery. A first day draft selection is the steal of the century.

........ patiently waiting for Mr. O's "Donnie Hater" and bully comments ....

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Man are you bullying donnie haters again?:icon_shrug:

18. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't bully "Donnie Haters" - I'm their leader.

CEO - Donnie Hater's INC

I'll have an IPO next week. Want some stock?

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Nah, I am in the camp of can live with or without.

20. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think I could change your mind if we watched a couple games from last year together.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Possibly, but he was top 5 in the league in tackles last season. My concern would be (as we have discussed before) who would then make those tackles and would they be as effective.

The answer could be many things, and nothing is for sure. I guess what i am saying is with Donnie we know what we have. His tackles are after a gain, but if he doesnt make them, the gain is bigger.

At least thats a ball watching, TV Charger fan's point of view at least!:icon_wink:

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yes.

Although, the NFL's compensatory picks which are awarded (such as the one we get for Brees in 2007 - most likely a 3rd) is not tradable.

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Hey dude welcome to the boards.

The posts you saw at the Saints board posted by other for me was accurate.

The brothers above me saying if you guys cough up a 3rd round pick - Donnie Edwards is gone are correct.

Donnie is a 4-3 linebacker and yes he did get his tackles in our 3-4 defense but when the hardcore fans watches how Donnie Edwards performed (beyond looking at stats), it was not impressive.

Shamrock was the first poster who started to break down where Donnie was making his bazillion tackles and when they averaged 4 yards plus beyond the line of scrimmage, this is not acceptable to the number one running defense.

Donnie is on the way wrong side of thirty and has been complaining about gettting his contracts renegotiated when the dude has a deal in place. I am not a stat watcher and then believe prophecies will happen. Show me on the field. Weak Inside Linebacker by design in the 3-4 should be getting the majority of the tackles but where they happen is the problem and then when asked to drop into coverage - uhhhh - we have a problem Houston.

Now if you want to know about Drew Brees - ask me.

Ask why Steve McNair had 9,000 fans saying goodbye to him this weekend and Drew Brees had ZERO in San Diego for any formal events.

Saints fans should be at least curious why one of the better quarterbacks to roll through San Diego was not at least given some sort of "heros goodbye" but no one on the Saints forums has even asked and it makes me wonder why?

24. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I just don't follow that logic.

It's not like SD would have 10 players on the field if they dumped Edwards. I contend that Wilhelm would be an upgrade right now over Edwards - but I still would like to draft a "stud" WILB for the future.

The short yardage and goal line situations of the 5-6 games I rewatched a couple months ago were horrendous. Donnie just fell into the line - AVOIDING contact. Honest, it was repulsive to watch.

There were multiple times where it was apparent teams were scheming to have the ballcarrier match up with Edwards. When Sandolf and I watched some of the games, there were multiple times on both first and second down that teams went to close in formations and NEVER blocked Edwards. Nearly every time, Edwards had EASY chances for no gain or loss, but gave up 3-4 yards each play. One series vs. KC, one vs. Miami, and one vs. NE stick in my mind that SD should have had 3rd and 10 or more, but all times the opponent was in 3rd and 4 or less JUST because of Edwards. It is a lot easier (with higher conversion percentages) to make 3rd and 3 or 4 vs. 3rd and 10-15.

Then there is the lack of big plays, lost speed, shallow drops, etc....

All the mouthing off to the media is just a sideshow. Fluff. The reason he's on the trading block, and I believe he will NOT be a Bolt this year, is because of diminished play.

25. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    perhaps the loser of the Brooks lottery will step up... :icon_wink:

• Like Like x 1
  26. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Donnie avoids contact all right.

I was rewatching the Oakland-Charger game last season, where we won at home 34-10.

On the same series of plays, I see Merriman fly around the Raider line and chase down Lamont Jordan from behind when Lamont does a sweep left. Merriman jumped and flew two feet and pulled him down for a 2 yard loss. Then a few plays later, Donnie trots to where Lamont is doing an off-tackle, sees that one guy already is engaging Lamont, then Edwards stops and looks.

I wanted to yell out "Get your *** in there and help him, idiot!"

27. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Maybe ....

Donnie can play WILB in a 3-4, or an undersized MLB in a 4-3, or WLB in a 4-3.

Brooks has ate himself into being a SILB in a 3-4, or if he continues to eat, a DE in a 4-3. Many had projected him at WILB in a 3-4, but I seriously doubt anyone will attempt to play him there with his weight gain and fluctuation. Also, his speed was less than advertised. Of course, underoath doesn't want us to look at unimportant things like weight, strength and speed.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Here is my logic. What you say is correct, we will not have only 10 people on the field if Edwards is traded or cut. However, he is the starter at that position, Weilhelm has not taken the job from Edwards. Now you could think that the reason is because Marty likes Edwards, but I dont share that point of view. Edwards is also up at the top of the league in tackles.

I know some of you think tackles are a worthless stat, however I am not of that opinion. Donnie is at the top of the league, not the bottom. So he is doing something right. Is that to say he is irreplacable? Heck no. He is replaceable, but in my opinion his attitude makes him more dispensable than his play on the field.

I think he has been a good LB for us. Not the best, but good. That is my logic, faulty or factual, but it is the way I feel on the subject.

Until we have someone who takes the job from Donnie, logic will dictate he is the best we have at that position. I too have seen him ran over. I have also seen him make defensive plays and help the team. We will see the same from Merriman as he gets more confident and free lances more.

29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    The one play that pretty much sums up Donnies play last year was the KC game in KC, He had the runner wraped up on the sideline, but the runner was able to bust it open, and Donnie just slid right down the runners leg, and the Donnie watched the runner proced on dow the sideline.

30. Boltbaby

Boltbaby BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I used one of those on my lamb!