1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

When will people see what is happening?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Showmeyourbolt, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We are going down the path towards mediocrity, and it's happening sooner than anyone wants to admit! I don't care about records, or anything else. Anyone who has seen this team PLAY ON THE FIELD CAN CLEARLY SEE THE AMOUNT THAT THEY'VE REGRESSED OVER THE LAST TWO YEARS! At this point, I see only two outcomes for the upcoming year.

The first, is that AJ is aggressive in both the draft and in free agency. HE puts his massive ego aside, and sits down with LT like a man in order to get their issues resolved. He then resigns Merriman to make a point to the team that they're willing to do what it takes to win. After making wholesale changes on the offensive and defensive lines our team comes out of the gate strong, after finally learning how to completely ignore their head coach who doesn't know how to get a team ready to start the year. They then finish the season 12-4 on their way to the Superbowl title.

Option two, is that AJ lets his massive ego cloud his judgement. LT is cut, for nothing in return, and Sproles is let go for nothing because AJ refuses to give a "kick returner and complimentary back" any kind of salary. We end up extending a couple of no name scrub players for no reason, and we draft a running back with our first pick because we're left with Hester to carry the load. We do get a couple of offensive and defensive lineman late in the draft who are promptly cut in camp because they can't beat out stalwarts like Cesaire and Ian Scott.

We then sign a couple of no names who were cut from their team in camp to fill our holes, and everyone goes into the season optimistic because:
    Merriman is healthy
    Rivers and the offense will be better without LT and Norv will have learned how to utilize all of our tremendous weapons.
    All of our young players will have magically improved do to our great coaching.

Unfortunately, the season starts off bad for the third year in a row. The offensive line is worse then its ever been because Alphabet, who everyone thought looked great in camp, has proven to be nothing more than a scrub. Hester and the rookie can't carry the load, and without LT in the backfield the threat to run is simply not there anymore. The luxury of always having a defense stack 8 in the box is now gone, and Rivers' weaknesses of staring down receivers is suddenly exposed more than ever.

The defense continues to give up huge amounts of yardage, even with Merriman, and the insertion of that stalwart Jacque Cesaire hasn't had the kind of impact that AJ expected. The seventh round scrub NT has already been cut, so Bingham is once again struggling to back up Jamal. Without the turnover gifts this unit received in 07, they will continue to look crappy, ranking somewhere between tenth and seventeenth in the league.

After the 2-5 start to the year, the team begins pointing fingers at one another, leading to a lackluster 6-10 finish on the year. Merriman is let go, because AJ is still pissed that he didn't get surgery early in 08, and Rivers is the only player kept on the roster.

Norv is kept one more year in order to finish the downward trend, prompting a 4-12 season in '10. After the '10 season, both AJ and Norv are axed, and the window that seemed so wide open in 06 is now slammed shut, after only four years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    One of the top three offenses in the League and a defense that started to play pretty well at the end of the season without it's best player is serious regression?

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I agree completely!!!
    Last season, made me think we can do it despite of who the coach is but this season said it all. Sure the wins over the Donks and Ponies were fun and gave us something to smile about but all in all... it was just lipstick on a pig.

Many people in here live by that saying "those who listen to the fans will eventually be sitting with the fans." Well that's exactly what AJ did!
    Fans wanted Marty out after the 2006 playoff loss because they felt that he couldn't advance in the playoffs. AJ listened.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    When you jade the picture with your view how can anyone see what's happening. I see B4L has jumped in line, one tin soldja off to whar.:bolt:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    All I can say is "if this era of great players like LT, Rivers, Merriman, Jackson, Gates, etc. ends without at least on Super Bowl title, it will be the biggest failure in NFL history!"

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I think I need another beer. :icon_party:

7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Sorry I disagree completely. When will you see what is happening?

Difference between 06 and now? Hmm I don't know could it have been LT's record breaking season? nah too logical.

When you're running back is averaging 4 tds a game you'll be pretty damn good, and lets not forget the 4 game stretch where Merriman was suspended our defense was a complete joke (I posted the comparison on the UT forums don't feel like looking it up). So what did you expect the defense would look like without him this year? I'm actually encouraged that it was at least somewhat decent without Merriman because that would have been a huge upgrade over what happened in 06.

What I saw was it's tough to win when you have your best defensive player injured, along with 2 key stars that had lingering injuries for most of the season.

One thing I'd like to see AJ go back to is drafting the physical specimens he did early on instead of drafting these "football players".

I always find it funny when people say Norv was handed a 14-2 team, like it's expected for him to match that, but I'm sorry, unless he has LT breaking records left and right again (and play an easy schedule) it isn't the same team as the 06 team, it's more like the 04-05 team (12-4, 9-7).

• Like Like x 1
  8. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    huh? AJ wanted Marty gone a while ago, and fans didn't want Norv, they've wanted Norv fired, they've wanted to trade up for busts like BMW, trade LT for Reggie Bush, etc.

So yea if AJ was listening to those people he would have been gone a long time ago, but it's very clear AJ doesn't listen to the fans, he does his own thing, and just because sometimes that coincides with what fans want doesn't mean that's why he's doing it.

**** I wanted us to draft Merriman (or Ware), Cromartie, Cason, doesn't mean AJ drafted them because I wanted them, and especially doesn't mean they will suck because I wanted them.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

4-0 is a complete joke?

I know what your saying... like that Bengals game, BUT they did strike back in the second half and gave our offense a chance to win.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yes, AJ wanted Marty gone because Marty wasn't willing to crawl up his a** and die. The fans didn't want Norv but it's not like there was a whole lot of choice in March. Norv was hired because AJ can push him around.
    Those fans that wanted to trade LT for Bush was a very small minority.

AJ has always been great with the draft and FA but he needs to stay there and let the HC do his job.

11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I normally lurk and don't post. But all this sky is falling stuff is getting old. I've been a Chargers fan since 79, and i'm from the state of Michigan. If you really want to see a sky falling look at the Lions. Chargers fans don't have it near as bad. I understand we need to get a decent back-up to LT. He is getting injury prone, once a player gets that way sometimes it never stops. Look at Ken Griffey jr. If we can somehow get Michael Bush from the Raiders like they were trying during the season, or draft someone, we need to do it. This is two seasons straight that we have been hurt with LT getting injured. We got to have better depth.

• Like Like x 5
  12. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Maybe you missed it, but I clearly said our defense. What does our team going 4-0 have to do with our defense being completely awful.

Dammit now you're making me look up the stats I posted on the ut.

Alright here it is (this was in the Merriman coming back wont fix the d thread).

Bolded the main sections of that post.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Joe, welcome to hell. I hope you enjoy your stay.:tup:

14. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't know if all AJ wanted was a puppet, why would he interview guys like Singletary and Rivera? IMO neither are puppets, btw those were the guys I wanted. Also liked Rex Ryan.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

If you look back, I added to it. I know what you meant.

There was no reason for the stats but I thank you. Though there is this difference... they may have given up a lot of points but they still kept us in the game. This season, they were unable to accept against bad teams.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And there's your reason why they weren't hired. :yes:

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    From your post's I see you accept freely.

18. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Sorry didn't see the addition until after the post, the post is without Merriman we sucked, and it was against pretty bad offenses. The Bengals were the only good offense and that game was a disaster, but even when you exclude that game we were still giving up 22 ppg against 1 middle of the road offense and 2 horrendous offenses.

This season, the difference is our defense gave up games late that ended up costing us, but most of those were under Cottrell, under Rivera we were 5-3 (6-4 if you include the playoffs), but we easily could have been better. That was the period when our offense kind of struggled a bit (Rivers fumbling throwing INTs.)

Under Rivera we gave up 20 ppg, that's including the playoffs, that would have put us as 10th. 18.5 ppg if you exclude the playoffs which would have put us 6th. Under Cottrell we gave up 24.9 ppg, which would have put us at 28th.

I'd say that's a pretty big difference wouldn't you say? But there's also only so much you can do with no pass rush.

19. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Not really, if you think about, what did AJ like about Marty? The coordinators. So what did he want to keep the same? The offensive and defensive systems. That's why Norv and Cottrell made the best sense, problem is just because they use the same systems doesn't mean they call the games the same way.

Wade was aggressive, Cottrell is soft.

Cameron likes to run off tackle and is somewhat conservative, Norv likes to pass the ball deep and have a power running game, but for Norv's offense to work you need a great Oline (Cowboys).

I think AJ tried to keep things as close to the same, but at the same time things changed a lot more than he probably thought.

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Who was LT"s first OC????

21. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    In the NFL, was it Norv Turner?

22. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Norv, and that was his worst season (this season could be debatable). It was also the last time we had a 1000 yard WR (Conway).

23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Great post!

People like to ascribe nefarious motives to everything, so they can prop up their conspiracy theories or whatever.

I agree with you, I think it is pretty much what we were told. A.J. and Marty had different ideas about how to approach things. They weren't on the same page. They eventually reached a point where it wasn't going to work. Most everything was in place, so A.J. didn't want to blow it up and start over. He hired the guys who he THOUGHT would provide continuity. It didn't work out as well as he thought it would. He is making adjustments.

• Like Like x 1
  24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Bigger than the Marv Levy era in Buffalo, huh?

I mean, they had at least as much talent as the chargers, yet... no ring.

So that team was an epic failure?

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Uhhhhhhhhh. I missed the part where we made it to the Super Bowl 4 season in a row. The Bills of that era were a great team but they ran into buzz saws.

90 Giants... bad break
    91 Redskins... buzz saw
    92 Cowboys... buzz saw
    93 Cowboys... buzz saw

But those teams don't exist anymore and I think if we can make it to the Super Bowl, our chances of winning it all are tremendous!!!

Oh... Us vs. 94 49ers.... also a buzz saw.
    I don't feel that was a lost era at all for that reason.
    If I were a Bills fan, I would be bummed about the loss to the Giants but not about the era.

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    That's what I thought.

Change the criteria (no ring = biggest failure in NFL history)

Nice work. again.

27. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    QFT:tup::tup::tup:

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What other team has been in the Super Bowl 4 times in a row?

Don't you, Concudan and HEXEDBOLT have a "man meating" to attend? :lol:

29. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Looks like someones hyperbolic nonsense has been exposed.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Like I said "I don't feel that the Humphries/Seau era was lost because of who we had to face in the Super Bowl." We were not the best team in the league.

Bills were not the best team in the league either. Just the AFC.

None of the NFC teams of today would stand a chance in Hell against the 92, 93 Cowboys or the 94 49ers. Try and keep up!!!