1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Where are all the Padre fans?

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by tboltzcali, May 11, 2007.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Dont let it fool you. The west sucks. Like i said, if we were in another division with better teams, we wouldnt be 1 game out of first. This division is always going to be close cuz the competition sucks. My point about st louis winning was that they came through with clutch hitting, something we seriously lack. Our pitching will carry us but how long? Besides Peavy and maybe Cyoung, our pitchers will have a ? the rest of the season. Maddux shows signs of beauty but then he gets shelled the next outing. Germano looks good but hes only 2 games in. We will see what happens by the all star break. We got roughly 40+ games until then and included is a big 3 game series with Boston. June and August are going to be huge months for this team. June interleague games and rival games and August we head east. If the padres sweep the Bosox, Ill shut up the rest of the season.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I'm sick of this excuse, to be perfectly blunt.

The NL West produced the wildcard last year and that still didn't stop this from being spread.

It was pretty piss poor in 2005. This is 2007. Half of America was picking the Dodgers to win the Wrold Series this year, and the Padres are a game behind them.

Now that i'm done with my rant i'll read the rest of your post.

3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Peavy is having the best season of his career, and considering how good of a career he's had thus far that's pretty impressive.

Chris Young continues to be reliable

Greg Maddux has 2 bad games on his 2007 record. One of them happens to be his last outing so it's fresh on your mind.

Justin Germano is 3 games into the year and should be 3-0, but no biggie he's 2-0 with a 0.47 ERA

Even David Wells has been pitching slightly better than his stats show. (He's just ran out of gas a few times a tad too early...not a big surprise, but he is the 5th starter)

The Padres have the best bullpen in the majors.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this pitching staff isn't that good because it is.

It's ok to admit the Padres are doing good. You don't have to be cynical about the entire team. (Don't read that as me telling you you're not allowed to....)

4. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Dont get me wrong, Im not saying that the pads arent doing good at the moment. My point is that they arent good enough to win a championship. Fine, they win the west. Its beyond that that Im skeptical about. I just dont think they have enough tools to win in the playoffs.

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    And you would be correct, we have one of the best Pitching Staff's in baseball top to bottom.

What we need is some bats!

Bats that will work, and put the ball in play consistently.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I won't argue that the Padres need better offense.

The only thing I argue is that the roster, as is, doesn't give us the snowball's chance in hell at winning anything in the playoffs that some would have us to believe.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Thank you, I have been saying the same thing!

At one point, we had 4 guys hitting under the Mendoza line.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I'm not sure if we agree or not, so I'll clarify.

Some would have us to believe that the roster, as is, doesn't give us a snowball's chance in hell at winning anything in the playoffs.

I disagree with this assessment.

While they may not be the favorites, and while acquiring offensive help would improve their chances, I still think they'd have a fair shot with the pitching staff they have. Especially if they were hot going into the playoffs.

9. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    So if our hitting is where its at come playoff time, you are saying we have a good chance?

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I don't know if I'd label it "good" but I'd label it "fair"

When your pitching only requires you to score 2 or 3 runs a game even the Padres offense is capable of winning games.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    problem here is, when it comes playoff time we will see offensive teams that will give our pitchers real challenges.

and, our offense will make theirs look like cy young

:icon_sad:

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    The Padres pitching is facing the same competition the rest of the league is facing (for the most part) and that doesn't seem to prevent them from being the best in the league.

I understand the offense will be a crutch, but people need to stop blowing off the Padres pitching like it doesn't give them any advantage at all.

I can use your logic and point out that these other teams, when they get to the playoffs, will face pitching that will give their offense a challenge.

13. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    The problem isnt the padres pitching vs oppenents hitting, its our hitting vs opponents pitching.

Our hitting is most of the time non existent. Thats going to be the key to the rest of the year.

So I do agree that our pitching is pretty solid. Ive said that before. But our bats just dont seem to arrive in the playoffs.

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Good lord Cameron destroyed that ball on his 1st HR tonight. :icon_eek:

It's not often you see a right-handed hitter crush one like that.

15. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Hopefully he can continue to do this the rest of the year.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    We are both in full agreement what the Padres strength and weakness are.

Where we disagree is how much of an impact this weakness would have in the playoffs, as well as how much help this strength can provide.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, though.

17. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Second-decky!:tup: Right over our heads!:yes:

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm not selling the the Friar's pitching short. In fact, it pizzes me off even more knowing that Peavy could be a 25 game winner if he had a decent offense behind him.

My only complaint is that we have been SO close the last coupla of years, if they would open the poket book and sign a bat or two we could dominate.

PS. Good to see Cameron and Kouz warming up!

:icon_toast: :icon_toast:

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I think that was the plan, but then people started getting signed for 18+ mil per this past offseason.

I don't care who it is, a (***Warning*** I'm about to use a word people hate) small market team should not spend a lot of money on one player.

Teams like the Yankees can afford to do it because if they make a mistake, so what? They have the funds to sign someone else to it.

If the Padres put 18 mil per in someone and he falters or gets injured they're screwed. Think Phil Nevin/Ryan Klesko.

In order for the Padres to succeed they have to build from within. The reason they don't have much of an ability to improve right now is because Kevin Towers ****ed up the draft for so many years and the farm is weak and they are smart enough to realize that they shouldn't put all their eggs into one basket. (The Rangers learned that lesson the hard way...they're still paying ARod)

Sandy Alderson/Grady Fuson have been handling the draft for the past two years now and, coincidentally?, the low ball guys have all been looking pretty damn good for the most part.

For now we'll have to hope for the best with the mid-range signings/current as is team. In a few years they'll have better options for trading/call ups.

All that being said, they have left room for flexibility in the payroll (albeit I don't think intentionally due to aforementioned crazy offseason spending by other teams) so, while I'm not holding my breath, I'd think they'd more be able to take on extra payroll in a mid season deal this year than seasons past.

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    True enough,

the money is insane, but it is what it is. they need to figure out a way to use creative salary contracts. I'm sure that's how some of the teams work these big deals

the one good thing is, the Yanks suck!! :abq2: :abq1:

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Granted, I am speaking idealistically.

The bulk of Padres "big contracts" should be spent on keeping their own established stars before they hit free agency. The money is kept down when you're the only team the player is negotiating with.

If the player insists on testing the free agency market you do one of two things. Trade him for value before he does, or if you don't have anyone who can step in right away that particular season to replace him, just let him walk and take your compensatory draft picks.

The problem is, this strategy isn't that effective if you don't have a strong farm system. The A's do that type of stuff all the time, yet they're always in the thick of things because they always have somebody else to step in and replace the guy that left.

It's still too early to tell, but I'm liking what I'm "seeing" from Fuson/Alderson's drafts thus far. Of course, I don't follow the minors all too closely so my opinion on that particular matter doesn't carry too much weight. I generally go on what I hear/read people I know know their **** say.

• Like Like x 2
  22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I hate that we compare ourselves to the As. Look at their post sesason record since 2000.

it sucks!

They may be in the hunt every year but, dammit I want the WS ring before I take a dirt nap!!!

:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I wouldn't compare anything to the A's right now as we have more starters on the DL than we have on the field.

24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    what's you talkin about Willis??

:icon_shrug:

25. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm a diehard A's fan. Here's our current DL:

Oakland Athletics

Injuries

Player Date Status Injury
    J. Duchscherer RP May 15 15-day Right hip strain
    H. Street RP May 13 15-day Right ulnar nerve irritation
    C. Snelling LF/RF May 11 15-day Left knee contusion
    M. Piazza DH/C May 3 15-day Sprained right shoulder - out 4-6 weeks
    B. Kielty RF/LF Apr 29 60-day Strained left calf
    R. Harden SP Apr 16 15-day Right shoulder strain
    E. Loaiza SP Mar 25 60-day Spasms in right trapezius
    C. Denorfia CF/RF Mar 24 60-day Right elbow surgery - out for season
    M. Kotsay CF Mar 23 60-day Herniated disc in back - out 8-12 weeks

Bradley has also been on and off the DL and hasn't played in about a week.

This sucks ***.

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    AHH!! I mis-read your post!

that DOES suck!!

speciall Piazza - he fit right in that DH role. I like him (even if he DID play for the Dodgers!!) :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We can now officially add Bradley to the DL and Chavez hasn't played in three games.

GET THE FUCIN NEEDLE!! :lol:

BTW gramps we were in the ALCS last year. :)

• Like Like x 1
  28. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Padres are getting shutout by who?

29. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    NO ONE.

Padres UP 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th.:yes:

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,666
    One thing to say babe

KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUZZZZZZZZ!!!!