1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the training camp posts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Come on guys, fill us in.

Post pictures! Talk!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Well, now that Ant posted his "call me if you have any problems" with that telephone number on the Interent - I suspect he is kinda busy taking all of the lost puppy/kitty etc. calls. Wonder if he is answering it as "Ant's dating service, may I help you?" yet.:icon_toast:

3. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

Yes please. A crumb for a poor exile stuck in wheat/cow/redneck-land? Pretty-please? :yes:

4. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    hey whats up w/ that, YOUR our picture guy.:icon_huh:
    i was expicting all low down and pic's from you.

5. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    STOLEN!!!!!
    better find a good lawer :icon_rofl:

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    That 1st of one of Rivers is a wonderful shot .. :tup:

7. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    sdbound has come out of the closet with his camera! Check it out! :icon_toast:

8. Boltbaby

Boltbaby BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Please sir, may I have some more? :icon_bow:

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Somebody call me?

10. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    did someone say cow poke :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

11. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    This from a poster at Chargers.Com
    Players.
    Anyway heres what I saw. On defense I believe MR. Hart will have something to say about who starts at strong safety. He got all and I mean all the reps with the first team. He was confident, quick and decisive in his movements. I didn't see any indication that he thinks he won't be the starter and from his interaction and converstations with Marlon on the field it really seemed like they were trying to sync it up. From what I saw today I think Hart will be the starter on opening day and that Weddle is going to be in on nickle and dime packages.

Davis looked good at receiver and was getting a significant number of snaps with the first team. Looks like he is likely to see action early in the season. Lerk was getting some reps with the first team - I think they seem him as very even with Olivea. Olivea is still the starter but they like Lerk.

I liked some of what I saw of Wilhelm in pass coverage. That seems like the issue how much of a dropoff are we going to have with Wilhelm's pass coverage compare with Donnie. Well there was a pass to the flat where LT was really flying and Wilhelm was right there with him. LT might have picked up 5 but that would have been it. It was real good to see nice speed on Wilhelm like that - That was encouraging.

Chandler had a nice corner pattern in 7 on 7 with the 2nd team. Osgood made a nice catch on a fade pattern he wasn't really open but kind of outjumped everyone on what was not a great throw by Volek.

Florence was kind of giving the new guys a hard time - On one play he actually just grabbed the guy and wouldn't give him a release off the line. Personally I like to see that kind of competition I think it makes everyone better.

Coaching

On coaching the overall demeanor of the place seemed quieter to me. For sure the linebackers didn't seem to be having as much fun as they usually do. Now this was the afternoon practice. But the linebacker coaches were not emphasizing technique as much as you would like to see. I really noticed that they didn't have the linebackers getting low enough. They just seemed to be going 3/4 through the drills. I will say watching the linebackers the last few years they were always the group having the most fun and you saw more communication of technque from the coaches. Of course this is the first day and they don't go in pads till Monday.

The passing offense will be better this year guaranteed. The attention to detail in the passing game is going to pay great dividends for the Chargers. Again not as many ooh's and ah's but I saw more precision in the 7 on 7 ' s and 11 and 11's than we have seen in the past. Again only the first day but to me it was noticible. One thing I noticed on the 2nd team was the coaches allowed the slot receiever to line up in illegal formation. He was on the line of scrimmage. There were very few dropped balls and I would estimate the completion percentage at 75 - 85% Very few balls were hitting the ground. I feel the passing offense is going to be significantly better this year.

Bill Bradley really seemed to be coaching up the secondary. He was watching the guys like a hawk and I saw him spending a little extra time with Cromartie which I thought was encouraging. As a matter of fact it was kind of like Cromartie approached the coach and they spent a few minutes with Cromartie actually drawing the play in the dirt and going over it with Bradley. Very encouraging.

So for a 1st day summary of the coaching I would say we will be better in the Offense, and secondary while we will have to see about the linebacker coaches - They need to pay more attention to detail and get those guys having some fun.

On scheme again just the first day but a couple of things jumped out at me. First is that on the passing plays we seemed to be really spreading the ball around. Again just the first day but we might see more crossing patterns this year. I didn't see Gates catching the ball nearly as often I kind of think our receivers will be more involved in the pass offense. Again just the first day so who really know'??

On Defense I can guarantee you we will be blitzing with our safeties a significant amount of times this year. They ran a good period of dime vs passing down offense and we were bring a safety 60% of the time - that will be fun to watch this year. By the way Weddle is a starter on the dime defense. Anyway I was just there for an hour so those are some things I noticed

• Like Like x 1
  12. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Some schweet multimedia clips have been posted over on chargers.com - look down the right side of this page for the links. :tup:

Edited: There have been several paragraphs added to that same page since I first peeked at it:

Nice showing

The Chargers’ practice that was open to the public last summer drew roughly 2,000 fans. It’s obvious that Bolts Believers are excited about their team as app. 3,775 fans showed up for Saturday afternoon’s practice.

Highlight reel

The biggest play of the afternoon practice came from strong safety Clinton Hart. During team drills, wide receiver Malcom Floyd went up to make a leaping grab and appeared to secure the ball between a trio of defenders. Much to Floyd’s dismay, Hart got off the ground with the football when the dust cleared.

“I thought I had it and all of the sudden it was gone,” Floyd said. “Clinton made a great play.”

Hart followed up a strong offseason with a solid showing on the first day of training camp.

Sitting out

Parker did not participate in the afternoon workout, nor did offensive tackle Shane Olivea, who was battling a stomach illness. Cory Lekkerkerker took a majority of the first team snaps at right tackle.

This and That

- Running back Darren Sproles and wide receiver Craig Davis handled a majority of the punt return duties during special teams drills while cornerback Antonio Cromartie also got in the mix for a few snaps.

- Rookie safety Eric Weddle saw plenty of action in the afternoon practice as the team worked on its third down package. Weddle worked as the “dime safety” with the first group.

- Cornerback Drayton Florence added a dramatic, leaping interception on an under thrown ball during 7-on-7 period.

- The Chargers will be on the field for one practice Sunday. The workout will take place from 3:45 to 6 pm and is open to the public.

13. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Man, that is a great post for only an hour's worth of work. Nice job. Rep coming.

14. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Those were mini camp pics. It had to be over 85 degrees out there, and Merriman wasn't wearing a long sleeve shirt...

15. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I appreciate that, but that was from a poster at Chargers.Com, I credited him with post at the top of the page. I'm actually going today, so you can retract the Rep.

16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Just noticed that now. Keep the rep though for bringing it over.

17. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I'm getting excited about our first rounder. And I'm really glad that I called first dibs on the guy as my "Adopt a Charger".

:tup:

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Thanks for stealing that snippet at any rate.

Good read. :tup:

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

Chippie!! :yes: :icon_toast:

20. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I don't recall reading where you called dibs. :icon_shrug:

Unless you are talking about the 20+ times that you have tied it into completely unrelated topics.

:icon_rofl:

21. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

http://forums.bolttalk.net/showpost.php?p=222501&postcount=885

No good deed goes unpunished. :no: