1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Where do we run from here??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 4, 2009.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Let me just say that I think that LT is injured and is not going to be a factor for the rest of the year.

Can Sproles give us this type of game the next 3 games? I am not sure that his 180lb frame can take a full time beating. Micheal Bennett will need to be rotated in a little more often. Let's give him props for getting 24 yards on 4 carries last night.

Next Year -

Sproles - He is a free agent. Are we going to do what we did to Michael Turner and just let him go? Can he play 16+ games at this high level without his 180lb body breaking down? Remember he is also being used on special teams. He is going to demand a ton of cash and we know how AJ feels about that.

LT - Are we going to go into next year without an insurance policy? I hope not! Do we resign Bennett or do we draft a late round back?

This should be an interesting off season concerning our running game.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    IR LT and give Sproles the money.

I don't believe LT is done, far from it but Sproles needs to get more and more time on O now. That is clear. He is the heir apparent. We have Tolbert and Hester for the tough yards.

Can't see Bennett hanging around too long. I think we find another similar back in the draft.

3. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I knew we'd have to talk about this one day, I just didn't think it would be so soon.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sproles looked like he was going to drop dead a few times in the 4th quarter. Not only did he touch the ball 30 times on offense, but he also ran back kicks and punts. I don't think there's any way he can keep up that pace. Michael Bennett is going to need to be rotated in more. The way LT was running last night, I doubt he's going to be a factor the rest of the way. We need to try to limit Sproles to 20 touches on offense, in addition to his kick and punt duties.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't see us signing Sproles to a big money contract but somebody will. As far as LT is concerned, I think we do have to think about the future. I don't want to dump LT but his replacement can come in and learn from one of the best. LT also needs to take less punishment in the future.:bolt:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Sproles deserves to be paid but not starter or ridiculous money. Sproles is a scatback/returner. He is a great backup but I don't believe he could start 16 games. So again its 'get him paid but don't go nuts' - don't forget we still have a ton of people to sign like Rivers, McNeil, merriman, jackson, etc.

As far as LT goes, my annoyance with this game aside, I want to see another year before I declare the LT era to be over. Not to mention LT's contract ends in two years (2011). It just means that a backup running back needs to be found unless you have any belief in Hester/Tolbert to be that running back.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Sproles will get money. Hopefully it is from the Chargers.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Devin Hester type money. :yes: Pay him AJ.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't question Sproles heart, but can he make it through a season of being a starter in the NFL?

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    That's the best answer on this thread.
    Don't think Sproles get the money for an elite RB from other teams. Michael Turner was another caliber. We'll have LT & DS
    next year.