1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Where does Gates rank in All-Time Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Oct 23, 2014.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Amongst those I've seen play regularly I'd probably place him 3rd behind only Tomlinson and Seau, and perhaps Rivers...but I didn't start following the team until the year after Fouts retired.

What do the old-timers say?

2. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I started watching the Bolts during their “Air Coryell” days, I was a big fan of Kellen Winslow but Gates is definitely in the top 5 of all time Chargers, and he’ll probably set a few franchise records that may never be broken.

3. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    IMO:

1. Fouts
    2. Tomlinson
    3. Seau
    4. Gates
    5. Winslow

Would be my top 5, but only ranking Charger players I have seen play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Gates will be on the Bolts Ring of fame but it may end up on the third level. I've seen, heard or read about every single game from about 64 on I would have a tough time just with the top five.

Gates is the top TE of this era in my mind so he'd be high on just about anyone's list.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Fouts, Tomlinson, Seau, Alworth are the obvious picks. But, Winslow and Gates don't get a lot of attention when the Chargers are in the conversation. The routes he's running and still being able to fool this youngsters on the field is quite impressive for a 34 year old. This season, he's been nearly unstoppable. I'm so happy for him, he's a humble, hard worker who came from nothing (in terms of not being drafted).

Gates is up there, and when its all said and done I hope Rivers is there with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    One thing that boggles me is the fact that WRs, RBs, TEs etc can get into the HOF a lot easier without a ring than a QB can... Seems like a double standard. Rivers may not get in regardless of his stats without the ring.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    The ring is overvalued in some cases disregarded in others when it comes to induction into the Hall of Fame. I was discussing this topic with someone just yesterday, how Jim Plunkett & Phil Simms have 2 rings apiece (although Simms was hurt late in the season & Hostetler started the playoff games to include Super Bowl XXV) and aren’t in Canton, and there are numerous quarterbacks (Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson & others) who have 1 but will probably never even be considered.

I wondered if Dan Marino or any of the other 4 (Tarkenton, Fouts, Kelly & Moon) would trade their gold blazers for just 1 ring & otherwise pedestrian statistics and relative obscurity, rather than bask in the recognition, respect of their peers & immortality that their Hall of Fame careers provided for them, albeit without the “team accomplishment” that is a championship.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Top 3 for me.

1. Seau
    2. LT
    3. Gates
    4. Rivers

I just hope that these guys can get a Championship to San Diego before they retire. It's so disappointing to see all the greats in Charger land and no championships to their name.

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Well I guess the likes of Lance Alworth, Fred Dean, Charlie Joiner, Ron Mix and Kellen Winslow who are already in the NFL Hall of Fame don’t mean anything. They were all Chargers and yet they can’t even make someone’s top Chargers list.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    so getting a ring is important?

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    We put Fouts on a pedestal, and I love the guy, but I think Rivers is better. Rivers will have better stats at the end of his career (with way less interceptions), both were/have been so-so in the playoffs, and if Rivers plays in one more AFC champinship game he will accomplish the same as what Foust did.

Anyway

1. Tomlinson (in the "All time top 5" conversation in his position)
    2. Seau
    3. Gates (nearing the same "top 5" conversation as LT)
    4. Alworth (didn't see him play)
    5. Rivers
    6. Fouts
    7. Winslow
    8. Joiner

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't think Dean made it on the strength of his Chargers' days (granted, don't remember seeing him play for the Chargers)

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    For a QB, and entrance into the Hall of Fame yes.

You have argued in the past that if there is not ring then nothing matters and that is what I disagree with you on. There is no magical fairy dust that will be sprinkled on the team if they get a trophy. The Raiders have how many, how many decades ago? What do you think of their accomplishments? Are they all golden because of those dust covered chunks of metal?

Getting a ring is an important thing, it is not EVERYTHING. That is where we disagree based on your posts...

Not having a ring does not negate LT's record breaking season
    Not having a ring does not negate Gate's place in the record book
    Not having a ring does not eliminate what Rivers has accomplished
    Not having rings does not remove from the NFL history books the accomplishments of Chargers greats Lance Alworth, Fred Dean, Charlie Joiner, Ron Mix and Kellen Winslow.
    Not having a ring ONLY means we do what EVERY team does EVERY Year...
    TRY AND GET THE NEXT RING.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    A lot of the current fans never saw most of those Greats play. Perception is not always reality.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    We are judged by those rings. The Raider's won them in their glory days. I was at the AFC Championship game that was won by the Raiders to knock the Chargers out. We cannot take away what they have won. We keep the ancient history part going because that's all we have. Don Coryell would be in the Hall had he won one. Dan Fouts is in the Hall and yet he has no rings. And we still keep the moniker of being the best team to have never won one. All we have is, there is a Super Bowl because we challenged the Chicago Bears after we won the AFL Championship game and they declined. There is a magical fairy dust, at the end of the game there is confetti. The winners stay out and rejoice in it, the losers are in the locker room. Once you have that trophy, they look at you in a different light. You cannot take away the "CHAMPION" title once you have earned. The Raider's ask if we have rings, the answer is always NO. Would it not be better to say YES.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    And the best receiver to have ever put on a Chargers uniform was John Jefferson (JJ). Fouts to JJ was as good as it gets.

17. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    yeah, but I think you have to consider longevity with the team

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    why? He wasn't the best receiver to ever put the uniform on?Yes he held out for more pay. And yes he was dealt to Green Bay, but does that matter? He was considered the heart and soul of Air Coryell.

19. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I think that when you're talking about the best of all time (on a particular team) that dominance has to be for a considerable time, I would put Merriman in the same category. I do however agree that JJ was great, I just wish he has stayed with the team

20. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I don’t know, Wes Chandler was pretty special and he returned punts too.

21. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Bambi and Joiner have got to be in the mix! I think Fouts in #1, but in addition to Bambi and Joiner, LT, Seau, Dean, Kellen, and Gates rank right up there behind him.

22. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree...John Jefferson was an average receiver without Fouts. He just had to go into the tundra to figure it out.

23. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I always like Louie Kelcher and more recently Jamal Williams....I give them honorable mention.

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    LLLLOOOOOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    John Jeffersons departure was the beginning of the end of Air Coryell. It was never the same once Jefferson left.

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the two complimented each other on the field. JJ always wanted more money. Klien caved in once and gave him a raise. Then JJ held out again. That one was not smart on his behalf.

27. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I remember thinking it was the end of an era...then while traveling (for work) around the great lakes frequently back then, I got a lot of visability to the teams in that region and noticed that JJ was never the same...he needed Fouts and the Air Coryell scheme more than they needed him.

In my mind, Don Coryell is a True Hall of Famer!

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    He is! But I think its because we never won a Super Bowl. I have never felt so low as the day I walked out of the stadium the day Houston came in here and beat us in the Playoffs. Teams still use Nickel backs on defense. That was because of Don's offense. And we all know how many coaches have left us and moved on to become head coaches and win Super Bowls using Dons offense!

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    who can forget the game when Louie took Rolf's hand and walked with him when Rolf was an honorary team captain.If I remember correctly Louie told Rolf he would carry him if he had to.

30. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    p-837239-louie-kelcher-rolf-benirschke.jpg

• Like Like x 2