1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Where does Oliver fit in? Was he a blown pick?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thread_Killer, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't understand why we burned a supp pick on Paul Oliver. Why do that, if you don't even think he could be a #3 CB?

Am I missing something here? If Oliver was worth taking, he would be solidifying the nickel back position, allowing us to address other needs with pick 27.

2. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Oliver was a projection pick.

He flunked out of school = UGA and the applied for the supplemental, he was suposed to have been a high draft choice in this years draft if he had played an additional year.

Having said that, he was playing mostly on the scout team last year getting to know the defensive playbook, of course that is what we hope he was doing, and from all accounts AJ still likes the kid, but he appears to not have the requisite second gear or catch up speed to keep up with NFL receivers so the papaer as you may have read is speculating that he will be moved to Safety. But I have my doubts because he is only 5'10 and change and only about 190 lbs. He looks like a nickle DB or 6th DB, pre-season will give us fans our first good look at him.

If he's a bust it will be obvious but then again this was only a 4th round pick, not like AJ spent a no 1 on the kid. Sammy Davis now that was a bust!! Kiel busted himself out fo the league.

Stan :rivers17:

3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    not sure if there is such thing as a blown 4th round pick lol but anyway if u ever read around u would know that oliver is taking weddles spot at dimeback so they will be able to tell if he is best suited at cb or safety, so oliver is in the postion they want him for not the #3 CB, why else would u think everyone had us going after corners in mock drafts lol

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    From what i red yesterday and friday at the UT and others, Oliver will take over at dime back and play that corner/safety role that Weddle had initially. I definitely think this is because he hasn't been able to handle what he's been shown at cornerback

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Nope, Oliver is going to be a good one. He will get a lok at safety and be versatile at both safety and CB. He will play a lot next season.

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Good to see ya TK! I was just thinking to myself the other day that you had been conspicuously absent for a while.

I'm very down on the Oliver situation, but I would encourage you to share the optimism of Boltjolt. I really feel like it was a wasted pick right now. If he were really SO promising as a safety why would we lock up Clinton Hart? If he had any promise as a CB why would we draft a CB in the first this year? :icon_shrug:

Honestly, I can't see any further than that. I've been hearing from a couple people here that he really does have a great skill set and he will be an every down guy eventually... But that opinion is certainly not reflected in our personnel moves this offseason.

7. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I think the plan is he'll definitely move to safety and take over Weddle's old role as dime back and backup safety. Then he should pressure Hart over the next couple years.

8. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Probably getting groomed for Safety, which explains why Hart was signed to a long term deal, and why we've gone CB in the draft.

9. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    One or Two of these guys are going to get cut. At least one does:

Gordon
    Gregory
    Tribble

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I personally like the move of Oliver to a Dime back, and backup Safety....By us drafting Cason we get a guy who has great character, active in the community, and was a 4 year productive starter at Arizona...Cason, Jammer, Cromartie, Weddle, Hart= Best secondary in the NFL....

Oakland has a good secondary, with Asomuogha, Hall, Huff, Wilson

But not even on the same level as SD. We led the league in picks last year with 30, and getting Cason makes us the best in the NFL!

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That was my thinking as well. If we go to 4 corners, I'll bet Gordon gets the nod over Oliver; he just seems like a swingman who will add depth in case of injury.

PS. I am also hearing BoltJolt's optimism. Hopefully I'll feel it as well in a few months. :lol:

PPS. I can't post at work much anymore, too damn busy. I still lurk and laugh at the personal attacks though. :lol:

12. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    AJ is just loading up the ammo for the teams we have to contend with in the AFC

Line 'em up 3 deep and let 'em compete!!

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I guess you can concieveably move Oliver behind Clinton Hart and Eric Weddle although Dejuan Tribble might be htere too

14. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Gotta say, im not sure where Oliver will play but if he plays a CB as well as safety, im sure not conceding that Cason will beat him out. I like Cason a lot but i also like Oliver too and he has a year in our system and he can play too.

We'll see. Its a nice problem to have. I know Oliver will see the field a lot this season no matter what his possition is.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't see tribble making the team. Gregory and Gordon have a tense camp ahead of them.

16. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    thats what we have read and the chargers have said so i think your right:tup:

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Clinton Hart is a very serviceable safety, despite what some people think of him. He only began to start last year after limited experience. Oliver left school early and as a fourth round pick, if he becomes a useful dime back or becomes reliable depth then there is no way the pick was wasted. He will only come into the full flow of camps this year, since the learning curve will level out some.

18. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    my college team is Arizona, i seen every game of Cason's, this guy would run circles around Oliver, dood is a star, he wasnt DB of the year in college for anything:tup:

19. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    my college team is Arizona, i seen every game of Cason's, this guy would run circles around Oliver, dood is a star, he wasnt DB of the year in college for anything:tup:

20. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Oliver fits in as our primary backup at S. Look at the depth at that position. IMO, if a better S was available via CB; we probably would be looking at a different scenario. The guy is a nice player with good ball skills. Well worth the late fourth rounder we gave up to get him.

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Stack 'em 3 (or 4) deep and let 'em compete.

This team is finally in position to draft for depth. So I just don't see how Oliver will be a "bust" or "blown pick" if he ends up getting bumped to the practice squad or outright released. It just means that he bolstered the competition and the best player emerged.

Tell ya what, I just can't bring myself to nitpick right now. I've endured waaaaaay too many miserable seasons to worry about a supplemental pick not making the squad. But I understand... we do need stuff to talk about in here. :bolt: