1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Where is Floyds LTC?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LightEmUp, Oct 28, 2010.

1. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Malcom Floyd signed his tender - you know, all it took for VJ to get his LTC. Today Malcom Floyd is injured and has yet to sign a LTC. If this injury hampers his on the field play this year where does that leave him next year?

Week 8, no long term contract.

Is Malcom worried? Time will tell.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't think anybody who said VJ could have gotten a long-term contract had he signed his tender insisted that he'd get one within 8 weeks.

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    [​IMG]

4. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    SO when exactly does this process happen? Does the athlete know? What happens if they get injured? What a cop-out excuse from you.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    How the hell am I supposed to know when it would happen? All I know is history proves AJ will give them the LTC. Look at all the players who didn't play strong-arm games that he's extended.

Hell, he's even extended some that have played those games. (Gates, McNeil)

And if you're trying to play the angle that Floyd might be screwed because he got injured prior to a LTC what kind of money is Jackson pulling in now?

Injuries are a part of the risk players are taking. I can ask the question "what happens if the Chargers sign him long term and then he gets injured?"

Injuries suck. If they happen someone is getting screwed financially. Is it any worse for us as fans if the person getting screwed is the player or the team?

6. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Thats all you needed to say from the jump. Screw the player, not the team. And you wonder why guys leave, vets talk **** and no one wants to overachieve on this team. Way to take care of your soldiers.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Where exactly did I says crew the player not the team?

8. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    = That pretty much sums it up after your post. Does it not? Or you can talk your way out of what you said or say you meant something else.......

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    How do you read "screw the player not the team" out of that? That question doesn't favor either, it just points out that neither situation is any worse for us as
    fans who only want to see the player on the field.

I mean, I can jump to the same conclusion from your stance and presume that you don't care about the team's well being so long as the player is getting paid.

Do you not agree that the team is getting screwed if they sign a player long-term and he subsequently gets injured? You don't seem to care about that possibility. You only want to focus on how the player might be screwed if he gets injured before the LTC.

10. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Politician.

Always finding that grey area so you can say everything but never say anything.

Game OVER!!!

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I like how you say that I "say everything but never say anything" in a post where you completely ignore every point made in the post you quoted in favor of name calling and trite. :lol:

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Malcolm needs to earn his paycheck THIS year. $3 million is a lot of money for a dude who was paid relative peanuts prior to this year. Is he worth a long term contract ? He needs to prove it to me. One 200 yard game and then nothing does not motivate me to say "sign this dude now". Show me you are worthy. I need to see more of this guy on a regular basis. Is Malcolm a legit one or two receiver ? A two I would say yes. A number one ? No. Not yet. He could be but he needs to get his as.s on the field. Now. Yesterday. And produce.

13. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I agree Trump but didnt the Chargers already say he was worth more when they said he was good enough to be our #1 receiver. We are an elite team afterall with talent top to bottom so being the #1 receiver here should mean LTC should it not?

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    So how many players get signed to long term deals DURING the season anyway? I don't see Tom BRady or Peyton Manning getting one right now. McNeil (since I know that'll be brought up) is a special case.

Floyd is doing things the right way and if he doesn't ask for absurd amounts of money he'll probably be signed long term UNLESS the Chargers worry about him and the injury bug.

Are you just trying to stir the pot or are you new to the NFL? Just asking

15. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    2 and 2 has already been put together. This is a question in relation to the VJ scenario.

Floyd is currently injured. If that injury hampers him the rest of the season where does his LTC stand? Thats the point of this thread. That certainty is a major part of the contract negotiation process. Something many AJ backers dismissed is happening right before our eyes. I might be confused. Did Manning and Brady sign one year tenders? I just dont know.

Edit - I looked up peyton and he is in the last year of his contract. That hardly applies to a one year tender.

I know plenty about the NFL. Thats why this question was asked.

Telling a player to sign a one year deal that is obviously more to the team than a one year rental is obsurd. Only in AJ's fortune 500 fantasy world does that work.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    VJ signed his tender now because he realized he lost and that his only prayer of getting out of SD as an unrestricted free agent was to play enough games to earn a year's credit. He basically lost and is surrendering

Your theory seems to be a sarcastic question as to why Floyd hasn't gotten a long term deal when he played by AJ's rules, which would be in line with your constant hypothesis that AJ sucks.

My point is two fold; 1) Floyd had to show he could duplicate his success and his lack of injuries for another year (trumpet man among others argued that). Floyd came into the year with a signed tag earning more then he had ever before with the promise of more if he could have another good year. If he's injured all year then I have no idea what happens to a LTC. The other option was for him to go the VJ route, and we saw how well that worked. and 2) that neither AJ nor any other GM signs a player in the middle of the year to a long term deal. The rule applies to ALL players, tagged or going into a contract. If you know as much about the NFL as you claim to know, you'd realize that teams don't normally enter into negotiations with players during the season. It's seen as a distraction for the player with too little benefit to the GM. Something you seem to ignore when opening up another thread for another line of AJ bashing.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    cleverly disguised bash the front office/AJ thread

nice work LEU, the trolling is strong with this one

18. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Basically you just gave me GM excuses. You still havent looked at this from a players perspective, which is all I was trying to get across.

And Vj didnt lose and Aj didnt win, the team lost, the fans lost. I wouldnt brag about that and nobody but the AJ followers are. Not even Aj is bragging about it. The media, his peers and players all across the league have spoken out about him. This wasnt a win for AJ. Getting our pro bowl WR back week 11 is a win for AJ? LoL.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    You do realize that there's a difference between being a team's WR#1 (you can't call him the #1 Receiver on this team as as long AG is here, he'll be the primary receiver in Rivers' eyes) and being paid as a Top WR #1. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps Floyd and his agent weren't so eager to sign whatever deal the Chargers might have put on the table initially because it was likely based off of past performance versus projected ceiling? In other words, we don't know for a fact he wasn't offered a contract that paid out at roughly the $3 million annual he's making this year (with a tidy signing bonus) because that's about what the one season of 800 yards performance is worth in today's market, and just decided not to take that offer because he figured he could seize the opportunity to be the top WR on the depth chart and earn himself more scratch. It's a calculated risk on the part of the player, one that many would take willingly given the kind of payday he could have been looking at if he had a breakout similar to what Miles Austin had last season for the Boys; but one that thus far has not proved to be a wise one.

Chances are, unless an impasse is reached over contract figures, as long as he gets healthy again and produces he'll get some sort of LTC offer because given the debacle that is Buster Davis, I really doubt that AJ wants to have to list WR as an early draft need... unless of course we're looking at a guaranteed crack at AJ Green (which is going to require a Top 3 pick).

• Like Like x 1
  20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    :clap: for people that use their heads.

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not remember the Chargers ever saying or implying Floyd was good enough to be our number one receiver. We acquired Crayton as a solid 2 from the Cowboys. Does that bump up Floyd ? I do not think so as one would assume in these cases. Why ? Crayton could have been a no vote of confidence in Floyd is one way to look at it or simply WR insurance or both. I tend to think it is a bit of both.

The long term contract is on hold I'd say until Floyd shows he can finish this season and continue to produce at a high level. This is one dude who I would wait and evaluate at the end of the season...then pounce like a mongoose.

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Your just giving GM bashing. I can understand the players' perspective - this was a bust year for alot of guys like McNeil and Floyd and Jackson because of the labor issue. You know what? Tough ****. That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Jackson chose to hold out even though he had absolutely no power and there was no way he was going to win in this. He plays for part of a year for alot less then he demanded and has earned himself a horrible reputation. In addition it was shown the Chargers can have the best offense in the league without VJ. That's not a win. AJ showed everyone he won't back down from someone holding out, I'd call that a win as it's simple proof that if you do things the right way, you'll get paid (McNeil, Gates, Rivers, etc). So it's definitely an AJ win. But your an AJ hater so I don't expect you to see beyond your bias.

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    [​IMG]

24. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Lightemup do you usually just look to pick apart other people's posts instead of thinking of something original to say? Maybe I'm missing something? Or maybe your original posts are all trolling posts, that's what I normally see. You'll have to excuse me if I don't plumb through all your material.

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    He's a Jets fan now that LT plays for them. He thinks the Chargers owe him something though. I don't know what that is exactly.

26. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    LightEmUp: "Way to take care of your soldiers. ...AJ didn't win, the team lost..."

These are the facts that just fry the buh-goozle off the very ordinary bobbin'-head, bolt-bot! I believe your premise addressing the root of what's happening is on point. With exception to Turner's lack of commitment to the run, every issue that can't be attributed to the lack of personnel, can be attributed to the treatment of proven personnel. Both are a reflection of the front office (Spanos & Smith)! This group has had their fill and are sending a message of their own. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Make no mistake, Norv Turner had absolutely no control over this charade that passed for an offseason camp around here.

Same with your point on Ryan Mathews. It's irrefutable that the team reached to get this guy, which suggests they deemed him a priority. Yet there hasn't been a commitment to make him their stallion, their factor-back opposing defenses have to gear up for. Some say the team has had to play from behind. The best circumstance for running the football is to be behind with no time left. The next-best scenario is to be behind with plenty of time. When the outcome is still in doubt, common wisdom is to take what the defense gives you. Surely, if the Chargers are eliminated from contention early and there's still no emphasis to feature Mathews, everyone will get it then.

With respect to Malcolm Floyd, the coaching staff know exactly what they have. Note the player doesn't have to prove himself, he has to keep proving himself. :icon_rofl: Once again, whatever the concern, all the chargers had to do was offer Floyd an incentive-structured package. This protects the Chargers investment, yet compensates Floyd proportionately with his production. But he too, isn't worthy. Has the team taken care of their poster boy? Of course, but you need a lot of players. And it's too early to contend that McNeill is one of those players.

anteater: "... this was a bust year for a lot of guys like McNeil and Floyd and Jackson because of the labor issue. You know what? Tough ****."

Tough $h!+ for who genius, huh? Still don't get it do ya? Looks like tough fuq'n $h!+ for Deano & AJ Smith as well. And tough $h!+ for people like yourself for that matter! Enjoying the SB run you so envisioned? But hey, forget all that. What you know is your hero has forced in a pro-bowl rec'r to play for less than the punter. :icon_rofl: Bravo!

The LBC: "... there's a difference between being a team's WR#1 (you can't call him the #1 Receiver on this team as long AG is here...) and being paid as a Top WR #1. ... we don't know for a fact he wasn't offered a contract that paid out at roughly the $3 million [annually] and [he] just decided not to take that offer because he figured he could seize the opportunity to be the top WR on the depth chart and [gain greater leverage next year]."

I understand your initial point, but the only asset Floyd lacks is an exceptional ability to gain separation. You want to have someone who can stretch the defense and ignoring Floyd is a deadly mistake. As to your hypothetical I cited, consider this:

"The San Diego Chargers finally saw WR Malcolm Floyd sign his tender offer yesterday, ending his holdout." Floyd Signs, Jackson and McNeill face problems | Yardbarker.com

"The Chargers decided to play hardball and weren't going to raise their salary tender to Floyd, so he decided to accept the contract tender and join the team's offseason program." CHARGERS: Floyd signs contract to return to team

So, the only offer was the one he signed. It's unfortunate because just like all the others, Floyd wants something long-term. Why is that? The contention that these players want the world and for the team to take all the risk simply isn't true. These guys want management to recognize their production and market-value or be forced to cut them so they can go elsewhere. That is all any of them has asked for. I don't have the Patriot game to breakdown but I did see some of it. The Chargers didn't look very good offensively, except late, when it could be argued that New England played against the deep strike.

The team may have made a similar investment in Patrick Crayton to that of Floyd, but he in no way is comparable. Consider the play they had Crayton in the X slot. He ran a stop-n-go and had a step when the ball was thrown, but again Rivers placed it short allowing the DB to get back into it and intercept the ball. Problem is, Crayton never challenged for the football. He's not going to give them that, he's best when his role is to test the depth of the secondary. Not saying the result would have been different, but if that were Floyd, he definitely would've challenged for the ball. As for Crayton being in the X slot, Turner knows best, but I would only expect that when they want his block on the back side of a run.

The other call Turner made that I'd question (and I'm sure this was discussed on the gameday thread), was opting for the 50yd FG attempt by his new kicker. I would think Rivers picking up 2yds was the safer bet.

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I reckon all the prognosticators can look into their crystal ball and see that nothing is happening behind the scenes in private.

28. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Great post! :)