1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Where the AFC West stands in Pro Bowl voting

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

It extends a few more weeks, but early Pro Bowl voting is out. Fan voting accounts for a third of the final tally with players and coaches making up the other two-thirds.

The following is the positions where the AFC West is represented in the top five of voting:

2. Jay Cutler, Denver Broncos, 308,166 votes
    4. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers, 258,681

My take: I wouldn't be surprised if both Cutler and Rivers advanced to the Pro Bowl. Both players are having big years.

Running back

2. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers, 263,584

My take: Tomlinson is not having a very good year because of injuries. But this isn't a very good year for running backs in the AFC, so he has a chance.

Wide receiver

1. Brandon Marshall, Denver Broncos, 232,234

My take: I'm surprised Marshall is leading the voting. The third-year player is worthy of a spot but there are some big names that he has passed in the fan voting thus far.

Tight end

1. Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers, 195,580
    2. Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City Chiefs, 191,648

My take: If an AFC West tight end should be leading the fan voting, it should be Gonzalez. He is having a very solid season. Gates is getting it together in recent weeks after dealing with the effects of off-season toe surgery. Gates has a chance to be a Pro Bowl but he shouldn't be ahead of Gonzalez right now.

5. Nick Hardwick, San Diego Chargers, 67,711

My take: Hardwick is a good player who is coming off an injury. The Chargers' offensive line isn't playing great in the run game and Hardwick could have difficulty making the Pro Bowl this season.

1. Champ Bailey, Denver Broncos, 153,765
    3. Antonio Cromartie, San Diego Chargers, 104,958
    4. Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland Raiders, 79,408

My take: Asomugha should be leading the conference in voting. If he doesn't make the Pro Bowl it would be a shame. Teams throw his way an average of once a game this season. Bailey has been injured for the past month, but I can see him getting in. He was having a fine season. Cromartie has been both hurt and ineffective.

4. Sebastian Janikowski, Oakland Raiders, 43,606
    5. Matt Prater, Denver Broncos, 41,103

My take: Neither AFC West kicker will likely make it. Both Janikowski and Prater are having decent seasons, though.

1. Shane Lechler, Oakland Raiders, 51,832

My take: Lechler routinely represents the Raiders in the Pro Bowl and it wouldn't be a shock if he makes it again.

Special teams

5. Kassim Osgood, San Diego Chargers, 38,573

My take: Osgood made the Pro Bowl last season. His best chance is to be voted in by the coaches and players.

Kick return

1. Darren Sproles, San Diego Chargers, 79,522

My take: Sproles is the real deal and he deserves to go to Hawaii but the Jets' Leon Washington will challenge him.
  2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Aug 14, 2008
    Let's get Jammer to the Pro Bowl - anyone else at least feel he deserves it this year especially over Cromartie? If Cromartie gets to go to Hawaii he will embarass the AFC and especially the Chargers. Wait! Why is Cromarite even in the running?!! He shouldn't even be considered! Whoever votes for Cromarite isn't really paying attention to the NFL and voting based on names alone or something.
  3. BoltinPortugal

BoltinPortugal BoltTalker

Nov 1, 2008
    This just goes to show that what the average fan knows of the other teams is based on highlight reels and media pumping. I include myself in this group btw, but i do know the Chargers and certainly we can all agree that Jammer is having a fantastic year, while Cromartie is having an awful one.

And what does sci-fi has to do to get to the Probowl!? At least the players and coaches know how good Jammer and Scifres are and how Cromartie really doesn't deserve to be on that list, based on this year alone.

Great to see Sproles leading the kick returners!!
  4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Aug 12, 2006
    Yeah, just goes to show what a joke the fan voting is. Cro has been one of the worst corners in the NFL this season not one of the best. And I hate saying this. Heck I even went out and got myself an authentic alternate Cro for London!!!. Not that I won't wear it again, I will. I expect him to sort himself out and play up to his abilities.

While Lechler has been his usual self (outkicking his coverage), Scifres has been far and away the best punter in the NFL the last 2 years (this is not just homerism).

Here's hoping that the players and coaches (making up 2 thirds of the voting) vote sensibly and give Jammer and Scifres the long deserved recognition. For the record, in London Scifres did tell me he expected to go and would be real pissed if he did not.

Apart from those 2, the only others deserving are Rivers and LT (LT only because the AFC RBs have been average enough). Having said that LT needs to have a great remaining 6 games to fully justify inclusion. Gates kinda falls into this category too imho.
  5. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Mar 10, 2007
    No AFC quarterback is having better stats than Rivers. Cutler is second IMO. I imagine Favre, and Manning are leading the voting no doubt. Thats BS.:icon_evil: