1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Where to rent in san diego?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by !~BOLT~!, Feb 22, 2007.

1. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    what part should i be looking to spend less than 1400 a month and being able to enjoy my suroundings? also anyone in the medical field which hospital would you recomend for pay and overall structure?

• Like Like x 1
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I had a 2 bedroom down in southbay right off of Coronado Ave that was only 1050/mo.

The area wasn't great, but it was pretty nice though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    hollywood, so i should have high hopes in finding a decent three bedroom for around the price i said in a decent area, or is that just asking too much? if it is, i guess im heading towards aspen or arizona, just want to keep san diego as my front runner and make it happen.

4. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    not many doctors frequent this site i take it?

i was born at kaiser in el cajon, i imagine there are much nicer places to work.

5. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Hi Bolt,

Here's a link to rentals offered through the classifieds on-line for the local paper, the SD Union:
    http://sdhomessearch.signonsandiego.com/Rentals/SearchIndex.asp

It's breaks the county into regions. Perhaps it will give you some insight about where to where you might be able to afford to rent.
    Clairemont (central inland), is very central for the whole area.
    If I wasnt working in north county, I would like to live there.
    A little older, but well-kept IMHO. Toby's bro lives in Clairemont.

If you find an area you are interested in, let us know. We will probably have an opinion on whether its a good place.

Good Luck!

~rexy~

• Like Like x 1
  6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    3 bedrooms for $1400 is kind of a strech, but not totally unheard of. I think it kinda depends on exactly what you mean by "decent area." I grew up in south san diego and there are quite a few communities in which you might find a three bedroom pad for $1400/month. The thing about south san diego is that, moreso than further north, the population is prodominantly hispanic. But that doesn't make it any less "decent" of a place to live. There are some very nice suburban communities in Chula Vista. I guess basically what I'm saying is I think Chula Vista would be your best bet, unless you don't like Mexicans. There are also a hospital and a ton of private practices in the area.

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    North Park/Normal Heights is an up and coming area smack dab in the middle of everything. It's a great area that that seems like it's 5 minutes from anywhere in San Diego. The beaches are 5 miles down the 8 and it's right on Balboa Park (thus the "Park" in North Park).

South Park is another really nice area also sitting on Balboa Park.

I live in Normal Heights on the North Side of Adams and I love it.

http://gothere.com/sandiego/NorthPark/

http://normalheights.org/

This is a great list to help you out:

http://sandiego.about.com/cs/neighborhoods/tp/top_hoods.htm

8. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    thanks fellas, i honestly never thought id be able to move back pretty much based on living expense and having a family now. soo fuqin stoked to actually be hunting for a place, you will all be the first to know when i get home.

9. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Lucky man! I'd love to be able to afford to move back home, but let's face it, there's no way we could find another 4-BR, 3-BA house on 2 3/4 acres for $1050/month like we have here. In Oregon, a family can still live pretty well on a nurse's and a maintenance man's salaries, even though prices have gone through the roof here in the past 10 years or so. In SD, we couldn't afford a one-hole privy. SO, here we stay.

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    I havn't lived in SD in 13 years, but Golden Hill was where I lived last. It had some older houses that were rentals and pretty reasonable. I liked the neighborhood although it had a few bad seeds, but it may have gotten worse since I lived there.

11. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205

thats exactly what my parents did was moved us to central oregon. of course bend got a little crazy in price for a while too.

12. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    You ain't kidding...........Bend was the "happening" place for a long time, and the cost of living rose accordingly. Now it's pretty much like that all over western and central OR---high prices and not-so-high-paying jobs.

I can't complain too much, though. We do OK, can't say we're starving, which is a helluva lot better than a lot of folks are doing. But sometimes, in the dead of winter when it's been chilly and raining for three or four solid weeks, I wish I could at least come down and visit for a few months, or at least until our beautiful Oregon summer begins!

13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

14. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
  15. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    well after many months i finally have a contract on my 4k sq ft home in va, off to search for a 500 sq ft shanti in san diego.ive been looking in santee because i grew up there, although i know i don't wanna live there it just keeps getting typed by my fingers. imperial beach looks tempting due to the beach although the price suggests its a ****** area.

someone help me.

16. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Santee... Well, I just think there are MUCH better options. Not to knock the place you grew up...

Rolando is popular these days. Really cute neighborhood, just a little hot for my liking. But since you grew up in Santee, it's nothing you wouldn't be used to.

I'm calling Rolando Park or Talmadge for you. Talmadge NORTH of El Cajon Blvd is super cute. South... I hope you don't own a cat...

Normal Heights North of Adams is the ****. Kensington is great. South Park. You need to get in a car and see the areas before deciding. I live in Normal Heights, and I am literally 5 minutes from downtown, 5 minutes from the beach, 5 minutes from the stadium, 5 minutes from... EVERYTHING.

17. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    ec, the only reason santee is even in good thoughts with me is my memories. i know it sucks and dont plan on letting my kids grow up there. what should i expect to pay in the areas youre mentioning. im going to need three bedrooms, probably a town house.

18. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    You can get a really nice 3 bedroom condo in La Mesa, North of the 8, off of Lake Murray. Not sure of the price now, but my brother in law was renting for about 900 five years ago.

You can pick up a nice rental in Sabre Springs, (just off of Poway Rd and the 15) for about 1,200-1,300.

Both are excellent heigborhoods and put you within reach of Pomerado Hospital, (Nice new 5 story outpatient addition) and Scripps La Jolla Campus. Also close to Salk Institute's new facitilies. Oh yeah, UCSD Medical Center is right there as well.

Good Luck. I'll help with Inland North County if you would like.

19. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I have no idea... There should be houses there in the range that you are talking, and the whole area is 3 br/2 ba type homes.

I will do a drive through there and see if I can find any "for rent" flyers the next time I am in that area. I have several customers out there that work out of their garages, and I always find the whole area quite charming.

EDIT: I was just dicking around on the UT out of curiosity, and I found this in MY neighborhood.

http://sdhomessearch.signonsandiego.com/Rentals/Listing.asp?lid=12-2370623

I will go by it today and grab a flyer for you.

My neighborhood is awesome. Anyone in their right mind would love it.

20. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I will do a drive by soon as I see it was listed today. If I like it I will take some pictures and send them to you.

This price is AWESOME for this neighborhood.

21. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    i appreciate all the help SO much. i will know my exact closing date within a week of it. the buyer has up to two months to close per contingency. every area you guys are mentioning sound great, partly because i live in a shithole. the reason ec has sold my wife is the five minutes from everything line. i love la mesa although i haven't been in 8-10 years. all the help i can get will help us when we fly out to scout our new place. we plan on taking what we see and hear from you guys and mapping it out on our visit. thanks again and if you have the time i really appreciate future assistance.