1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Where were you, and what were you doing when...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BFISA, Jun 22, 2007.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Name an important historical event that occurred during your life, and post where you were and what you doing at the time.

November 22, 1963-President John F. Kennedy was assassinated.

I was a sophmore at University High School and was in Biology class. I still remember looking at a picture of paramecium when the announce ment was made that he'd been shot. It was close to 11AM, and class was almost ready to break.

The student body gathered in the courtyard waiting for news and praying that he'd survive. He didn't, of course, as we all learned in the next half hour.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    Aug 9 1995. Jerry Garcia dies.

I'm coiling 4/0 cable in the shop at san diego stage and lighting with my freind roger who's also a deadhead. Heard it from the owners brother jerry an ex hells angel. seems trivial now I suppose but felt like the end of an era.:icon_sad:

got together with some friends and got very high and reminisent after work.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    A fellow Deadhead! Thanks for that, Lash!

BFISA - I was gonna do the JFK event, but ya beat me to it! :yes: Terrible tragedy that I'll never forget.

9/11/2001 - I was at work teaching a website design class when my boss came into the room & announced that there was a report of a plane flying into the WTC. Then it was another, then the Pentagon, then PA. Class was forgotten & we all gathered together, alternately watching the Internet for news & the skies for more attacks. Terrible, terrible day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Well, I was gonna do 9/11, but Buck beat me to it, so here goes:

I remember August 16, 1977 (wow, can it have been almost 30 years ago??), the day Elvis died. I was working in a computer-chip manufacturing plant, and my co-workers and I couldn't believe what we were hearing on the radio. "It's gotta be a joke," somebody said. We all looked at him, said "Yeah, like that's really funny" and went on with what we were doing until the 'rumors' were confirmed. I swear, you could've heard snow falling in that building......the assembly line shut down, people were gathering by the radio, smoking nervously as details emerged. Everybody was crying, and the bosses even let us go home early.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    9/11 - its hte only really historic moment I was alive for

I was sleeping when the first plane hit my brother woke me up to tell me a plane hit the first tower. I know NYC, I've spent alot of my life there, so even though I was speaking the first thought (which I said which I'll never let down) was "What a dumbass pilot" and went back to sleep. I woke up, my brother told me a second plane hit the second tower and then i woke up.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I didn't take it that way, either. Just wanted to have a little variety, at least for the first few posts.

I was 6 when JFK was assassinated & at home with my mom. A Methodist church parsonage was right across the street & the current pastor had 6 kids, one a girl who was my exact age - same b'day, born in same hospital. My mom told me to run out to tell Tammy's mom that the president had been shot.

Still fascinated to this day with the story surrounding this horrible day in history.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Correctamundo, Counselor, my intent was to find out what people were doing and where they were at for any historic event: I for one, would be very interested in hearing/ reading what was going on with others when President Kennedy was assasinated, 9/11, the Northridge or 'Frisco/Oakland earthquakes, etc.

And it doesn't hafta be a tragedy...inna bit, I'll post where I was and what I was doin when Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's HR record.

8. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Same here...I was at School and i got home and it was on the news..and i was sitting there in shock

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Go for it, Buck!! :yes: :tup:

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    9/11 - I was laying in bed with my (at the time) girlfriend when I got a call from my buddy in Northern Viriginia telling me to turn on the TV. My pops was at work at the Smithsonian in DC and felt the shockwave from the impact @ the Pentagon. As much as it was a tragic loss of life I sort of experienced a sense of awe with the awareness that I was witness to something historic and geo-politically earth shaking.

November '89 - The Berlin Wall comes down - I was in the third grade living in Burbank. I just remember sitting in our little apartment with my parents watching the people of Germany hammering down the Berlin Wall. I was pretty young, but I remember my dad telling me that they'd be writing about what we were watching in the history books.

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    April 8, 1974-Hank Aaron hits 715th Home Run to break Babe Ruth's record.

I was stationed on the island of Okinawa, in the Ryukyu Islands chain. It was actually April 9th there, as the time differecne was like +18 hours, EST. Anahoo, I was a passenger in a friend of mine's vehicle, and we had pulled into Camp Samsone, Ist special Forces Group Headquarters. He needed something from the comma folks, so I sat in his car listening to AFN on the radio. The broadcast of the Braves and foogin dodgers was on, and alluva sudden Milo Hamilton went nuts describing the action as Hammerin Hank took poor Al Downing out.

It wasn't til acuppola years later that I actually saw on tape the momentous Home Run.

12. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Lived in Oregon for one year. Sitting in class in Hood River....with a window view........Mt St. Helens

Also watched a KKK procession at age 6 in front of the hardware store in Hahira, GA in '72. Cross, shotguns, hoods, etc. Didn't realize what I had witnessed until HS Civics class.....blew my mind a little.

Elvis...Driving with my mom and brother in a mint green 76 ford wagon. Mom pulled over and cried.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    On 9/11 my radio alarm was my first indication of the goings on in NYC.

I turned on the TV to see the first tower in flames and was thinking along the lines of the pilot having a heart attack or something. I was going over this in my head and thinking... Why didn't that pilot drop the plane in the Hudson vs. flying it right into a building!? :eek: Then I thought about the co pilot and what the heck was he doing???

The next plane hit and I lost those thoughts.........

14. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    1980 - USA wins the Olympic Gold Medal in Mens Hockey-- Lake Placid NY..

I was celebrating with many other wild and crazy college kids in a pub near the college I was attending in Chicago.

Yet, that was no where near as crazy as when they beat the heavily favored USSR team, a day or so earlier... Remember, "Miracle on Ice"

15. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    August 2005- Hurricane Katrina

I was watching Fox news when it struck Houston but when it struck New Orleans i was asleep but when i woke up i was watching the news and just in shock from the pictures of devistation