1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Where will Mario Williams play next year?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Oct 10, 2011.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    His season-ending pectoral injury means it's very possible, or even likely that we've seen the last of him in a Texans uniform. If the Texans make the postseason without him, it'll mean they can move on without his presence, and spend their money locking up guys like Arian Foster, Duane Brown, Matt Schaub, Brian Cushing, Glover Quin and Jacoby Jones long-term. If they miss the playoffs, then the whole team will likely be blown up and there'd be at least a 50/50 chance that he wouldn't be in the plans of the new coaching staff.

Here are the places I think he'd be most likely to land outside Houston:

New Orleans - They missed out on him in the '06 draft, and now are in a position defensively where they could use his presence in a big way, since their defense can't seem to stop anyone.

Seattle - Chris Clemons is an above average pass rusher, but their other starting DE right now is Red Bryant, who's much better suited to playing inside.

San Diego - Larry English is looking decent this year, but will have to work hard if he want's to shed the bust label. We have been sub-par at ROLB since Merriman was busted for roids.

Jacksonville - I'm sure they're salivating at the prospect of fixing a pass rush that's been anemic for a few years now by plucking a blue chip player from a division rival.

New England - They haven't made a big-name FA signing on defense since Adalius Thomas in 2007. Adalius proved to be a bust, but circumstances have become dire in New England in terms of lacking any sort of ability to attack the QB. Williams seems like the type of player the Pats would actually break the bank for.

Atlanta - Ray Edwards has been a bust so far; John Abraham will be 34 and a free agent; Kroy Biermann can't be counted on as an every-down player.

2. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Goodbye to English, unfortunately. We need a pass rusher may as well give Williams a shot, if it is a reasonable cost.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    It hasn't really been determined if someone like that can play OLB in a 3-4.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Isn't he a DE?

5. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    He was. He is Rolb now i believe.

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Well damn, if he gets shopped and works out with the Bolts and the coaching staff likes him, why not?

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    I think he is about 8 years away, and few steps slower, before we will pull the trigger and sign him as a free agent.:D

• Like Like x 2
  8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Texans would be absolute morons to let him leave houston. Hes the 2nd best defensive linemen in the NFL

If he became a FA, i would hope AJ would absolutely break the bank for him. Give him ANYTHING he wants. And yes, that does mean make him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL, Albert Haynesworth money!

9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Yes, let's get him before anyone realizes that he is available. He will be a valuable asset to the defense, and it will only cost a few million to pick him up and put him on the roster, according to his agent. Plus, I heard that he no longer considers himself a locker room cancer. He also considers his injury as minor in nature, much like the knight from the Monty Python movie...

Pointy

10. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    He'll be staying in Houston and getting PAID with a hefty new deal, they'd be straight up fools to let him walk for nothing

• Like Like x 1
  11. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58

• Like Like x 1
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He is listed as a OLB for Houston since Wade made them a 3-4 team

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agreed. The only way they don't re-sign him is if he isn't healthy, and in that case we don't want him either

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Mario Williams is a STUD and the Texans would be absolute fools to let him walk.

15. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    That said I believe its a contract year for foster right? He'll be lookin for big money. It would be smarter to let him walk with them having ben tate but idk if they would and both him and williams will need alot of money.

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I still think he is best as a 4-3 DE. He is like a Lee Williams, Leslie O'Neal type. I can't see him ever being as productive as an OLB, i.e. if we remain a 3-4 then there is no place for him imho.

17. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    He had 5 sacks in 5 games before getting hurt. And that was while learning a whole new position. If he didnt get hurt, he probably would of become one of the best OLBs by the end of the year. The guy can fit into any defense and be a top notch player

Oh and btw, hes 290lbs. In our version of the 3-4, he could of easily been a DE and a damn good one too. The only reason he is playing OLB is because Wade philips likes DEs who just take up space, while Manusky prefers pass rushing, penetrating type DEs.

18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Is this a joke? We have likely seen the last of him in a Texans uniform? I think not. Houston would be completely and utterly retarded to let this guy walk. They aren't the Raiders....so ya. He will be in Houston for a long time.

19. jwmann2

jwmann2 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Great post but all are a long shot. Free agency is too unpredictable. Too much politics, too much about money.