1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Where's Igor?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by in_a_days, Oct 16, 2006.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    So we're five games in and Igor has four tackles and half a sack. What gives? I mean is he doing a good job by cluttering running lanes with his fat a$$? I guess that's kind of a valuable role. I know there is a lot more too football than the numbers, but it would be nice for him to at least get his name called once a week.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    blah blah blah.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    :icon_shrug:

Dood, I'm not like looking for excuses to be negative... I just wanna see this fool light up an RB every now and then!

4. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    they never run at him, always at castilllo since castillo is speed and igor is all power. Plus merriman sits next to igor alot of the time.

5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    There was a blurb about him on ESPN this morning:

An underrated piece of San Diego's stellar run defense is DE Igor Olshansky, who earned rave reviews during the preseason before being shelved for the first three weeks of the regular season with a knee injury. Though he may not show up in the stat book as often as some of his teammates, Olshansky is very physical up front and does a good job of occupying blockers.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=2618629

He's doing exactly what he supposed to be doing. He occupies two o-lineman just about every play allowing the LB's to roam free.

• Like Like x 4
  6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
  7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The perfect blurb for the question. Almost like it was written for that reason... :lol:

8. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I agree with the article. Sometimes not hearing a players name called is the best thing.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sorry if my comments seemed overly dismissive, but I wake up after a 48-19 Charger annihilation and the first thread I open is, "Where's Igor?" Sort of reminded me of the ludicrous, "What's wrong with LT?" threads from last week.

While you might not have been trying to find something negative to say, you manged to. If you watch the line and don't just follow the ball, you will see Igor standing his man up and pushing the pocket. He's doing a fine job.

It's sort of like Jamal Williams. Jamal can have 20 tackles in a season, with only a couple of sacks, and be absolutely dominant. Stats don't tell the whole story.

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    With Olshansky taking two olineman and Jamal Williams taking two on most every play.....Our LB's are going to be running free all year. Igor is a beast and we will lead the league again this year in rush defense at the end of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    No worries, man! I was irritated by the same thread so I understand where you're comin from. I was stuck listening to the game on the radio this week so there's plenty that I missed, but it sounds like the big guys up front are doin' their jobs.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, watching the game, they committed two blockers each to Igor, Jamal, and Merriman. Sometimes, Jamal and Merriman would even get a third guy chipping at them. That left Shaun Phillips and Luis Castillo free to do some damage in the backfield, which they did.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928

thank you
    so don't go criticizing my adopted charger. Remember that the majority of 3-4DEs do not get huge stats. Igor has always been a run stopper and though he's shwon improvement in pass rush, his bread and butter is clogging up running lanes

• Like Like x 1
  14. lowell

lowell BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    After watching the tape of the 49er game it is clear that Igor is fine. In the fourth quarter he was consistently dominating the LOT and getting great pressure on smith. Igor is not a liability at all....The Ukraine is STRONG!!!!!!!

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    There was one in the first half on short yardage where Igor just tossed aside his blocker and shoved the entire pile with the RB backwards a yard or two.

Nothing wrong with Igor ....

16. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Last I saw, he was playing backfield for Pittsburgh and the 49ers! :fan:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Anytime someone on our D gets a sack, Igor and Jamal should automatically get 1/4 of a sack each.

So 1/2 to the guy who actually get the QB and 1/4 to each Jamal/Igor for making it possible.

18. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I agree.... stats sometimes can be misleading.