1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Which are you more worried about this week, our defense or offense vs the 49ers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bigkdb, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    There is undoubtedly much more to worry about on defense rather than our offense. I keep seeing and reading all these headlines and articles at various websites talking about its a great test for our offense to go against there defense but if we don't see any improvement defensively we will be in a very very ****** position to go to the playoffs again this year. I'm knocking on wood that the worst Preseason offense this year, the 49ers, doesn't get rolling against us. Screw our offense, I wanna see some form tackling and plays on defense.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,500
    Would be nice to see that somebody in our linebacking group knows how to tackle. It may be preseason, but this isn't flag football.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +237
    I'm looking at the defense too, pretty sure they want open up too much. It should however be a way better lte litmus test before the VANILA that will be the 4th preseason game against the Cardinals.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    In preseason games the only thing I'm worried about are injuries.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    Yeah me too but the preseason is for development and to this point I've seen very little on defense, as a matter of fact I've seen regression

6. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    If McCoy is looking for suggestions, Rivers doesn't even put on the pads

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I don't care what they look like in the preseason because it means nothing in the standings. So long as they fix it when the games matter that's all that matters.

This wouldn't be the first, nor the last time I've seen players not play well in the preseason and play good when it counts.....and vice versa.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    The turf is a big concern. Other than that, play it safe and come back home intact. The Bolts won't show anything, same as last week and the 9ers will want to keep pace with the Seahogs.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    The fact that we play these same opponents in the regular season, two of them immediately once it begins, makes me worry even less about the quality of play in the practice games.

10. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    Its harder for things to change 180 degrees overnight. Last time we saw our defense before the preseason, we were giving it up on the ground and air. I just hope we can turn it around

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Neither.

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,175
    Glorified practice, with TV cameras running...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Good thing there's 3 weeks between the Seattle game and the regular season and not just one night.

There's a lot of fundamental differences between a game that counts and one that doesn't....ESPECIALLY when they're playing a team in a game that doesn't count that they're going to play a few weeks later when it does count. Do you seriously think they're going to be showing all of their cards against the Seahawks in a meaningless result game when they're going to be playing them again in a few weeks in a game that actually matters?

Hell, teams often play like **** in an actual meaningful game and then play great the following week. Sometimes it's just a bad game. Why am I going to panic over a couple preseason games?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I like to watch our defense get pushed around, but I'm also not going to watch that happen in a preseason game and then push the panic button like that's obviously what we're going to see for the foreseeable future.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    First, I'm not "worried" about either, since I take preseason games
    about as seriously as I take Justin Bieber.

Second, is there any question at all here?
    The offense should could continue to be one of the finest in the league...
    the D, well, let's just be polite and say that "they still have a lot to prove."

Chargers D 2014.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Now if you rephrase the question to ask me what I'm more worried about going into the regular season I'd agree that the defense has more to prove.

But I was responding to the question of what I'm more worried about going into a meaningless game tomorrow, to wit the only thing I'm worried about is hoping nobody gets injured.

16. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Although I'm not concerned about the score or outcome of any one preseason game, I am very concerned about the individual performances of our D-linemen. Seeing them get blown-up or washed out on numerous plays is troubling, and it has little to do with it being preseason and/or employing a vanilla scheme. They are losing the individual battles and that does not bode well for our hopes of improved defensive play.

I'm still hoping upgrades in the secondary and pass rush will help mask our deficiencies on the line.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    It all has to do with the wording of the question.

I'm just as worried about linemen getting beat, but the reason i'm worried about that is because I'm worried it happens when it matters. At the end of the day I don't care how bad they look tomorrow so long as it doesn't happen when it matters. That doesn't mean I won't have concern that it happens when it matters if I see that (again) tomorrow, but at the end of the day it's not tomorrow's game that I care about whether or not people get beat.

This thread was asking me what I'm more concerned about for tomorrow's game. The only thing I'm concerned about for tomorrow's game is that nobody gets injured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    Schemes and gameplaning is not what im looking for at this point either. I just dont like when we look like we don't belong on the field against other teams offenses. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't want to see them not matchup against some of the more basic offenses.
    I'm not panicking, I just don't wanna see a repeat performance of last year on defense, like the Chiefs game when we couldnt stop Knile Davis and Matt Cassel. Let's see if we can stop Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde tomorrow

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +185
    I am looking for more T-E-A-M play.... there's no "I" in team they need to show that. The D looks like eleven individuals instead of one defensive unit. If a phrase can sum up their play it's "every man for himself". All the young guys just trying to make some noise and pull off one highlight reel play or tackle to make the squad. The d-line especially needs to step up.

Another mobile QB... and we sucked trying to contain that last week. I hope Pags studied the film and can correct it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I'm just glade we're not playing the Lions. Suh might try to concuss Philip Rivers if he got the chance.

21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm not "worried" about anything, it's a preseason game...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Same as every preseason game: NO INJURIES!

23. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,500
    Other than the kicker peeing into a cup on the sidelines?........ just injuries.

• Funny Funny x 1