1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

which backups do you want to see sunday?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Dec 28, 2009.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    since I believe this will be like a preseason game (at least in the second half)

I want to see Buster Davis, Martin and Runyan get extended playing time

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Seen how we've already been treated to watching so many backups on the lines, I guess I'd like to see osgood running routes.

Its funny how peter king always mentions osgood based on his height, yet I don't think the dudes caught a ball this season :lol.

Also curious what Tolbert can do with 20 plus carries at halfback. He definitely surprised us with his speed and pass catching ability.

Runyan, I want to see him pave the road all game, and get him acclimated NOW.

I'll also pay special attention to Wilsons route running, sure he's played a little this year, but I'd like more tape to see hat he's got.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    this too (topic for another thread but I like him better than Hester)

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Tolbert for sure.

Who's Buster Davis??

:flag:

5. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    On offense I would like to see wilson and osgood get a lot of action at wr. On defense I would like to see cj spillman get a lot of action at safety and cason even though he already plays- I would like us to rest Jammer and play cason most of the game at corner.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    And maybe start Demitrius Byrd at WR opposite side...

Pointy :lol:

7. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    We'll need Tolbert in the play hoffs. Tons o' throws to manumanulelumula and Kris Wilson, run the ball with Hester. Work on nickel defense, play it all game long, tell yourself every down is 3rd down.

8. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Hahahaha pointy, I just shot milk out my nose...thanks.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Vaughn Martin - more time for him the better
    Tyronne Green - swingman needs more time period
    CJ Spillman - more playing time isn't a bad thing
    Antoine Cason - see if he's made improvement
    Buster Davis - maybe someone will take him off our hands
    Charlie Whitehurst :lol:

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Runyan should get a chance to really get some experience this season. He could be a huge part of the rotation for pass and run blocking so making sure he gets some time to practice in a game is key.

And duh, Volek! That dude absolutely needs some game time experience this week, just in case (knocking on wood!)...

11. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I agree that Cason needs more playing time, as he has yet to even really have a chance to prove himself on the field outside of a few 5 DB sets. (6 DB this year, as Grego has been the 5th DB)

:icon_rofl:

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Hey, he might still make more catches than Davis this season...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Alright I gotta say it....ITS STUPID TO SIT YOUR STARTERS THE LAST WEEK OF THE SEASON JUST BECAUSE YOUR AFRAID OF INJURY! The whole point of getting the bye week was to get rest, so use the bye week for rest. I want to see all the starters play a full 3 quarters, and then...MAYBE.... if we're up by 21 we can pull them.

I don't want to see this team giggling on the sideline if we're losing to the Redskins, or even if its a close game. They need to maintain the momentum and the killer instinct that got them this far.

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Our backups have been playing all year. :icon_tease: Maybe Volek.

15. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    You wouldn't know it by watching the product out on the field on a consistent basis :tup:.

Seriously, I do not even care about the early rounds of the draft anymore, since AJ and his crew can seem to find talent anywhere.

16. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Good point I agree to an extent but if we have a lead of more than 2 scores at half I say sit starters rest of game

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    V Martin:icon_banana:

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We need to start resting the starters with the nagging injuries. I'd start LT and let him play some, just because he hasn't had that many carries this year and needs to stay sharp, so we can rotate him in and out of the game. He won't be happy sitting, anyway. Hester and Tollbert should get a lot of work, though, and Hardwick has to play. Wilson needs some action and Runyan should play so we can see whether or not we want to give him a shot at a one or two year contract as experienced depth. I really want to see Kassim at wide out. Love to see if Buster can actually play the position. Rivers I play most of the first half and then Volek. Never hurts to prep for injuries. We've rotated our defensive lineman all season. Time to see English for an entire game and rest Merriman. Anyway, except for Dante Hughes and CJ Spillman, I can't think of anyone on the roster who hasn't had their share of action this year. So that leaves Cason, Wilson, Kassim and Runyan with a chance to show themselves for extended periods without hurting our chances to win much.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd like to see Volek actually get to throw and Hester get a lot of carries (considering he's OK).

But let our started play the first half.

20. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    We are voting on who's backsides I want to see on Sunday?

Nick "Winky" Hardwick's :tounge: Oh yeah. Some of the game.

Charlie "Bloomin" Whitehurst's :eek:hmy: Please. Oh please.

Vincent "Action" Jackson's :lttehghost: Huh uh. Some.

Runyan's and Byrd's too. Mix it up a bit.

If the Bolts view this finale as anything but meaningless, then we are probsably gonna see everyone. Starters included.

:icon_toast:

21. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    It's not just to rest for injuries or avoid them. It's also about game time repetitions. They must be prepared for anything and having a chance to test out backups, to be sure they could sub in should the unthinkable happen again, is a golden opportunity. That, and we have a rather complex rotation that is part of the plan so making sure every cog in that wheel is ready to go when it really counts is fantastic.

22. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Great thing about this season is that most of our backups have been in the rotation. But I'd like to see the following get some extended play time at their positions.

Starting Offense
    Volek - QB
    Bennett - RB
    Ghaicuic - C
    Norman - G
    Runyan - T
    Holt - LB
    Harris - LB
    English - LB
    Hughes - CB
    Cason - CB
    Ellison/Oliver - S
    Nanee/Osgood - Starting WR's (Buster will not see the field this year)
    Wilson - TE

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Definitely Bennett.