1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Which current Chargers are most likely to have their jersies retired?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jun 25, 2012.

?

Which current Charger players will have their jersey retired

1. #17 Rivers

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. #85 Gates

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. #61 Hardwick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. #23 Jammer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. #95 Phillipas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. #32 Weddle

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. #52 English

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. #24 Mathews

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Other, specify

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    With the announcement at LT's retirement ceremony that basically #21 will join the numbers of Seau, Alworth & Fouts, it got me thinking about the current group of Chargers players. We have quite a few all pro players and some that might be bound for the hall of fame. As such, whose jersey from this list do you think will join those four names with retired numbers?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Gates will have to be great for a couple more years, but I can see it happening.

Rivers may be a shoe in.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Why is English even on that list? Clary has a better chance, at least he gets on the field

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    None.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Rivers and/or Gates have the best shot - Increased likelihood with a Super Bowl win and/or HoF induction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I have to admit I had a good laugh when I saw English on the list. Perhaps it was intentionally comical?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is about the only rational reason for him to make the list

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    None of the above.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Winner

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is a good chance. There are only 3 in the franchise history.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that to retire a number the contributions of the player have to be more than simple "greatness". He has to be defining. Rivers will likely define a solid 12-15 years of Charger football. When you think of the Chargers since 2003, do you think of it as the "Gates Era", or the LT Era which subsided into the Rivers Era? Gates may win a Superbowl, and he will certainly go into the HoF if he's able to return to his earlier performance levels and maintain those levels for 4-5 years, but he will never have defined an Era of Charger Football. To me that should keep his number in play.

• Like Like x 1
  12. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I have to go with none of the above, there is just not anyone who is a legend in my mind. I'd love to see them retire English not his # perhaps that the poll was trying to indicate?

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Rivers is going to have to get a ring to get the number retired. Otherwise, I'd pick Stan the Man over him for that honor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You'd retire the number of a non-SB-winning QB who played on the team for 5 years over a non-SB-winning QB who (in theory) played for the team for 14-17 years and defined the team for 12-15 of them?

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    this

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Gates has been a part of that era longer than Rivers has.

Not that I'm saying his number should be retired.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Why? Fouts didn't need one.

18. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Maybe they could just retire the number 2012. (for starters)

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Gates has absolutely been part of that era longer than Rivers has, but so has Shaun Philips. My point was that Rivers has defined the team since the 2007 Season's Playoffs, and will, unless he's injured, likely have defined the team for 12-15 years by the time he's retiring. Gates has never defined the team, even if he's been a huge contributor to team success, especially 2004-2008.

That's why I think Philip will likely get his number retired by the Chargers, and Gates won't.

20. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    15 years !!!! (2021) :eek:

That might be pushing it a tad Ike ...............I truely don't see Rivers as the type to play till he's 39 or thereabouts, his family will take precedence over his football career in my opinion.

Gates has been an out and out Champ, but then again, I truely have trouble thinking he was more valuable than Winslow as a player though.

Simply put, the Chargers organisation doesn't hand this honour out easily, so unless there's a Superbowl victory or at the very least, a Superbowl appearance, I could truely see none of this era's players having their number retired.

I'm not even 100% convinced that LT has earnt the honour based on the criteria that has excluded many greats who have missed out before him.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    At least Stan & Co. got them to the ring dance.

22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    15 years as "the guy" is absolutely pushing it. I don't really think he'll play past 2018, which would be a 15 year career, with 13 as a starter. On the other hand, you never know. Elway played forever, Manning is giving it more, Brady isn't slowing down, and Favre was effective at 39. I think how long he plays will depend on his health, and his success. We all know he loves the game, but if he wins, he might be more willing to hang em up earlier.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Then why is #14 retired?

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    That's why I don't think this team is going to retire numbers based on Rings, or even on "Greatest Players". Plus you end up creating a bunch of problems having numbers to give out to people doing that.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good question. Perhaps because, until Rivers' #s, he was the best QB the Chargers had ever had?

If Rivers continues to put up good #s for 3-5 more years, OK. If not, I don't see it.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    My vote on Rivers assumes that he puts up good numbers for the next 6-8 seasons.

27. Thomas

Thomas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Rivers, but we need a Ring to overcome the East Coast Bias. HOF can be a beauty contest with borderline players.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    I don't think the question was posed from the prospect of if they retired today, and I think the general assumption was meant to be should current players keep playing as they have been for the rest of their careers.

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    This has nothing to do with the HOF

30. ChargerMech

ChargerMech BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I think Gates cause you can easily make the argument he's the best TE. Maybe not so much this past year with Graham and Gronk coming out. But they have only proven success for one year while only Gates and Gonzales have constantly been great.

And while I love Rivers and everything.....because of Peyton, Bress, Rodgers and Brady, you can't really say he's the best QB around.