1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Which defines Philip Rivers best...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Dec 4, 2008.

?

Philip Rivers is...

1. Norv Turner's little pet who gets anything he asks for.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Goofy country boy with a shot put arm who chokes in crunch time.

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Beneficiary of lots of offensive talent to make his stats respectable.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Possibly the worst NFL athlete you've ever seen run with a football.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Pick....

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    WTF is it with all these polls insulting coaches, players and GMs?

Get a grip people!

3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    this is turning into the UT

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I pick you as an *** clown. How's that?

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm just responding to all of the Philip Rivers ball washers who constantly rip LT. Unbelievable that it's perfectly fine with half of you guys that there is the same thread bashing LT (A true Chargers legend) on this same message board. Half of these "fans" are just NC State followers / Rivers lovers and have been casual "fans" of the Chargers for about 4 years.

Getting rid of Brees was the worst mistake we ever made. Hiring Norv is a close second.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't bash LT or Rivers. Look it up. Been a fan since '92. I don't consider that too bad since I live 3k miles away from SD.

Brees was a major choke artist. I must, however, agree that the Norv hire was a big mistake.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

I don't want to get into a peeing contest with you or any of the real Chargers fans. This thread is directed to the Rivers cult members who are on a crusade to bash LT as a scapegoat for our problems which are largely a result of the offense now running through a guy who can't handle the pressure and routinely chokes.

If Brees was running this offense, there is no doubt in my mind we would be better than 4-8 right now. I was fine with Rivers when he knew his role in 2006...and the offense ran beautifully. Now this new Rivers powered offense under Norv is a pile of shyte.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Bullshit. Brees is the QB for a LAST PLACE TEAM. Rivers is the top rated QB IN THE NFL. Go look it up.

LT is NOT having that great of a year. Accept that. Hell, I do. And I know he isn't entirely to blame for that.

10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    All the choices aren't anything I would pick. As far as I can tell, Rivers has been one of the few bright spots this season. Despite 2 or 3 terrible games he is still second in the league in passer rating. Everybody has ****** games once in awhile. WTF?

• Dan Fouts- never had a passer rating higher than 93.3 in a season.
    • Stan Humphries- never had a passer rating higher than 81.6 in a season.
    • Philip Rives- through three quarters of the season has a passer rating of 100.5

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    who exactly are the people you're calling out? not trying to be antagonistic but... I don't see a whole lot of people slamming LT. Maybe it's b/c I find the topic ridiculous and avoid it? I dunno... Rivers has had his mistakes this season, but overall he's also stepped up big time. If the line is playing like garbage it's not Phillip or LT's fault - their struggles are directly linked to craptastic O-line play and/or play calling.

Either way - insulting polls about any player who actually has a hand in the minimal success of the bolts this season = LAME

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Rivers is #2 in the NFL behind Romo and is headed south. Passer rating is a JOKE in any case. No one has had more back breaking turnovers (INTs, Fumbles, Safeties) in crucial times than Rivers. No one.

We can't score in the red zone anymore because we have a QB who wants to pad his TD stats.

LT is not having a great year for 3 reasons:

A. Our designed running power running plays and packages with blocking FB's, TE's and one blocking receiver are GONE.

B. LT played though injury for most of the year and is still facing 8/9 men fronts because defensive coordinators fear him far more than they do Rivers.

C. Our offensive line (Softwick, Goff and Clary in particular) are the worst run blocking unit in the league....We could easily upgrade right now with Forney, Newberry and Shelton at those spots...but Norv is too afraid that it will hurt our precious pass blocking.

Put LT on the Giants or Falcons right now behind their lines and even with his injuries he is over 1500 yards minimum.

13. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Did you miss the insulting poll about LT?

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

exhibit A of why the passer rating stat is a JOKE.

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807

Not at all - but p00f/MD is a troll so I don't really pay much attention to his "opinion".

:icon_shrug:

16. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    None of the above.....And why are you using descriptions that all lead in the same negative direction. It seems all the polls are asking the same question in different ways.

17. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Rivers didn't choke in the playoffs last year.

He carried the team through the playoffs. :bolt:

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    When you have 15 views and only 4 votes you are banned from starting another lame poll for 6 months. It's forum rules (read the fine print).

Sorry, but it sucks to be you. :yes:

19. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Really? It could be argued that LT won the Tennessee game with his leap over the line and keeping 8/9 men in the box the entire game to open up passing lanes....Rivers' passes to WIDE OPEN receivers weren't that impressive. Rivers also didn't finish the Indy game if you remember....and without a healthy LT / Gates, we were dead in the water against the Patriots.

20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Shouldn't you be in school right now? :icon_shrug:

21. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464
    In the Tennessee game, LT only ran for 60+ yards in the game.

Rivers was awesome having two WR's in the same game both with over a 100 yards receiving. That was only the third time in Chargers franchise history that that has ever happened. :abq2: Imagine it happening in a playoff game, the first playoff win for the Chargers in 14 years is because of Rivers. :yes:

I watched the Indy game, and with no Gates or LT, Rivers CARRIED THIS TEAM ON HIS SHOULDERS !!! To see otherwise is simply being a Rivers Hater or Brees Lover. Take your pick.

Was the TD throw to Chambers a "wide open" pass ??? How many QB's in this league make that throw ???

Oh, you must have missed the NO/Tampa game where Brees threw 2 picks in the final minute to give the game away.

Funny that you don't criticize Brees for that. :icon_shrug::tdown:

22. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Personally I could give a rats A what Brees does for New Orleans...only what he could have done better than Rivers HERE in our system...which prior to this year did not depend on the QB to carry the weight of the offense.

The difference between you and I is that you are mostly interested in humping Rivers' leg and could care less about what is good for the Chargers.....I care about the team. I've been a fan of this team for over 25 years and it disgusts me to see the state of this soft, finesse team under the Norv / Rivers regime when we SHOULD be going through the brightest period in our history.

23. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I agree, completly biased poll questions = dumb *** poster. :tdown:

24. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464
    Humping Rivers leg ? :icon_rofl:

Why not address the content of my post which is that Rivers has done great things for the Chargers including leading them to their first playoff win in 14 years.

I'm a huge Chargers fan. By the way, who made you the "fan police" ??? Do you decide who is and who isn't a good fan ? :icon_shrug:

It just seems that you are a very angry, bitter little man who only wants to start a forum fight.

Whatever.... :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    this thread fuggin sucks.

i had to do a double take and make sure i wasnt at chargers.com

26. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Please put your shovel away and stop digging, the hole you're in is deep enough.

Nonetheless you still have to complete the throws. I'd be willing to bet you couldn't...and neither could I.

Because he got a knee torn up, not because he was screwing up. If he had not played as well as he had in the three quarters he did play, we would not have been in position to win in the 4th.

Find a team that had three star players with significant injuries who would not have been in a similar position, going on the road to an undefeated opponent. They made a game of it when nobody expected them to, especially after getting pounded there in the regular season.

As for passer ratings of Fouts and Humphries versus PR's, that argument does not work. The game was far different, where D-Backs could get away with a lot more.

I'm not a PR apologist (nor am I a "leg-humper" as you so eloquently put it) but the guy is a gamer who leaves it on the field. And I respect that.

Like all of us, I'm not happy with some of the mistakes he's made this year but take a critical look at things. The O-Line play has been average at best, which has eliminated the threat of a running game even if that was the focus of the offense. PR has tried to force things at times because THERE WAS NO OTHER VIABLE CHOICE!

Like you, I have been a (nearly) lifelong fan of this team, back to the time I was 11 years old (1981). I have seen the misery and endured...

27. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    And what exactly has brees done thats so special?
    Is it his 1 playoff win 7 years as a starter?
    Is it his because of his stunning 47-43 record as a stater?

But i guess its ok because of the boatload of passing yards he gets right?

28. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    It's because he was a team player. It's because he knew his role when he was here and didn't NEED a ton of passing yards. It's because he can adapt to whatever is NEEDED by the team. He, LT and the offense were in perfect harmony....even when they lacked the talent early on....Brees learned how to be a good QB and win the hard way....He proved himself. He didn't get a high powered top ranked offense handed to him on a silver platter to act as a caretaker as Rivers did in 2006.....and then manage to help screw it up within two years when he was given more control.

29. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Rivers is doing just fine, producing great numbers and making great plays. Most of the INT's in the Red Zone though have been terribly stupid and let's face it - that oline is absolutely leaving him wide open back there. Oh! and here, we can blame Norv Turner. Better play-calling would be magnificient.

30. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_rofl: