1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Which Drafted Player was your favorite??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    [​IMG]
    Melvin Ingram, Outside Linebacker, South Carolina
    The Chargers landed the best pass-rusher in the draft without having to trade up to do so. He brings speed and toughness coming off the edge and should help improve the team's sack totals for 2012. Ingram was a fantastic pick. I'm expecting big things from him in his rookie season.

[​IMG]
    Kendall Reyes, Defensive Tackle-Defensive End, UConn
    The defensive line now appears set with the addition of Reyes, who will become a solid contributor to the Chargers' run defense. He brings a mean streak and adds plenty of power to the defensive line. Reyes will play alongside Corey Liuget and help apply pressure to the QB and stop the run.

[​IMG]
    Brandon Taylor, Safety, LSU
    Safety was a need, so the Chargers decided to reach a little for Taylor in Round 3. He brings a physical presence to the secondary and will be asked to help out in run support. Taylor will likely challenge Atari Bigby for a starting spot at strong safety alongside Eric Weddle.

This was my favorite pick in the draft I think he'll fill the void we've been missing at the SS position

[​IMG]
    Ladarius Green, Tight End, Louisiana-Lafayette
    Green could become the eventual successor to Antonio Gates. He brings much-needed speed to the tight end position. At 6' 6" and 238 pounds, he could be a valuable red-zone target for Philip Rivers.
    Green is still a work in progress, but if he can get the right coaching and learns from a future Hall of Famer in Antonio Gates, he could turn out to be a Round 4 steal.

[​IMG]
    Johnnie Troutman, Guard, Penn State
    He brings needed toughness and strength to the interior line and will add depth at guard. Troutman faces a battle to make the team at training camp, but he should earn a spot as a backup for starting guards Tyronne Green and Louis Vasquez.

[​IMG]
    David Molk, Center, Michigan
    Molk could turn out to be a steal in Round 7. He's a former winner of the Rimington Trophy, which goes to the nation's top college center, and will challenge Colin Baxter to serve as Nick Hardwick's backup. He brings experience and strength. He had an impressive career at Michigan and had 41 bench-press repetitions at the combine.

[​IMG]
    Edwin Baker, Running Back, Michigan State
    Chargers decided to take a running back to provide a backup for starter Ryan Mathews. He brings a nice combination of speed and strength and will challenge Curtis Brinkley for carries. Baker will have to have a solid training camp/preseason if he is going to make the final roster.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Personality wise, I love David Molk. The guy has an attitude that reminds me of Dielman and the way Dielman played the game.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-f...-top-center-blasts-critics-who-say-otherwise/

He's brash and confident, but he's got a massive football IQ. Attitude and size wise he reminds me of the guy that used to make our lives hell in Denver, Tom Nalen. IQ wise, I'd say he's got potential to be another Jeff Saturday. If he can stay healthy, I think he can benefit hugely from learning and working under Hardwick - in terms of being undersized but still succeeding in a power-blocking scheme.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Whats your take on the draft LBC?

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I agree on paper the 2 that were truly questionable picks IMO were Troutman and Baker but even those weren't bad picks, for all we know those 2 could end up being the best picks in the draft. If that is the case though, I may have to shoot myself in the face ;)

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Brandon Taylor and Melvin Ingram, think they're just two guys who can wreck people, something we are sorely in need of

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I think we willingly sacrificed ceiling in favor of floor early on (Days One and two) and went all out for ceiling on Day 3 (other than Baker, though... evidently there was something that 31 other front offices didn't like about Chris Polk as well to not draft him either).

Troutman is a head-scratcher, but 1) Penn State OL always get overdrafted and overvalued by virtually every front office - so ours really is no different here, and 2) he has the kind of power that if our OL coaches are everything our front office keeps singing the praise that they are, he's got potential as a road-grader RG. Truthfully, I doubt he pans out but we really don't have a true RG on the roster behind Vasquez (I'd even contend I'm not convinced Vasquez is a true RG by type), so I guess they wanted someone chunky and strong. Another case of where I'd have just gone with a UW product in Senio Kelemete.

Green, I think unless Sperry's blocking has drastically improved, beats out Sperry for the 3rd TE spot on the roster (we may even carry 4 TE's, given that we should "hopefully" not have to carry as many CB's, DL, and ILB's on the initial 53 provided we don't see as many camp injuries this year as we did last). At which point we might actually see goalline packages similar to what we ran with the trio of Gates/Manu/Wilson where Gates and Green are the outliers and McMike is moved around as a blocker.

Reyes I almost would have argued as a need. I was advocating going NT, but his run defense is stout enough that getting the value 5-Tech is about the same. When Castillo went down last year, Liuget was forced to play more minutes than he truly should have - as Martin was the other starter. And our run-defense suffered because Liuget didn't have the requisite conditioning or strength to hold up when tired against the run. Enter Reyes, whose anchor is great when he doesn't get too high with his pad-level. He also adds more - much-needed IMO - height to our DL and should be a shoe-in with enough reps to bat down at least half a dozen passes this season.

Taylor is what he is. At absolute worst he's a slightly better Gregory - good football IQ, great leadership qualities, limited physical skillset. He's the type of player though that you'll get a read on really early, so it's not like Stuckey where they're going to be sitting waiting to find out 2 or 3 years in if he's going to pan out. And a 3rd round pick isn't so high that if he gets exposed a competent front office would look past a high-end, or at least high-ceiling, guy in future drafts. Absolute worst, he's Stuckey's replacement (as Gregory's replacement) as the third safety after this season.

Baker, I doubt makes the team, but he's a 7th round comp pick so that's no huge loss. We needed to ensure we got at least another RB on the roster - and we may be better off if no rookie RB shows all that much in the preseason for us (wouldn't mind seeing the kid from Houston make the PS) as that will likely press us into signing a vet RB at some point (because injuries will hit our RB's at some point, they hit everyone's at some point...). And a steady if unspectacular "Michael Bennett" sort (note: I said "sort" not specifically Michael Bennett) offers more to this teams chances of getting back to the playoffs than any UDFA is likely going to.

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,407
    My "favorite" player is the one that makes the biggest impact for the team, period.

Sentimentality doesn't win games...... #imjustsaying

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Interesting.. I was really surprised we didn't get another DB. Especially with Alfonzo Dennard and Chase Minnifield, both had no business being there in the 7th in my eyes. And especially since CB is a need for next year with Jammer most likely gone and possibly Cason if he doesn't have a good year. I'm hoping for Tyrann Mathieu next year if he comes out..

Taylor looks as if he can pan out though. He's exactly what we needed, good character, strong leadership like you said, and a hard hitter too. I'm sure he'll beat out Stuckey, unless Stuckey shows us all he can play SS.

I thought Reyes and Green were great picks.. I know you liked the Molk pick, how about Ingram at 18? Significant value there for a versatile guy, hopefully he can pan out to be similar as Von Miller, maybe not as productive, but certainly has the skill set..

9. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +177
    i love ladarius green... reminds me a lot of jimmy graham.. both big height weight speed guys who were considered projects entering the draft.. scary part is i think ladarius is ahead of where graham was as a receiver when he entered the draft

• Like Like x 1
  10. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    Yah, i have no idea what my favorite player is.

I'm not a big fan of Melvin Ingram as a pass rusher, but i think he's solid in all other areas of the game, but the mentality on him is what i love.

But i think i'm gonna have to go with LBC on this one and go with Molk. He's just a guy thats gonna get the job done, doesn't matter how big of an advantage you have on him, he's gonna outwork you, he's gonna go after you and he's gonna do his job, with motor/strength/Smarts over everything. Plus i was a C back a few years ago in HS, hell i have a Nick Hardwick Jersey, I love me some C's.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    [​IMG]
    Rumor has it The Chargers have been working day and night to get Melvin some longer arms

but until then say hello to Ingramsaurusrex
    [​IMG]

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    One thing I'll say for him is he's an underrated blocker, he's not Jermichael Finley he actually lines up as a TE once in a while and blocks people. If he can get up to 250 and run some sharper routes, he could be Jimmy Graham for sure.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Dennard punched a cop a little more than a week before the draft and Minnifield has absolutely horrible tape post-knee-injury and has been getting overrated based on his underclassmen play.

I like Ingram in terms of the stability he brings more so than him being anything dynamic. Like I said, i'm more convinced we got another Phillips in him as opposed to another Merriman, but another Phillips is a great thing to have in the event we don't put another English or LaBoy opposite him. At absolute worst, Ingram's floor is Manny Lawson (he can cover, he can play the run effectively, he can move around to create better opportunities to contribute as a pass-rusher), and that sort of thing frees you up to put a younger guy with the highest possible ceiling you can lay hands on as a pure pass-rusher opposite him (see what the Niners did with Aldon Smith last year or the Packers during Clay Matthews' first 9 games) and just let the guy pin his ears back and GO 90% of the time.

I have issues with Tyrann Mathieu - I think he's going to be one of those great collegiate players who are just so-so as pro's (it happens more than people think). i'm also extremely suspicious of short corners and Mathieu's lucky if he's 5'9". I doubt we'll be able to sniff him unless he only has a so-so season, but there are some very immoral things I would do to get Xavier Rhodes on this team. Him failing, I'm fine settling for Jonathan Banks. Though the guy I really... REALLY want is the guy that's the actual player deserving of all the hype that Dontari Poe was getting: Utah's Star Lotulelei. If Cam Thomas doesn't turn a serious corner this season, Lotulelei is worthy of trading up for; much more close to being the second coming of Haloti Ngata than Poe is.

14. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    I love Melvin Ingram's Attitude. Key Kill the QB!!!!
    Brandon Taylor is key also!!!!

15. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    No, you dont get to claim Lotulelei, he's MINE, ALL MINE, i'm not letting you claim him... :p

I do really like Rhodes as well, but he's the guy i know is there, but keep forgetting about him. He'd be perfect for us.

But Lotulelei is my dream. He's very BJ Raji esque, and there's no chance hell make it to us by the end of the season, he's gonna be a top 10 pick.

This is a draft to really attack CB, NT, OLB (#1 Pass Rusher), and OL. Top 3 guys i want are Lotulelei/Rhodes/Jarvis Jones.

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Ingram - Phillips is a very good player who doesn't get a lot of credit do to his sh*t attitude and his addiction to twatting every stupid thought that comes into his head. I'm hoping beyond hope Ingram ends up more like Tamba Hali or James Harrison, but I wouldn't be totally dissapointed if he does turn into Shaun Phillips on the field. There is also a chance he turns into something else...a guy kind of in his own breed as a versaitle ILB/OLB/DE who actually does play every position in the front 7 depending on the situation. In the end this burden of potential is on Pagano.

Mathieu - I agree completely. I think his knack for big plays and air time on ESPN puts his hype in high over drive next January and people are prediction a top 10 pick. Then by April he's we all come to realize he's a 2nd round prospect because of his size. Kinda like Courtney Upshaw.

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I can see what you're saying about the floor vs. ceiling with Taylor and possibly even Reyes. But I don't see Ingram as a guy without a high ceiling. He's a bit raw as an OLB pass rusher, but he has the potential to become a James Harrison/Tamba Hali type of guy. That's not a low ceiling player.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like all of our first 4 picks with Taylor possibly the least. Excited to see what Green can bring to the air attack, especially after a few sessions with Gates.

Molk was a helluva pickup in the 7th. :tup:

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    Ingram is the no brainer because I did not think we had a chance of getting him at 18. But the pick I was most excited about when it came in was Green. Having Gates and McMichael in the same room will be unreal for his development. Sky is the limit I hope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +480
    I think we'll fall in love with Green in the preseason

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,407
    I don't get the comparison of Igram to Phillips at all....... they are completely different body types, and don't play the same. A poor comparison, if you ask me.

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +480
    I don't get you guys talking about cellings and floors, nobody knows, that's why you get first round sure things busting out of the league and guys like Brees (I'm sure at 6" with a "noddle arm") and Brady (with the muscle definition of an average dude) had low ceilings

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I guess the comparison they are referring to is Robin to Batman, Phillips is a great side kick and they feel Ingram will be the same, We need Batman!!!!

Call me greedy but I want "That Guy" the Ed Reed, Darrell Revis, Ray Lewis, Demarcus Ware, Patrick Willis type guy.
    we haven't had a guy like that since Merriman before his knee injury, I want that guy that analysts are talking about every week when they're reviewing the match ups. I don't care what position he plays on defense I just want him. We have too many Indians and no Chiefs. Yeah you can argue that Weddle is our best player on defense but he's quietly our best, everyone in San Diego or who is a Charger fan knows who he is, but everyone knows who Ray Lewis is, Everyone knows who Julius Peppers is.

I hope and pray Ingram is that guy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    No one was asking you, but since you brought it up, size has little to do with it. They are both versatile, smart, savvy players who sniff out screens, are competant in coverage, and really have no obvious weakness to their game. Like Phillips it doesn't seem Ingram will be an elite pass rusher...just a very solid one.

If you got a better comparison lets hear it, I've heard some Lamar Woodley comparisons to.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    It's more of a comparative low ceiling... i.e. lowER ceiling than some of the other OLB prospects available. Both Perry and Branch had higher pure ceilings as pass-rushers (better explosion, more prototypical build, better potential to go power-to-speed in terms of rushing). Tamba Hali was much the same in his draft class. Ironically in 2006 when Hali was drafted there were two prospects extremely similar to Andre Branch and Nick Perry, Mathias Kiwianuka and Kamerion Wimbley respectively, one of which was selected ahead of Hali.

Like I said, there's certainly potential to grow from and to carve out a new definition of the position or not be limited by a single position (see Haloti Ngata on the DL where you really can't classify him as a pure NT or 5-Tech) and we've got, it would seem, the right DC for that. All I'm saying is I'm a happy camper even if all Ingram turns out to be is another Manny Lawson, and anything else he's able to do over that is gravy.

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    On a side note The Jags brought in a Chinese kicker named Long Ding...............................best name I've ever heard

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    In all fairness, particularly now with a rookie wage scale in place, unless you take a guy with diamond in the rough potential and groom him for several years, you simply aren't going to get the "THE GUYS" picking where we do or will if we're producing records of 8-8 or better. 9 times out of 10 you need Top 10 picks to land those kind of elite ceiling AND floor prospects - heck even Dallas had a near Top 10 pick and had to give up a 2nd to trade up for a guy with Revis Lite potential (and I love me some Morris Claiborne but he's far more Marcus Trufant than Darrelle Revis).

Now, don't get me wrong, I have no qualms about trading up and trading a 1st and 2nd to get a premier prospect (particularly a pass rusher), we just need to have the team in a bit more state of stability to where we can afford to do that without creating (or maintaining) a hole on our roster that might otherwise have been salved by those picks.

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    True but Value is still everywhere you look

#12 Haloti Ngata

#13 Kamerion Wimbley

#20 Tamba Hali

#15 Brian Cushing

#26 Clay Mathews

#15 Jason Pierre Paul

#74 Justin Tuck

What Im saying is I hope one of our guys progresses into the category

• Like Like x 1
  29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Is this what you describe as polite conversation? :laugh:

Smack is smack & you can either take it or not.

Condescension (particularly when it comes in the form of self- prescription and aggrandizement) is blind, stupid, & distasteful. Denial of condescension is just poor ******* manners.

You are guilty of the whole enchilada IMO.

Phillips is ballet with a paycheck for performance. He knows performance pays, but he's no killa.

Ingram is gonna **** your daddy to get to the QB. :devilish:

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610

I'm starting to lose my cool quicker over people who criticize and call other people's opinions wrong without having the balls to offer their own...call me confrontational :). The least people can do is be confident enough to offer up their own opinions, right?