1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Which rookie receiver will grab a spot?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 8, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers have plenty of options

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Saturday, May 8, 2010

Exactly one quarter of the 28 players at this weekend’s rookie orientation at Chargers Park are wide receivers.
    It’s no coincidence that it is the largest position group here.
    The Chargers are looking for a new fifth receiver to join Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd, Legedu Naanee and Buster Davis.
    “When we’re calling college free agent (receivers) on the phone, we’re telling them this is the best deal you could ever ask for,” head coach Norv Turner said. “You can come in and compete for a spot.”
    Going into the season, the Chargers will almost certainly carry five receivers, one fewer than they have since Kassim Osgood became more special teamer than receiver in 2005. But for the first time since then, they legitimately have a receiver spot open.
    The release of Chris Chambers in October and departure of Osgood as a free agent this offseason leaves the Chargers with just four veteran receivers. Gary Banks, who has spent the past two seasons on the practice squad, will be considered the front-runner going into training camp, but one of the unrestricted free agents will make it difficult for him.
    “Banks has a chance to be a good receiver,” Turner said. “But those young guys can compete with Banks.”
    Two of the rookies, in particular, are intriguing — Jeremy Williams of Tulane and Seyi Ajirotutu of Fresno State.
    Both were undrafted because of different perceived deficiencies, particularly a lack of speed. Williams also had knee surgery in 2008, and a labrum tear was revealed at the NFL Scouting Combine.
    Their agents had calls from multiple teams as the draft concluded, but they had identified San Diego as a place they’d have an opportunity.
    “That’s why I’m here,” Williams said.
    First-round pick Ryan Mathews recently endorsed his former college teammate.
    “He’s a little overlooked,” Mathews said of Ajirotutu. “At Fresno State, we didn’t pass much. His speed killed him (in the draft process). He has game speed. He has sure hands. If I trust anyone with that long pass with two seconds left, it would be Seyi.”
    At 6-foot-4, Ajirotutu could fit in well with Floyd and Jackson. (Williams is 6-0.)
    “Here seemed like the perfect fit,” Ajirotutu said. “I’ve seen Philip Rivers in action. I want to play with him. Plus, with the big receivers they have, maybe they can teach me a thing or two.”
    Lone Ranger

On the other end of the spectrum from the receivers was the defensive lineman.
    Yes, lineman.
    Fifth-round draft pick Cam Thomas is the only rookie defensive lineman, so for much of Friday he was alone with line coach Don Johnson and assistant Regis Eller.
    “I came into this world by myself, I’m going to leave it by myself, I might as well get some work done by myself in between,” Thomas said. “It’s good for me. Once minicamp and (coaching sessions) come, there are going to be a lot of guys.”
    That is the very reason Thomas is alone this weekend and why fourth-round pick Darrell Stuckey is the only safety and free agent Traye Simmons is the only cornerback.
    “It looks funny out there,” Turner said. “But we have 10 defensive linemen on our team, so we’re not going to bring in four defensive linemen. We’ve got a lot of defensive backs, so we can’t bring any more to camp.”
    Mathews chooses 24

Mathews had said he would probably wear No. 33 but reconsidered when he got to San Diego on Thursday and will instead wear No. 24.
    There was no special reason for No. 33 other than he had worn the number before he switched to 21 in high school as a homage to LaDainian Tomlinson.
    Neither is there a special reason for No. 24.
    “Coach Turner, he gave me a sheet and there were numbers on it, and it just happened to be one,” Mathews said. “It’s closer to 21, and I just thought it looked good.”
    Teaching time

Without enough defensive players to do any effective work, the two 75-minute on-field sessions were almost exclusively individual drills. What they do outdoors in the two-day camp is an afterthought anyway.
    “Most of what we’re doing during the day is meetings,” Turner said. “… We’re trying to get them caught up. We gave them an awful lot today. We’re trying to give them a sense of urgency and understanding the playbook that we have is a little different than the one they’re coming from.”
    The orientation concludes today with meetings and then a short workout before the players return to their homes.
    Most of them will be back when offseason coaching sessions begin May 18.

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd, Legedu Naanee and Buster Davis.

I am not sold on this lineup. Especially if V-Jack is suspended.

3. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    i think davis gets demoted, and jeremy williams, Seyi Ajirotutu,Gary Banks make it

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    If Seyi and Williams do well in camp and pre-season....Buster is on the chopping block for sure.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I reckon Buster will surprise. I can't see an UDFA or Banks beat him out. Legs needs to step up too esp now that he should get more opportunities,

6. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Your living in fantasy land if you think Buster is getting demoted.

He looked good in games, and was drafted. His game speed is better than all these three WRs and he put up better college numbers.

Buster would have to do horrible and these guys who have to pull out an upset.

I don't think Banks makes it, one of the two new guys maybe both make it.

7. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    nah buster is pretty garbage of a WR, hes got decent speed and hands, but hes not great, u could put darren sproles at his post and get better results,my opinion come camp time banks sayi and willams will show way more potential than buster

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Disagree. Health is the primary factor that's kept Buster off the field.

IMO, Ajirotutu has the best chance of the FA wideouts to stick. He has everything Gary Banks has, along with better size.

Jeremy Williams is a FOOTBALL PLAYER without outstanding measureables. Unless he's a Steve Largent clone, though, I don't see Williams making the team... maybe the practice squad.

9. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    for some reason i could see williams making it, but i can tell you right now tucker will get cut and Brandon Long will take his spot

10. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    IMO Seyi and Williams have an equal shot, maybe even both make it seeing as we lost 2 wrs. Seyi has the size of a Charger WR and Williams could be a better Chris Chambers/Kassim Osgood

11. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    agreed i see williams being like naanee kind of a slot receiver

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Seyi will grab a spot though Williams is impressive to earn one as well. Buster Davis will not be Charger in 2011.

13. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Tucker makes too much coin to stay on the roster, unless he produces at a much higher level than he did last year.

IMO, Applewhite surpassed Tucker in camp last summer, and Jyles is now officially a short-timer.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Is it a sign that we have 7 UDFA WR's on the roster?

Jeremy Williams
    Seyi Ajirotoutou
    Jordyn Jackson
    Ernest Smith
    Marcel Thompson
    Bryan Walters
    Richard Goodman

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't believe it's by accident. :no:

16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    To start season, while VJ is suspended:

Floyd
    Naanee
    Davis
    Ajirotutu
    Williams

After VJ comes back, Williams is put on the practice squad or is let go.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I really think Davis has to prove he's better football player than these guys this pre-season.

If Williams comes in and runs better routes and sells out for a few tough catches, I can see Buster getting cut.

18. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    The Chargers WILL carry one more WR at least.

Osgood and Chambers gone. We replace at least one of them.

I doubt Banks will make it, both our UDFA have better measurable and did better in college. Banks only advantage is that he was on our PS.

I think it will be Seyi, however Williams has a chance.

Both could potentially make it. We do have one free spot because of Osgood that we will use on the best prospect/special team player.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Don't sell Banks short. He's tough & makes the hard catches over the middle. Age is likely his biggest enemy right now - if he can't break through to the roster this year, he's gone to make room for a younger prospect.

Buster is a good ball player & has the tools to get the job done. I'm just not sure what the real issue is with him. Sure, he's been dinged a lot, but have these injuries really been debilitating or is he just not mentally tough enough to fight through them? When he's on the field he looks good but he's got to fight for the spot.

Seyi & Williams definitely have a shot, especially with VJ facing a suspension early on. It likely will come down to who shows the goods on ST.

20. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Just going by facts, Banks will have to really impress in camp, which he hasn't really done last year.

As for Davis you want the real reason?

He was injured when he first got here. He was recovering from the injury and because of it he injured slightly another area due to the strain which was caused because of compensation from the previous injury. The Chargers gave him a wait and see approach.

During this time Nannee and Floyd showed their stuff. Chambers was still our #1/#2 WR. However this last year Chambers, due to personal problems and others, was doing poorly. As you see in KC he still has it, just not the place he was in before.

Floyd was showing his stuff and got the #2. Nannee offers different skill sets.

On gameday you have VJ, Chambers (replaced with Floyd), Osgood, and Nannee. You can only have so many guys activiated during the game day. Osgood was our special team Ace, plus he provided some blocking. Floyd and Nannee both showed talent and both were very good at special teams.

If Sproles got injured for example you would see more Buster. It would of probably been VJ, Floyd, and Buster. Buster doesn't block or tackle in special teams. Thus Nannee and Floyd were given more value since they would be involved in more plays.

So it wasn't because Buster is a bad player, just he wouldn't have been involved in as many plays. As for helping our passing games, we were a top 5 passing team I don't think we needed much help.

21. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Tucker's contract is very incentive laden mostly based on his being a starter. His 2010 salary is 570k which is barely above league minimum. Plus all of his bonus money has already been paid. If he continues to make the roster his salary for the next three years is just above the league minimum.

22. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Gary Banks is a keeper. :yes:

He has stick'em for hands. The dude does not drop balls. He reminds me of a young Charlie Joiner although Charlie was old when he played for us.

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Gates is the lynch pin. Adding Gates to the mix changes everything.

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It's the chronic injuries that will do Buster in. We can't afford to use roster space for a guy who is seldom healthy enough to see the field. He will have to show well in camp and miss no games.

26. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    All these guys were brought in to replace Kassim?!?!?

So the Chargers are going to be allowed to have 18 guys covering kicks?!?!? :icon_huh:

27. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Part of the issue is that by the time an injured player is ready to get back on the field, unless he was a starter to begin with, he doesn't automatically see game action.

VJ faced the same battle in his 2nd year... he had to wait for another player to get banged up before he got a shot to play on game day.

Buster was healthy much of this past season and was ready to play... but the wideouts ahead of him were healthy, and Naanee got the nod because he's a special teamer.

Yes, Buster's a return man, but Sproles was healthy and handling the job, so Buster sat.

28. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I'd say they are actually competing for two WR spots.

VJ, Floyd, and Naanee are pretty secure as the top 3.

That leaves Buster Davis and the other WR to compete for the remaining two.