1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Whistle Rule Needs To be Changed

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...How many times have we seen something similar, albeit not as much of an income changing catastrophe as this nightmare. Fumbles happen, the whistle is blown and the play is immediately ruled dead. That's just stupid. There needs to be modifications. Nearly everything is reviewable unless of course that stupid whistle blows. Officials make mistakes but if the play is reviewable, it can be overturned, basically saving face for that official and the NFL. In this case, because the rule is in such "Black and White", the Chargers get ripped off, the Donkies are handed a gift victory, and life supposedly goes on. PHUCK THAT!!!!:icon_evil::icon_evil:

This game is worse than the "holy roller" piece of crap. At least that play was before replay and was at least very confusing to the officials. This one was so blatantly stupid a call that it boggles the mind that one of the NFL's supposed best officials made it without even pondering what was going on. It's hard to understand why he felt it was so urgent to blow the whistle while a ball is going backwards in the first place.

2. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    is there a congress for the nfl

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The whistle rule should be modified slightly.

If the play stops due to a whistle then the ball should be dead.

If the play does not stop due to a whistle, as was the case last night with Cutler and the defender continuing to the ball, then the whistle should be ignored. This would only be determined through replay...

Thats my opinion...

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    ALL plays should be reviewable. ALL.

ESPECIALLY when the **** up determines who won the ****ing game. **** YOU ED!!!!

5. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I disagree, don't get me wrong I think we were f'ed out there, but I don't think they should change this rule. If even one player on the opposite side of the field let's up at all because they hear a whistle then the play has been changed in an immeasurable way. The true outcome can never be determined.

you'll remember last year, I can't remember the team, I think it was the vikings, but they? intercepted our ball in the end zone, after it bounced off like 3 players and ran it back for a touchdown. They called it back because the ref blew whistle thinking the safety was down by contact. It turned out later he wasn't.

Ref's screwed us, but the potential for these kind of errors sky rocket if you modify this rule in the least.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Throw all the refs into a huge pit and set them on fire.

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    This rule will be changed. Whistle or no whistle, games cannot be determined by human error. Not when we have the technology to correct mistakes.

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I wish there were any easy way to make this happen. But I'm afraid that I don't think you can possibly implement a rule that says a play can continue under any circumstances after a whistle has been blown. The whistle is God.

Otherwise you'd have guys knocking each other out after every play. A defender hears the whistle but sees the ball hit the turf and figures fumble so he blows up an unsuspecting offensive player. Not good... too much potential for guys to get hurt, and no clear indication for when a play is over.

If anything the refs need to instructed to keep their lips of the god damn whistles ANY time there is even a CHANCE that a loose ball could be a fumble. They should then have the right the rule it a dead ball and incomplete pass, but at least with the opportunity for a challenge.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    There needs to be an overruling official(s) upstairs sitting behind a monitor who can override ANY crutial call like the one that got blown at the end yesterday.

Something.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    The intent of replay is to get the right call on the field. In this instance the replay just confirmed it was a bad call, BUT it was not overturned.

REPLAY FAILED! :icon_evil:

Rule needs to be changed!

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Exactly!!!

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Well lets be productive here people! Come up with a better solution than the one they're working with now.

If the whistle doesn't mean that a play is over, how do these guys know to stop killing eachother? :icon_shrug:

OR

If the whistle still means that a play is over, how can you allow someone to pick up the ball and run with it and have it effect possession?

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It does and should but I still think in a situation like yesterday, the decision should be allowed to be reversed.
    Otherwise, what would be the purpose of reviewing it?

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Obviously, there needs to be some way of telling the teams "k guys, play is over".

There also needs to be a way to correct a mistake that effective COSTS one team a win and gives it to the other team.

How, I wish I knew. Maybe like I suggested, a league official in the booth who has the power to OVERTURN a **** call. On anything. If a few million peopl sitting at home can get a call right, the goddamn league should be able to as well. This wasn't some iffy call either. IT was CLEAR to EVERYONE Jay fumbled and we recovered. The olny reason the call was jacked was because a stupid ref with a itchy trigger mouth whistle fubared everything.

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    how about a jump ball? :icon_shrug: upps, wrong sport

P.S. Hey 1k posts :abq2:

16. BroncoJoe

BroncoJoe Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't see how they could possibly change it.

Like I said in another thread, I'd be pissed if I were you too, but bad calls happen in every game.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    They won't change it. They can't.

Enjoy your victory. We had plenty of chances to stop you, and didn't. Defense lost the game, not Ed and his premature whistle.

• Like Like x 1
  18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Congratz! :icon_party: