1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Whitehurst leaves Carroll ‘really excited about him'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Seahawks were openly questioned for the trade that brought backup Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle, along with a contract that pays him $8 million over the next two seasons.

08/15/1012:05 am

The Seahawks were openly questioned for the trade that brought backup Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle, along with a contract that pays him $8 million over the next two seasons.
    The 28-year-old signal-caller took a small but important step in attempting to quiet the critics with his performance Saturday night against the Tennessee Titans.
    Whitehurst finished 14-of-22 passing for 214 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in his Seattle debut, a 20-18 victory.
    “I hope you can see that we’re excited about Charlie,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. “We’re really excited about him. He’s a good dude who’s working hard and knows his stuff and can make the plays. And that’s going to help us somewhere down the road.”
    Whitehurst showed good poise in the pocket in delivering the ball accurately under pressure.
    Whitehurst’s first touchdown, a 51-yard, run-and-catch by Mike Williams, had more to do with the athleticism of the USC product than Whitehurst’s throwing ability.
    Whitehurst said he saw the Titans defense showing blitz on the play, and signaled to Williams, who had man coverage on the outside
    But his second touchdown, a 4-yard dart to rookie tight end Anthony McCoy, resulted from a solidly engineered eight-play, 66-yard drive that included a fourth-down conversion on a deep pass for 36 yards to Deon Butler.
    Even with the success he had on Saturday, Whitehurst understands he’s just getting started.
    “It’s nice to go out there and play well,” Whitehurst said. “But again, it’s the first preseason game. We’ve got three more preseason games, we got a long season.
    “You’d like to go out and play well every time. It’s nice that it’s the first one, but it doesn’t mean all that much.”
    WR MIKE WILLIAMS ‘EXCITED TO GET BACK’
    Returning to NFL action for the first time in three seasons, wide receiver Mike Williams got into the end zone on his long hookup with Whitehurst, and overall felt comfortable in his Seahawks debut.
    “I was really excited,” he said. “I was more excited to get back in the atmosphere and to play again. ... I’m usually more nervous when I’m thinking too much. Tonight I just kind of came out and wanted to play well and know my assignment.
    “We’ll see how the film turns out.”

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I hope he works out for them.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Clipboard Jesus will be their starting QB by the 3rd regular season game ... if not before.

Does that get you all gooey, Rip? :icon_twisted: :icon_rofl:

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's cool, I hope it all works out for him in Seattle. But thanks Charlie for helping us get Ryan Mathews!!! :tup:

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Charlie's trade helped us secure Ryan Mathews and he's contributing to Seattle more than he did with us. That is the definition of a win-win situation for everyone and very good to hear.

Dad: "Why did you pick the Seachickens?"
    Me: "Charlie Whitehurst. Preseason." lol

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Haha. That's a good point. I like when a trade is win-win too. I think it will work out for both teams like you said. Not sure if Charlie is ever going to be a Pro Bowler but you never know. Mathews definitely has OROY/Pro Bowl potential if he stays healthy. :yes:

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    We still will win more than them in this deal and also win more in the future.

Its more like WinWin-Win which is still everbody winnin.

Was tryin to see some of The Dude the other night but didnt get to see much other than the INT. Diddnt realize he finished the game with 2 Tds to make up for the slow start.

8. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Good luck Charlie. It sure didn't hurt learning from Rivers and Volek.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Love that Whitehurst is finally getting the chance he deserves.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I wish him the best except for when he faces the Bolts.

11. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    And Norv...

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good point, JL. :tup: