1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who are some other suitors for Mathews and Cody?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Seems to me like these are the two guys we have a radar lock on for our 1st round pick. A little worried that BOTH might be gone by pick #28 as they seem to be quietly sliding up some draft boards. The question is, who do we need to worry about c-blocking us for either of these guys? It always seems like the Cowboys are right in front of us...as they are again this year...and poised to do just that...Although this time it would be more likely to be Cody as an anchor for Wade's defense. I could also easily see a team like the Texans, Patriots, or Bengals haveing some extreme interest in Mathews.

My worst fear in this draft is that both Cody and Mathews are off the table and we end up reaching for the next best DT....or worse yet...gasp...another nickel CB (we know how our GM loves him some DB's). This draft is far deeper at the RB position than the kind of NT we need. Mathews seems to be the only guy at RB after Spiller who would really fit our offense well, therefore I could envision AJ grabbing him as the most potentially impactful overall player at #28.....I'm already becoming pretty convinced that if Mathews isn't there when we pick, we are going defense at 28 and will follow-up with the next best RB at 40 (probably Gerhart who I'm not too high on personally)...I think Best will be off the table within the first few picks of round 2.

2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Its an interesting prospect that both these players might be gone! I really want us to draft Cody...but I have a feeling that a 3-4 team is going to draft him higher than #28.

Mathews will probably be there at #28, but I don't think he is the best pick for us

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If Cody and Mathews aren't there, then we should go with Everson Griffen, DE USC or Jason Pierre-Paul OLB/DE, South Florida or Maurkice Pouncey, C Florida

4. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Cody is visiting Baltimore who picks at #25.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Balt has our ex-fat boy as their backup NT. I sure wish we had McKinney back here over some of the other scrubs we have

6. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Texans, Eagles and Patriots could draft Mathews ahead of us. The Texas are praying that Spiller falls to them at #20, but if not, they could still go with a RB. It all depends who the best player on the board is.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The Texans, IMO, are looking much harder at Mathews than Spiller. Spiller is much better than Slaton but still a similar type of back. Mathews brings a more punishing style.

8. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh why would they draft spiller. They already have steve slaton. That would be like us keeping sproles and drafting spiller.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    They're hoping he falls to them in the 2nd round according to their local beat writter.

Cody fans should be more concerned about Arizona, NY Jets, KC, and possibly other teams like Denver trading up from the 2nd round.