1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who are the best players in SD?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by reef shark, Oct 11, 2006.

1. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    I just wanted to see what you ppl think about our team, in terms of our 5 best players...best meaning most valuable or best in skill, w/e you think is better...
    my take:

1) Tomlinson
    2) Gates
    3) Williams
    4) Merriman (based on skill more than value)
    5) Rivers?

honorable mention: Neal, McNeill, Castillo, rest of o line, Lbs, D line..

...and McCree but hes a newcomer so i downgraded.

so far i think jammer and florence still have yet to truly prove themselves, although Jammer has been solid for a while IMO.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    1. Jamal Williams - If we lose this fat boy our defense will go to **** real quick. No other player if removed due to injury has the impact Jamal Williams does to a team.

2. You can basically insert whomever you want here because all are replaceable (even LT with Turner) - Whitey (Volek) for Rivers etc etc etc.

3. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    i wouldnt say LT is replaceable by ne1, unless butts or means comes back. i mean, turner hasnt even carried a season's load yet, not to say he cant, but he just hasnt...
    but yea williams is def top 3.

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If LT goes down with injury the season is not over.

If Jamal goes out we are fuc't.

5. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    yea tru. but what about cesaire? the dude is pretty underrated in the nfl...

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +607
    Although I agree with you about Jamal, I'd say the same thing about Rivers, if he goes down the season is pretty much over

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,456
    1. Williams- Anchor Man, lol
    2. Tomlinson- Season wouldnt be over if we lost him, but his versatility is unmatched.
    3. Merriman- Changes other teams blocking schemes by himself.
    4. Marcus McNeil!!!! who else do we have that is decent there?
    5. Gates- No better 3rd down weapon in the entire NFL.

Honerable Mention
    Philip Rivers- hurts, but not quite over if he goes down because Billy V is pretty good.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    They did an inquiery on the nfl network before the season and the question was who is the best player in the nfl. One guy said ladanian. The other said merriman.

I think most nfl folks in the know would say Jamall is in the mix as well. But he always gets overlooked.

Which makes one wonder. How good can or should this team be.

9. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +607
    Granted I didn't see many Titans games when he was playing, but didn't they say the same thing about A.J. Feeley when he sub'd for McNabb a few years back?

I think there's a reason the Titans went with Collins :icon_shrug:

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,456
    I know, linemen never get as much sex as the skill positions do.:lol:
    But guys like me and Jamal(D linemen), we are right up the gut every play, and have a huge unoticed by all effect on the game.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,456
    They said Volek was an arrogant prick, but I also know he passed over 300 yards quite a few times in the backup role for McNair.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Cesaire is not a true NT. He also does not command double coverage/teaming

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,456
    Ceaser! lol
    The guy is not half of Jamal.

But I think Marcus McNeil is priceless now that Jordan is out for the season.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Volek is the ****. I have zero worries with that dude at QB. None. Whitey can do it as well but is raw.

15. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +607
    Well, you are the prophet so I have no reason to doubt you :icon_mrgreen: (it's not like your predictions...err...prophecies are Leisure like :icon_rofl: ) but I'd rather not find out about Volek

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The prophet is wise in his ways. :icon_mrgreen:

Last week most everyone wanted Marty's balls kicked and fired and his first born burned alive then eaten.....

Now those Marty bashers have grown quiet and many attend the tailgaters and are traitorus heathens who needs their **** straightened out. :icon_eek:

17. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    1. LT
    2. Merriman
    3. Jamal
    4. Gates
    ***All are the best in the NFL for their position and you can really argue that anyone of them could be higher or lower in the ranking.

5. Rivers

• Like Like x 1
  18. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    oh yea Foley too.

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was charged Wednesday with two counts of misdemeanor DUI stemming from his Sept. 3 confrontation with an off-duty Coronado police officer that resulted in Foley being shot three times.

Foley

His arraignment was scheduled for Oct. 18, but he is not required to attend. His attorney can enter a plea for him.

Foley's attorney did not return a call seeking comment.

The player's agent, David Levine, said Foley is home recovering from several surgeries to his leg.

"He currently is unable to walk or stand without assistance," Levine said. "Right now he's going through a healing process, a very painful one, and it's unknown at this point in time how he's going to recover."

Foley was shot early on Sept. 3 near his Poway home by an off-duty Coronado police officer who had followed him for several miles after suspecting him of driving drunk.

Police said Foley, who had been partying in downtown San Diego, had a blood-alcohol level of .233 percent, nearly three times California's legal limit of .08 percent.

The charges carry enhancements that include being charged with DUI within 10 years of a prior conviction and having a blood-alcohol level exceeding .15.

Foley has been arrested at least five times since 1999, including cases that police say involved alcohol and confrontations with officers.

Chargers players have had five run-ins with the law since April.

Foley was arrested in April following a scuffle with a San Diego police officer, and linebacker Shaun Phillips was arrested in a similar incident the same month. Neither was charged with any crime.

Starting strong safety Terrence Kiel was arrested at team headquarters in September and charged with five felony counts of mailing codeine-based cough syrup to Texas. He has pleaded not guilty.

Kiel missed the Chargers' game at Baltimore on Oct. 1 but returned to practice last week and started Sunday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

I mean, CMON!! the dude didnt even have a weapon on him... and yet he got shot... this is just too suspicious for me to judge accurately w/o making some drunk comment.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,456
    I think McNeil is now crucial to our team.

20. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    i think it's really hard to say lt is replaceable. i thought the whole idea using both backs this season is to prolong lt's health and career. . if turner can average 300 carries at 4.3 ypc avg. through a five year span ill say he can replace lt. i don't doubt turner whatsoever, just tough to follow lt like consitency.

21. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    This one's easy, IMO. Philip Rivers is our most irreplaceable player and the one guy who is more important than any other on this team. We'd be in trouble with either Volek or Whitehurst at the helm, IMO, and I think PR is already making throws that only a handful of QB's in this league can make. Sure, we could still beat teams like the Raiders and Titans with one of the backups, but we'd be in serious trouble against upper-echelon teams.

But...from the other 52 players on the roster:

1.) Williams. He is irreplaceable on defense.
    2.) Gates. He is our #1 receiver and draws the full attention of the defense on passing plays. Who could we possibly replace him with?
    3.) Tomlinson. He would be #1 if not for the presence of Turner. I actually feel like we could still have a good offense without LT because Turner is a beast in his own right, though I definitely don't want to test that theory.
    4.) McNeill. Yes, he's a rookie, but right now he's the one guy on the offensive line we couldn't possibly replace.
    5.) Merriman. He draws the attention of the offense, especially on passing downs, which opens things up for Phillips and anyone else we decide to blitz. Plus, oh-by-the-way, he makes some pretty darn good plays on his own.

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,456
    :yes:
    Im down with all of those, lets just write it in stone right now.:tup:

Lets add an honerable mention for Rivers though:yes:

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I thought my mention of Rivers was pretty "honorable." ;)

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +493
    In terms of their value and importance to the team...

1. Jamal - he goes down and our D ain't No.1 no more.

2. Rivers - where he goes we go.

3. LT - will always be the focus for opposing Defenses freeing up others.

4. Parker - clutch 3rd down receiver who has the nack for getting open.

5. Tie - Gates, Merriman and Mc Neil (there was only one L on his jersey sunday nite anyone else spot this!!?).

25. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    In no particular order these five are to me the best that SD has:

Rivers
    Williams
    Gates
    Neal
    Merriman

Because it is just my opinion and nothing else.

No reasons or anything.

Just opinion.

26. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    It was all junk yards late in the 4th quarter. The game was already lost and out of reach so the defense went into prevent mode.

Voleks record as a starter is 2-7.

27. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Honorable mention ? You guys crack me up :icon_rofl:

You all think we beat the steelers with Volek or Brees in there ? :icon_rofl:

Yes Thunderstruck, you are correct. Rivers is making throws only a handful of quarterbacks in this league are making.

The throw to Floyd was spectacular. If you look at the replays, the cb was looking at the fade all the way as soon as Rivers threw it.

Rivers put that ball in the perfect spot to only be caught by Floyd. :icon_banana:

28. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Wade Phillips