1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who Are The Most Improved Players Thus Far?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Scout200, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Who has made a huge step from last year to this year and really become a big contributor to the team?

-Scout

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Kevin Burnett
    Antoine Cason
    (i think) Shaun Phillips
    (I think) Eric Weddle
    Antonio Garay
    Brandon Dombrowski
    Mike Tolbert (Somewhat)

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    And Antwan Applewhite

Of course 17 just keeps gettin better every year.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Burnett, Cason, Gregory, Weddle, Garay, Applewhite, Buster.

Those that have regressed (or were crap in the first place) - Castillo, Hester, Vasquez, Dielman, Wilson, Spillman (gone already), the many long snappers, Cooper, Merriman (gone).

5. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    LOL, What brings the uncertainty?

6. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Weddle is the least flashy type of safety, he's not a big hitter, not an intimidator, but he's nearly always in position and an outstanding wrapup tackler, a reliable last line of defense as a general rule. Alot like the safety version of Jammer, who also is not flashy, doesn't force too many turnovers, but is solid in run support and pass coverage.

Phillips, I presume, his point is he had a 4 sack game (I think) but disappears others, not consistent.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Garay. Fatboy is making noise. I am not sure if he has more room to improve...I hope so. He has shown me some hustle. He shows up downfield. D-Linemen down field is generally not good unless it is a zone blitz but I love the hustle he shows.

Brandon Siler until he got hurt is the other player which gets my vote. That dude is an animal and what we need in the middle.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Kris Brown. :p :icon_rofl:

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Burnett on D and damn I forgot the receiver we got from Dallas but he's been steadily coming on and becoming Joiner like.

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Patric Clayton.

11. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    LOL. Wrapup tackler. I mean, is there any other way to tackle? I think way to many guys in the league playing comfortably with contracts could take a lesson from that kid and how he plays.

12. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Buster Davis. oops...
    :icon_huh:

13. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Improvers = Burnett, Siler (Until injured), Floyd, Weddle, Cason, Garay, Tolbert

Sliders = Dielman, Vasquez (was last year a fluke??), Sproles, Kris Wilson, Castilo

Man..theres alot of players in the Sliders list!!

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Three most improved.

1. Antonio Garay
    2. Shaun Phillips
    3. Kevin Burnett

Love that our defense is improving. Honerable mention to Antwan Applewhite who is now a solid starter, albeit not a great pass rusher.

15. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I like Tolbert but he has to stop fumbling period. Another fumble and he is a special teams guy case closed.

16. setanta74

setanta74 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Tolbert, Garay and Cason.

Gates and Rivers are shaping up to be even better than they were before too.

17. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Garay and Cason

18. james023

james023 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Kevin Burnett
    Antoine Cason

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Cason is still up in the air, but then I also think he's a work in progress. I hate to say it but, some corners come into the league and just get it (be it by virtue of being just ultra-talented, extremely well-coached collegiately, or going into a scheme that just plays extremely well to their particular set of skills - along with masking their deficiencies well) whereas others take time to develop but that doesn't mean that they can't or won't be very good players.

Brandon Flowers, Darelle Revis, Vontae Davis, of late are those guys who are in the former category. But then you look at guys like Asomugha (if you look at his first two years in Oakland he wasn't the lockdown guy he is now by a stretch), Jammer, Jabari Greer (who was protected by scheme for a number of years, but used the time to refine his technique and became a film room rat and now is horribly underrated), and Ron Bartell (a sleeper from this season, but we all saw what he was capable of doing when he blanketed Floyd) and it took them a little, but when they got it they got it BIG TIME. Jury's still out on Cason. He has the tools physically, and it seems like he's got it together mentally, it's just a matter of how he holds up to trial by fire (what I'm worried about is that he's a player in similar playing-style to Cro that really can't realize his potential unless everything in the scheme is focused around letting him freelance).

Burnett is finally showing what it was that the staff saw in him from his limited tape in Dallas (then again, he was also a Parcells and Co. influenced draft pick - people forget that he was a 2nd round pick- and Parcells has a knack for unearthing LB gems).

I think Oliver is starting to turn a corner. Not that I think necessarily that he's an everyday starter guy right now, but he's at least become a dependable utility safety/DB that gives us something we only had in Gregory (and I'd say honestly, he's been doing it better than Gregs, but hasn't faced the quality of comp yet) till now, which was a safety that can minimize the impact of an opposing TE.

Vasquez has been up and down, same as he was last season. The two games prior to his knee injury were actually really good and showing signs of improvement, but he's "pulling a Clary" and suffering way too many mental lapses. Vasquez is replaceable if another option comes along, and I certainly wouldn't turn down a BPA draft selection if the guy had the potential to play either interior guard spot.

20. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Improved? ....NONE. IMO Burnett is better than i thought he would be but that doesn't count as "improved" ...also Crayton is adequate if not better than average but again he was supposed to be an above average receiver to begin with so not an "improvement" and really he should have been better than what we had from the get go not taken several games to "improve"

21. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Rivers is going to continue getting better
    The O line Up's and down's but hey they play hurt
    Tolbert, Tolbert, Tolbert
    The DB's
    Oh did I mention Tolbert?
    The LB's (merriman bites the bag)
    Practice squad recievers (not bad considering Rivers has another NFL record)
    Why is this page off my screen to the right?