1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who are your Top 5 DL in Charger History?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 19, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Ray and I, altering the popular best and worst in Charger history segment, want to know who are your top 5 best DL (DE, NT, DT) in Charger history. Lets get this discussion going, here are my top 5:

5. Earl Faison
    Dominated the middle and a tribute to him from a former student
    4. Ernie "Big Cat" Ladd
    Huge guy who was agile, mobile and could stuff the run and pass. Only person in the NFL and WWF hall of fames.
    3. Gary "Big Hands" Johnson
    One of the few positive Defensive players from the Coryell era, wrote the Charger sack records early on.
    2. Leslie O'Neal
    Owns the Charger sack record book and was dominating at a time where few Chargers were.
    1. Louis Kelcher
    Only DT I know of who's so popular, did it all and a fan favorite who's a great person off the field too.

2. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    5. Louie Kelcher

4. Big Cat

3. Big Hands

2. Leslie ONeill

1. Fred Dean

Jamal is working his way up the list. Needs a few more quality years.

3. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    (Not including current ones) John Parella, Norman Hand, Raylee Johnson, Shawn Lee, Rueben Davis.

I know they're not really top 5, but since everyone else was before my time, I'm goin wit these guys. We've had a recent history of great run-stopping DTs since the Super Bowl, even through the REALLY lean years. I remember a magazine calling Lee and Davis the "2 tons of fun in the middle" when I was little, and that's been my nickname for every fat buddy of mine since. I don't remember if they were really good at all.

4. HeatMiser

HeatMiser BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    You did a nice job. Hard to argue with your list. Fred Dean was a great DL, but he left for SF. At some point, Jamal Williams goes on this list, too.

TG

5. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    2 tons of fun had 1 really good year together. Lee was a great pass rusher with outstanding quickness for a man his size, and a pretty good run defender too. Then we had Davis as the run stuffer next to him at NT. He was impossible to move and was a great power pass rusher too. Then Lee was just not that effective and not that long after it Davis got banged up.

One argument I might make would be to add Merriman to the list. He is listed at OLB, but then so was O'Neal. If we switched to a 43 D, Merriman could move to play RDE (or SOLB). But it is his ability moving forward, and that is using techniques and alignments that are the same as a DL. If he looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, he is a duck even if the label says swan.

If I was going to add someone, it would be Lee Williams. I know it was tough to lose him how and why we did, but for years he was the only LDE in the AFC who was any good. Consider that he played in a 34 D, his sack numbers where amazing.

6. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Did you go to University City High School?

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Took the words right out of my keyboard, although I rank Jamal and Louie on a par. I watched Ladd spread his wings and tie three Oiler offensive linemen up at the line of scrimmage on a third and short near the goal line. I also saw him sandwich a QB between two offensive linemen and put all three of them on the ground. The two linemen then tried to pounce on him afterwards, so he took one of them by the head in the crook of his arm, used his free arm to put the other one back on the ground and then stomped on his helmet.

:lol:

8. IronMountain

IronMountain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I have seen them all, and there were many great ones, my favorites for the top five.
    Jamal Williams, Louie Kelcher, Fred Dean, Big Hands Johnson, Earl Faison were all great, the best in my humble opinion was the Big Cat Earnie Ladd.

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Adrian Dingle

10. underoath

underoath BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    norman hand! :icon_evil:

11. IronMountain

IronMountain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I saw Ladd get punched in the side by a 290 pound Houston Oiler OT, Ladd knocked him flat on the ground, and as he lay flat out, grab one leg with one hand and his shoulder pad with the other and then pick the guy up over his head in a straight press ( about 11 feet up), hold him there for a couple of seconds and then body slam him to the turf and then slam his foot into the guys face mask. Needless to say the guy was carried off of the field in a stretcher, and Ladd was tossed out of the game, but that was an impressive show of unbelievable strength!

• Like Like x 1
  12. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Damn that guy sounds crazy! But no way would a player nowadays get away with stomping out opponents' faces not once but twice (at least?).

13. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Is there a reason not to like him? Did he leave the Chargers in bad terms? I didn't have the benefit of getting my Charger info from forums or the internet until after he was gone, so all the inside stories from before the last 3 or so years are new to me. I didn't even know about what Marcellus Wiley said about Brees until a few days ago.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    A number of those lads were before my time... Those I remember include Leslie O'Neal (#91 was a big fave of mine), Lee Williams and ofcourse Jamal. Other notables in short stints were Burt Grossman and Chris Mims. I expect Castillo to join this list v soon. Hey I even remember Chuck Ehin, God help me. :icon_party:

15. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    A little OT...

Which Charger players have had their numbers retired in addition to Lance Alworth? (I really don't know...it's not a quiz :icon_eek: )

16. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Lee Williams was the shiznit.

Grossman was a talker.

Chris Mims stole burritos.

Oldie Out

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    #14 and #19.

Fouts and Alworth. Those are the only two.

NFL.com - Retired Numbers

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Shammy is absolutely correct. Only #14 and #19 (Fouts and Alworth) are retired. I remember hearing some rumblings about retiring #80 (Kellen Winslow Sr.) many, many years ago, but those rumblings have long since died.

If any Charger number gets retired in the future, I'd wager it's #21.