1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who could we have taken instead of Rivers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    This is NOT, I repeat NOT, a slam on Rivers or I wish we had Brees back thread. I like Rivers alot, I think he can take this team where it needs to go, I'm glad he is our QB. I also don't blame AJ for getting Rivers when he did because Brees hadn't delivered on his potential yet.

But purely hypothetical question here, go back to the 2004 draft, we take Eli to force NY's hand, but we tell the Giants we don't want a QB in trade because Brees is our guy, we want ________________.

Who do you think the bolts would have gotten? What would that make our team look like today? I think it is a very interesting question considering Brees is considered a top 5 QB and I think we would all be happy to still have him if he had never left or we hadn't seen Rivers.

My answer? Interestingly it would be Sean Taylor. You have to wonder what changes in the timeline that would have caused... I'm sure he would make an impact on our D and maybe he would still be alive.

Opinions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The problem with this is that Brees was terrible in 2003. He was benched for a few games IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I had thought at the time that we should have drafted some help for Brees as opposed to a new QB and I thought as well that it was hard to blame it all on him when everything went wrong up front and with the D.

If anything I would've liked to have seen Larry Fitzgerald as our WR. I mean him combined with VJ who we drafted the next year would have been just ridiculous. Two big tall fast WRs who make big catches, it could've put air coryell to shame!

But then again the guy I was rooting for us to draft in 04 was...........Robert Gallery :no:

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Only problem with taking Fitzgerald is we would have had to take him at #1. Which would mean no Merriman, and I really doubt AJ would have picked VJ after spending the 1st overall pick on a WR the year before. He probably would of gone DE/DT or OLB depending on what we went with at #28.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Well at 4 it would of been too late to Fitzgerald, so ill say Sean Taylor
    He was already the best FS in the NFL before his untimely death, and would of given us the most physical secondary in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    More draft picks. One which would have included Merriman

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Larry Fitzgerald is the only player that doesn't play for the Chargers that I root for, he's great and you can see the joy he feels playing football, no planned celebrations, just an adult being a kid out there :tup:

(and no, I don't root for ex-chargers, once you're an ex-chargers I don't care)

8. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Fitz was the first name that jumped out at me as well, but as others have pointed out, we would have to give up Merriman as well to get him. Would you trade (river's replacement) and Merriman for Fitzgerald?

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Here is mine and you can kill me for it.

In 2004 the Cardinals had already drafted Fitzgerald with the 3rd Pick so he is gone before the 4th pick for the Giants. For a trade I would have said to the Giants to draft Lee Evans WR that Eventually landed in Buffalo at the 13th pick. Then give us their 1st rd Draft Pick in 2005 to include the 5th Rd Draft pick also and 1st rd Draft pick in 2006 to get Manning.

We would then have these extra picks in the 2005 and 2006 draft. 2005 Draft picks gained the 12th pick which we got Merriman and the 144th Pick instead of trading it which we did and to gain Trent Cole which ended up in Philadelphia as a good hands down LB for depth. For 2006 then we would get the 32nd pick which we would trade down with Green Bay to get there 52th pick and select Greg Jennings WR and receive as well Green Bays 2007 3rd Draft pick of the 78th pick and select Trent Edwards QB, he went to the Bills. We would get in 2008 Green Bays 6th Rd draft pick 168th to receive Josh Morgan WR, He went to the 9ers and for us to give up our 6th Rd Pick which was the 192nd pick.

The Killing can commence.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Definitely Sean Taylor.

And fwiw, Brees earned his own exit. I'm extremely happy we have Philip, who could possibly go down as the greatest Chargers QB in team history if he continues to play as he has, giving Fouts a run for his money.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

I don't think I have the time or the inclination to sift through this one.

:lol:

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    That is why I said that everyone can kill me about my GM talents or lack there of. :lol:

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I wouldn't change a thing, Philip is a championship QB just as I said that day we obtained him. Boy, did I catch hell for that.

There is not a Player I would have taken before Philip, To this day I believe that was AJ's thought also. Eli can rot in NY for all I care.

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Yeah, I kinda zoned after the first paragraph. :lol:

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The only thing I would have done different is not get brees hurt so we could have traded him or Rivers for a 1st rounder and probably more. At the time we were still building. I guess your always building. And we should have traded mikle turner for a 2nd rounder or more when we had the chance.:yes:

And not drafted a wr in the first round. Need studs with first round picks. Woodley was available who I had mentioned before the draft.

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    you can't rest your starters in the last game of the season when you're not making the playoffs :no:

in that case as soon as you're eliminated from the playoffs you shuold play your backups :tdown:

17. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    here is espn's take on Rivers' possible extension:

In the wake of the six-year, $97.5 million extension signed recently by Eli Manning, and the eight-year, $102 million add-on that was awarded Ben Roethlisberger a year ago, there was much speculation that Philip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers would be the next Class of 2004 first-round quarterback to hit the extension mother lode.

Don't bet on a deal coming any time soon.

Vick can help a little
    Expect the Eagles to use Michael Vick to help turn around their third-and-short woes from 2008. Pasquarelli

Rivers is entering the final year of his contract and can be an unrestricted free agent next spring, whether a collective bargaining agreement extension has been reached or not. It's not so much that discussions toward a Rivers extension have been fruitless so far as much as they have been sparse. Club officials took a hard-line stance in negotiating Rivers' rookie contract in 2004, and while general manager A.J. Smith has done a terrific job signing most of his core players to extensions, the Chargers, justifiably or not, are perceived around the NFL as a team that will sign a player to its numbers and not his.

Minus a contract extension, San Diego can still use a franchise designation on Rivers, but the tag probably will carry a tender value of $16 million to $17 million, and the franchise marker often precipitates acrimony between a player and team.

The Chargers are in better position with linebacker Shawne Merriman and left tackle Marcus McNeill, both of whom are entering the final season of their respective contracts. But because of their tenure in the league, Merriman (fifth season) and McNeill (fourth) will only be eligible for restricted free agency unless there is a CBA accord.

And the odds of that happening appear long indeed right now.

To read the rest of Tip Sheet -- a potential showdown over the CBA, June Jones' true NFL impact, Tom Brady's contract extension and how good Terrence Cody may be as a pro are all addressed -- you must be an ESPN Insider.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    we didn't have a chance to make the playoffs that year. It was just very bad luck brees getting hurt.

I and I"m sure A.j. would have loved having another 1st rounder with trading either Rivers or brees that offseason. Terrible bad luck. Terrible.

Not trading rb mike turner still boggles my mind. But other than loosing welker who I blame on marty more I think we've done fairly well.

Other than drafting buster and not woodley.

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I would agree with Fitzgerald. Class guy and exceptional talent. But I don't even want to THINK about how this team would be without Rivers! :unsure:

20. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Agreed! We made quite the killing in the Rivers / Manning deal...and to see the look on She-li's face holding the Chargers gear like it was toxic waste was priceless. When all of the players from the 2004 and 2005 draft classes are retired I believe we will be able to look back and be very glad the draft turned out the way it did.

...of course, I've been horribly wrong before...but I don't think this is one of those times.

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

21. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Rivers is a gem. Best QB out there. Look at his numbers, they speak for themselves. Any QB that can yell at the half "They need more than 28 pts. to win this one" (Cincinati) and step in to win is my kind of QB. :tup:

Who else could beat the Titans twice in a three week span the way they were playing on a screwed up knee?

Too many dominating/heroic performances to count.

We needed more 'D' this whole time.

Offence has never been a problem. Our 'D' keeps giving it up late to loose the game. Thus exit Marty and Teddy.

Draft more beef. :tup:

22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Me too ant. :lol:

Sometimes it's awesome to be wrong. :icon_banana: