1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who do we draft in round 1?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 10, 2010.

?

Who should we draft in round 1?

1. Terrence Cody

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Ryan Mathews

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Other

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I personally would choose Mathews over Cody because we were 31st in the run game yet our defense was 11th in points allowed...

2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Gotta go with Dan Williams/Cody or Odrick. I wouldn't even be opposed to a Spikes or Weatherspoon.

I think it's fair to say our O is pretty damn potent w/o a running game. As bad as it sounds, almost ANY RB we draft will be more productive than LT was in '09. Our D is middle of the pack at best while our O is upper echelon.

I'd like to see Cody in the first followed by Tate in the 2nd then back to the D for rounds 3-5 if not 3-6.

3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Quality RBs will be available in R2 (maybe Dwyer, Gerhart), R3 (Hardesty), and even R4 and beyond (Blount, Bell) for the taking. The NT class is quite a bit thinner, and waiting on Thomas in R2 is a gamble if we pass on Cody.

Take the big fella, and perhaps trade up to snag Spikes at MLB if he falls. RBs are a dime a dozen this draft.

4. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Ew, I'd take Tate 10x over Dwyer, and I like Tate over Gerhart as well. Guy showed he has the speed and strength @ the combine. Aside from that he was already known as the best pass blocking and one of the better receiving RB's in the draft.

5. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Wow, I thought I mentioned Tate in my previous post, my bad. If anything, it serves to back up my "dime a dozen" RB mentality.

I am not a Dwyer fan, and although I like Gerhart on tape, the success of white vs. black RBs is difficult to justify, but equally-difficult to ignore, as much as I hate to admit it. But I DO like Tate, and think we can snag him in R3.

6. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I like Gerhart too, it's not only the white thing I just feel he is super slow in/out of his cuts and runs STRAIGHT up and down. He was a complete workhorse at Stan but I am not thinking he will translate all that well. Of course, he may be a beast with an O line like the Jets, but just not in our system.

Dwyer is too much of a gamble. If we are gonna gamble I'd rather go with Best. Dwyer played in a funky O where he lined up as a FB, has had weight issues and looked horrid at the combine. However, I do agree RB's are dime a dozen (outside of Spiller) in this draft.

Oh, for the record I love Mathews, I just think we have a much bigger D need than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Funny how big of a Ben tate homer you suddenly became after the combine, and how much you started to dump on dwyer after that

Did you only watch the combine and not watched any college football this year?

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cody for me, thx.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No one. We trade the pick away for almost nothing...

Oh, wait, that was Beathard, not Smith... Whew... Its nice to have a good GM!

10. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The cluster at #28 figures to include at least TWO of the following:

Terrence Cody, Jared Odrick, Dan Williams, Ryan Mathews.

Given the depth at RB in this draft, it makes sense to scoop up a D-lineman at #28 if the right guy is there.

11. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Cody for me, if not then Mathews or Blount

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Terrance Cody

There are plenty of good running backs in the second third fourth rounds in the draft. Nose tackles are few and far in between. Nose tackles with the potential of Cody are maybe one or two per draft.

13. seau55

seau55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    IMO if Dan Williams or Cody are there at 28 we have to take them. Also i would be ok with going Defense in the first 2 rounds and get Tate/Blount in the 3rd. I really like Tate and think he is the 4th best back in the draft.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    DL beef in the first, I want nasty mf'rs on D that put fear in opponents, tho O will be fine with a 3rd round RB

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The potential to explode to 375 again and be completely ineffective is also very high also. Not worth the risk in the 1st.

IMO, He is a defensive line version or Andre Smith who cinci drafted last year. All the potential in the world, but a lazy fat slob who will not last in the NFL

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree, except with Cody. I want Williams (1st round) or even Cam Thomas (2nd round). and another defensive player with the other pick. Then go RB in the 3rd.

Our defense needs some serious work. We need NT, ILB, CB, DE, and possibly even Safety. AJ said he is totally confident in our o-line as is, so our concentration needs to be on the defensive side of the ball

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Andre Smith had had a reputation of being a fat lazy slob and showed up at the combine looking like a fat lazy slob.

Cody was overweight at the senior bowl and has steadily lost weight and improved himself.

Just because they're both big guys from Alabama doesn't mean personality wise they're exactly the same

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I got this feeling AJ is gonna draft somebody we're not even mentioning as he has done in the recent years. Watch it be a Corner, a QB or a Kicker. I SWORE we were gonna draft Rey Maleauga and then I hear, "Larry English". I was like Who the flock is THAT?? :icon_shrug: Only AJ knows......

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I totally agree. It will end up being someone who no one is talking about just like Buster Davis, Cro, English, and Cason were. I don't think any of those players were brought up as possibilities pre-draft

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No professional athlete allows himself to get to ~370 without being lazy. The last thing we need is another lazy player

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I think Cro was considered the front runner that year, the others, you're right

for the record, I wanted Mike Williams, Winston Justice and Rey Maulauga so WTF do I know :icon_tease:

22. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    But, but, they both went to the same school, so that means...ahhh screw it, not that again :lol:

23. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Look for Cody in a Bengals uniform next year? :tup:

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Perfect fit

25. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Like this guy here....

[​IMG]

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I for one had never even heard of Cro the year he was drafted. I am far from being a draft or college expert, but I never even heard his name brought up on the other forums I was on at the time.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is Coby after being treated with the Micheal Jackson bleaching

28. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    The year we drafted Cro I had said for months that he would be a Charger the next season. There used to be a guy that used to post here and his name was SDRon. I remember telling him that year 6 months before the draft that we would be getting Cromartie...lol.

In any case I fully agree that I still think we will take someone that no one is referring to like Matthews,Williams, Cody etc....

29. super17

super17 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I voted other......we need D-line help in the worst way, however, i wouldn't touch Cody in the fifth round let alone the first. HIGHLY doubtfull this guy gets drafted in the first, actually, i belive there's a better chanch of him being there at our pick in the second. The guy only had something like 45 tackles.......for his ENTIRE college ca-rear! Besides, if i have too see that guy in his underware again, i will vomit. Perhaps it's just me, but to give that guy first round money, you've got too be crazy. Where would the insentive for him to work hard be? We need to get more phsyical.....not softer. I'd much rather have a Price or Odrick.

30. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    If those are the two options, I take Cody.

If Cody is gone, then it's Dwyer and/or Matthews.