1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you want in 2016?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Andres M188, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Assuming you could have anybody in the draft, who would it be?

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
  3. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Jayron kearse

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Bosa. I'd even change our scheme to fit him in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I dont see any issue with this. Lets say we end up with the number 1 pick, our defense is so bad that we lose nothing by changing our scheme because of Joey Bosa. Its obvious that these last couple of years, we couldnt find quality linemen to really make the defense work so why even keep it around? And how much of the time in this current NFL are we going to actually line up in a base formation? You cant line up in a 3-4 when you have 4 WR's looking to make big plays.

6. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    If we're picking anyone, Joey Bosa is the best player in this class IMO. If we landed #1 this should be the guy.

If we're talking about top 10 talents, outside of Bosa then we should consider Robert Nkemdiche worthy of a second look.

I like Bosa a lot, but if we end up a few slots lower then I also feel that Nkemdiche is a good player too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I don't see the need for a change of scheme if we land Bosa. I think he can be an effective 3-tech, and with Carrethers most likely the starter next year, with Liuget, I think we can have a very disruptive defensive line.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    If we assume that our base is a 3-4, then there is no 3-Tech on the field. There are two 5-techs and a 1- or 0-tech depending on the preference of the DC and the gap-assignments.

Now, Joey Bosa conceivably could play 5-Tech, but it's not using him to his best abilities - and you're also asking him to add bulk to play the 5-Tech (as he's likely close to 270 currently than 280, and most 5-Tech's are 290+). His most natural fit is as a LDE/UT (3-Tech) tweener, though - similar to say Aldon Smith - he could play as an EDGE rusher who is simply sent to the house 90% of his snaps and dropping into zone to spy on the flats the other ~10% of the time. I've got him favorably comped to a proportionately smaller Justin Smith (formerly of the Niners).

You want a more natural 5-Tech, Nkemdiche is your guy - and even for someone his size, I'm not completely unconvinced he couldn't rush from the edge too (more lined up as a strong-side DE in a 4-downed-man formation) because he has the athleticism (if he tests the way I believe he will, he's not terribly far off Mario Williams in that respect).

I'm realistically cool with either, but there's a notable drop off at the "trench" pass-rushers after them. The next closest at this point is likely A'Shawn Robinson and he's a visible tier below them both. I'd also sooner take any trench-rusher over a DB, as the former has a greater tendency to make the later look better (or have less of a negative impact) than the other way around. AND... if next year really is the time in which we part ways with Weddle, I'd prefer to use his absence to finally bring in what we've lacked (either because of a true lack of defensive identity or trying to fit scheme around the players that actually were playing at a high-level) for a good long time - a true centerfielder free safety.

9. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    This. Attaouchu and Bosa on the ends. Kick Liuget inside where he should be anyway. Perryman at MLB, Teo at WLB. We still need some more parts but it's a start and better than this junk we have now. I'd also cut ties with Butler and Ingram as well. I'm cool with Tunsil or Stanley as well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Moses

Ratings:
    +358
    Not that it is a first round question (particularly due to our likely draft slot and the players available) but what do you guys think of this safety class?

I kinda like Tony Conner from Ole Miss, but not so sure whereabouts he'd be drafted at this point.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I would take Joey Bosa, Robert Nkemdiche, Jalen Ramsey, Emanuel Ogbah in the Top 10.

12. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    I would also add Paxton Lynch to that group. He is a athletic beast and I believe can be a Winner in this league. What he is doing in Memphis is akin to what D. Rose did he when he took the college bb by storm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I think whenever you are drafting in the top 5 (and we most certainly will be) if there's a franchise QB available, you should consider it. Rivers isn't young anymore and I bet he'd be willing to reconsider that no trade after this disaster of a season, a definite coaching change, possible relocation and rebuild. And if we are going full on rebuild (which I'm in for) no better place to start than franchise QB. Trade Rivers for picks, say goodbye to the vets - Weddle, Gates, Floyd, Butler, Reyes, Flowers...etc and let the rebuild begin

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I see your point...though the total re-build of the "Karson Kardashians" may not be on my radar at that point...

15. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Anyone seeing the Ohio state vs Michigan game on now? Joey Bosa is absolute beast and easily has to be our top pick if we get #1 or if he's on the board when we pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I'd love to have him. Kid works hard and loves the game. He'd be a nice building block for our D, of course we'd probably try to make him a linebacker or something stupid

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He can play it (OLB), though. It's not maximizing his ability - because he has some really nice fire-off power to his game when he plays out of a three-point stance, but the guy is a natural EDGE player who is certainly athletic enough to kick out to linebacker similar to other guys like Aldon Smith and Ryan Kerrigan who would have been/were better fits at 7-Tech/DE but were asked to play the 9-Tech/OLB.

18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I want us to trade back. I am not on the taking Bosa, or Nkemdiche train. Not that I wouldn't love them here. But to be honest this O-Line is completely pathetic. To the point where when the Chargers get the ball, I go do something else. I am 100% sure we need O-Line more than anything else. Hands down. If there is nothing available to take where we are picking, and Bosa/Nkemdiche are gone then I will take Ramsey without question. With Weddle likely leaving, and Flowers either playing like crap or injured, it's a certainty from me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    yeah according to alot of scouts, bosa isnt a top 4 pick, he's likely a 5-7 pick. i wouldnt be opposed to trading back to say a pick 5, and grabbing some extra picks

20. Moses

Ratings:
    +358
    I agree OL is obviously a huge need, who do you prefer from Stanley or Tunsil?

21. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    You can add Hargreaves to that list too. Although if I had my choice I would prefer Ramsey. His shear athletic ability, and above all his length is intriguing to me. I also believe Ramsey is just raw talent, and has a very high ceiling with the right coaching.

22. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    As of right now I'd be happy with any of these four, and for us, I'd rate em this way
    Tunsil
    Stanley
    Nkemdiche
    Bosa
    I actually really like Nkemdiche the most, but I feel we should go o-line and bolster the defensive line in the middle rounds

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    With Telesco staying we can (more than likely) strike Tunsil off the list unless some extremely extenuating circumstances surface to separate him from those domestic assault charges tied to him. And I could definitely see it being a case where the decision isn't even Telesco's to make and rather the Spanos clan hands down an edict saying they want no part of his bad publicity as they position to try and market themselves (either in LA or in reparative fashion in Daygo).

Stanley wouldn't be a bad consolation by any means (honestly, I think he could have higher upside, he's just not as "ready" as Tunsil is) - as he reminds me more than a little of Tyron Smith. In short, Stanley wouldn't displace Dunlap immediately - he simply doesn't have the requisite technique and handwork above the waist yet, and would likely need to apprentice a year or more at RT.

It's really a tough call to say who and where BPA fitting a need will be for this club right now because - particularly if Weddle does walk - we're going to have money to spend and Telesco has shown he's not shy about spending it. That may be the only positive to really come out of the whole owners' vote on relocation is that there will no longer be uncertainty to prospective free agents. This team will either be LA-bound (which, sadly, might be considerably enticing to big-ticket guys looking to "enhance their brand") or staying.

24. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I should have done my homework, I wasn't aware of Tunsil having a domestic violence charge out there. I definitely agree, we won't touch him with those character issues. I'd be very happy with Stanley as well.

Two other guys I like a lot Jalen Ramsey and Jaylon Smith, but we're going to be in the top four and I just can't see ignoring the lines again for one of those guys. Although I could be sold on say a Jalen Ramsey in the 1st, Adolphus Washington in the 2nd combination. Of course Rivers would leave his children without a father and his wife a widower lol.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I struggle to see Smith fitting into the team unless we go full overhaul to a 4-3 or 4-3 Under. In a more traditional 3-4, he's much more of an ILB than an OLB (similarly to how Ryan Shazier and CJ Mosley fit despite being guys who rushed from the edge in college) - and, for better or worse, we've simply invested too many picks in ILB of late to just straight up scrap one and invest a Top 5 pick in the position.

Jaylon Smith is a guy I keep going back and forth on. Yes, he has a knack for making plays; he also has a knack for being largely invisible when he's not making splash plays. Now part of that is because he doesn't really have a natural position at FSU as he's been used as a Swiss Army Knife and moved around a ton, but that isn't necessarily a positive in my book. Yes, he's versatile, but he hasn't exactly proven to be the type of dominating standout at a single position that you'd typically prefer when spending a Top 5 pick on a skill position player. He's a freak athlete (Olympic caliber long-jumper), but if I'm spending a Top 5 pick on a safety, I want a guy who has demonstrated consistently he's of the caliber of Sean Taylor or Earl Thomas; right now I'm not wholly convinced that Ramsey isn't a slightly more athletic Eric Reid. If we were going DB as BPA, I think I'd almost just as soon take Hargreaves, be satisfied having two lockdown corners (where certain other teams have shown in the past you can then get away with a conversion/utility guy as your complementary safety if you've got that kind of tandem), particularly since Flowers will be on the roster next season because he's more expensive to cut than to keep. Maybe move him to safety to try and extend his career (or get some value out of his damn contract?!).

To me, after Bosa and Nkimdeche and Hargreaves there's a pretty significant drop off to the next tier of 1st round defenders. Depending on how the team evaluates and renders judgment on Ingram (which I suppose largely depends on whether they even attempt to extend him), I'd wager our 2nd is earmarked for either EDGE/OLB, WR, or C (I don't want to say it, but I also wouldn't be shocked if TE was on that list as well, particularly if Green isn't extended). We've, from what I can detect in pattern under Telesco, pretty habitually used our 2nd on perceived "falling value" at a position where we have a near-future need (i.e. the season after the pending one) of a starter. Te'o was brought in as both Butler insurance and an projected future starter. Attaochu was brought on with the logic that one or both of Johnson and Freeney were going to hang it up the year after his rookie season. Perriman is the Butler replacement - since Donald proven he has no desire in actually putting in effort even when his livelihood depends on it. I don't necessarily like limiting ourselves that much with a potentially very high 2nd round pick, but I do somewhat see the logic. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Telesco's penchant for trading up resurface if we do have a high 2nd with him jumping back into the bottom of the 1st to get that 5th-year option on the anticipated future starter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    A top 3 pick, and trade down for more picks..... that's "who" I'd want. ;)

27. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i agree, there are few players in the top ten i would want this team to invest in, you got hargreaves- whose an absolute monster and looks to be almost a clone of joe haden. Nkimdeche- looks solid but if you roll the tape on him he really only played great this year " which concerns me that he could be one of those players who play their best in contract years and production falls" Bosa- looks good, makes plays but im not entirely sure how he would fit in our scheme, he doesnt look like he can stand up, and i question if he's big enough to be a 3-4 end. But if we cant land one of those players, i say we trade out the top ten and get a good amount of picks, players i wouldnt mind if we traded back, IM NOT SUGGESTING WE DO, JUST IN CASE IT HAPPENS. Mackenzie alexander- bonafied star at clemson, one of the better man corners in collegiate football. Shaq lawson- he's your prototypical 3-4 de he's what 6 ft 6 275 right now, could easily put on pound and take over reyes spot. Emmanuel ogbah- ive watched tape where he just comes screaming off the edge but ive also seen him get washed out, he looks like he could transition and make a good de/olb. So to wrap it up in the first round i would want in order
    1. Vernon hargreaves
    2. Robert Nkimdeche
    3. Joey bosa
    4.Shaq lawson
    5. Mackenzie alexander
    6. Emmanuel ogbah

28. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    I agree with this. In fact, I would trade back twice in the first round to pick up two or more additional draft picks if I were able to find a reasonable trading partner.

I do not see any small group of players that is head and shoulders above the rest of the 2016 draft class. I see almost no difference between drafting 3rd and 23rd in the upcoming draft.

Unfortunately, I think that is going to reduce the demand for our early first round pick, making it more difficult to trade that pick away.

If we are stuck with the pick, I continue to believe the safest pick in which we guarantee ourselves value is to select Ronnie Stanley. I do not think he has the highest ceiling and I do not think that OT is our position of greatest need, but I do think that Stanley is money in the bank as arguably the single player least likely to be a draft pick miss.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Um what? He has one of the highest ceilings of any player in this class. Nkimdeche, Ramsey, and several assorted others - though those are the ones that come with very low floors as well - are the only ones with arguably higher ceilings. And I'm speaking pure ceiling here, not ceiling if plugged into the ideal scheme. Tunsil for instance has arguably a higher ceiling than Stanley in a zone-based scheme because he's got a Stanley nicked on lateral quickness (and is currently a better pass-protector because Stanley's handwork is still a work in progress). But outside of a zone-based scheme, where Tunsil can wall-off blockers in the run game rather than drive them off the spot, he just lacks the natural raw power that Stanley possesses.

30. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Cody Chaffins ‏@Cody_Fox5 16m16 minutes ago Sandy Springs, GA

BREAKING: ATL police confirm responding to Ole Miss star Robert Nkemdiche falling from a 4th flr window. Said to have multiple cuts.

• Informative Informative x 1