1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who else is glad we wont see the Sproles Dive play in sd anymore?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Sep 9, 2011.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I listening to the pack vs saints game on the radio. When it came time for that last play with 0 secs left at the gb goaline I totally expected to see or hear I mean, sean payton make the mistake of running a #43 dive right up the middle to get stopped in the backfield. Even though he didn't it seems sproles may have rubbed off on Ingram. Anyone else listen to or watch and expect the same play? I'm sure glad we don't have to deal with that **** anymore. Even 1coolguy wouldn't expect the sproles dive to work so thats sayin something about norv...

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Here here!

3. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Sadly our running situation is not great, so I am still not happy with what we got. But I am glad I don't have to see the dive anymore...

• Like Like x 1
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I agree with this. I still think that we needed to bring in a vet FA back.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Face it dude our identity is passing the ball, and our rushing game will probably never be "great" again as long as the offense goes throgh Philip Rivers, its been getting steadily worse since 07 when Norv got here.

What it can be is servicable, it can convert 3rd and 1s, it can keep the defense honest etc....But we're never going to be a power running game like 2006 as long as Norv/Rivers are together.

6. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I was about to let out a big laugh...but then I saw that Sproles wasn't in the backfield. I then thought, "hey that coach might know what he's doing there after all." I was of course expecting some misdirection, a possible throwback to the QB or maybe even a handoff to the upback, or even playaction with Graham going to the corner. Nope, I was wrong. Then I laughed.:roflmao:

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    It's kind of hard to go anywhere but down when LT's 2006 season is your starting point.

• Like Like x 4
  8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Start from any year you want in Norvs tenure. The point is our identity is passing, so even if RM breaks 1000yds this year you'll always hear complaints about the running game.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think it has to be great. But I would love to see it be respectable again

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    our running has been nothing ever since Lorenzo Neal left

• Like Like x 4
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Which was because of a change in offensive scheme. Norv and Cam just don't run the same style offense no matter how much people try to say they do

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Agreed.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, though. So long as the running game keeps the other team's defense honest it's all we really need.

It's kinda like the LT years. There were always complaints about the passing game because it wasn't what won games for us, but all we really needed it to be was good enough to keep 8 men out of the box.

13. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i was yelling don't run it, don't run it, don't run it...then i laughed too.
    i know the earlier sproles dive at the goal line, i thought didn't payton watch any tape??? ravens two years ago??
    he did look bigger in that uni though.
    i'm happy for darren, the guy is having a hell of a career at 5' 6" and has made a ton of money. i don't begrudge him at all.

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    you can have a very good ruuning game when you have a great blocking fullback, as they both go hand in hand. Lorenzo was a great blocker who just happened to come out of the backfield.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I agree entirely, I'm just saying people need to accept that passing is our bread and butter, and rushing is taking a back seat. Something the old timers just aren't comfortable with.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    But if your offensive scheme doesn't properly use a blocking full back, which is what Lo Neal was told was going to happen, then having one is pointless. Lo Neal was told his position was not going to be used as much and his play time would shrink, which is why he asked to be released.

17. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I definitely have no problem being a pass first offense, which we are. But I would like to have SOME semblance of a run game to take some pressure off Rivers just in case he has on "off" game. (I would like him to be perfect for 19 in a row though!)

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Well that's the good part, we do!

Are you just assuming we're gonna be bottom 5 in rushing this year? Or that Ryan Mathews is completely incapable of averaging more than 4ypc? Our running game was average last year, I see no reason it shouldn't improve this year with RMs health and experience, and the bonus of having VJ back stretching the perimeter.

We are a pass 1st team no doubt, but our rushing game isn't helpless.

• Like Like x 1
  19. firebagfan

firebagfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I am happy for sproles. the only regret is that we should have traded him for a high draft pick

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think Tolbert/Mathews will be perfectly fine

• Like Like x 2
  21. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Agreed.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Especially since our identity is now biased toward the passing game.

Which begs the question .... well, you know, the one about drafting RB's high. Really high.

If only PR could run. We'd save 2-3 roster spots.

23. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I harped/acknowledged this last. year...Rodgers is the Rivers but with legs. End of story.
    My point? No point. Just givin' props to two of the best qb's in the muthaforkin' game. :)
    Oh wait, our running game will be just fine. We already know this though.
    The Viqueens D is not as advertised. They are who I think they are. Getsum!
    Okay, 2 AM rant over.

24. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I like the Bolts passing game, to me this is Charger ball.

25. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    at least that makes rivers less likely to get seriously injured.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Sproles who?