1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who has watched the Watchmen?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Concudan, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    I am taking the family to see it now.

What did you think? Lets discuss...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Honestly, I never even heard of the "Watchmen" until the move came out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I imagine RTL has by now. No, I have not.

Let us know what you think now that you've seen it, Monsieur Conc.

4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'll be waiting for the DVD release Conc - but sure would like to hear your eval of the flick. :tup:

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    It was a good movie but nothing like what I expected. Some great effects, a lot of character developement.

They had a lot to pack into nearly 3 hours.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    It was a graphic novel that got some acclaim because of its story. I think it was in the 90s.

7. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    On a scale of 1 to 5 stars how many? (5 being loved it)...

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    3.5 maybe more after I digest it.

9. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Thanks Bro - instead of buying it I'll wait and get it off of Netflix. :tup:

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    It was actually very good, a very deep plot. It is just going to take me a bit to digest it all...

11. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    For those who don't have a clue what we are talking about - Watchmen is a 2009 Sci-fi "adventure" movie - here is the write up off of Netflix:

Zack Snyder directs this adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons's graphic novel set in a parallel Earth in 1985, where despite the threat of nuclear war, superheroes are prohibited from using their powers. But when one of their number is murdered, the outlaw heroes, including Dr. Manhattan (Billy Crudup), Silk Spectre (Carla Gugino), Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley), Nite Owl (Patrick Wilson) and Moloch (Matt Frewer), unite to defend themselves.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
  13. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    It's a murder mystery with deep characters warts and all.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    Watchmen is in essence a deconstruction of the cliché superhero. It's a very complex story, TONS of character development, and it serves to illustrate what type of people would in fact dress up and become vigilantes in the first place, and how mankind would react to them facing the threat of nuclear war and the presence of a true super being (Dr. Manhattan).

As for the movie, I saw it 3 times over the weekend, and still wanted to go see it even more, especially after waiting over 20 years for a film adaptation of this story. I am patiently waiting for the Ultimate Geek Edition on Blu-Ray later this year before I even begin to pass final judgment on the movie. The film was nowhere near as great as the GN, but it's about as good as I expected it to be, and seriously, what movie is ever better than the book it's based off?

Definitely need to catch it in IMAX sometimes soon.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I was an avid comic collector in the 90's. I remember seeing Watchman around but I never bought and issue.

My favorites were Judge Dredd, Sandman, Crow, Lady Death, Evil Ernie, Vampire Lestat (until I met Anne Rice), Purgatory, and stuff like that.

16. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Watchmen is really one of the best comic books/graphic novels of all time. The story is very good and broke boundaries when it was written.

I loved the movie. It was everything I thought it needed to be. A telling part of the movie for me was that even during trailers and stuff, as soon as I saw a scene I knew EXACTLY which part of the GN it was showing.

Rorschach was perfect! Actually, I think all of the characters were portrayed amazingly well. I was a little bit unhappy with Ozymandias' portrayal only because he seemed a bit effeminate.

Even with the ending being different than in the GN, I thought it was appropriate. The movie's ending made it more accessible to people who aren't familiar with the original story. I honestly think that if I didn't know anything about the story and they showed me the ending in the GN, I'd be thinking WTF big time.

Really my only gripe was an actual surprise to me. TOO MUCH BLUE WIENER!! :lol:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,628
    Anyone who watches this movie (or reads the book) and fixates on manhattan's penis needs to reevaluate their sexuality.

Just saying.

18. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    :lol:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    :icon_eek:

My wife mentioned it... OMG!!!! :icon_rofl:

20. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Conc - you didn't mention it being rated XXX? :icon_eek:

21. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,628
    It's perfectly acceptable for the ladies (and men) to enjoy the glowing blue cawk of doom, but to point it out as OMG it was so distracting, sheesh. It's a naked dude, grow up and get over it.

22. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +208
    I think you need to stop getting all offended at people pointing out something that was totally unexpected and extremely prevalent throughout the entire movie. Anyone who watches this movie and gets upset that people point out a big glowing blue penis needs to reevaluate their ability to observe things.

Just saying.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,628
    HaHAHAHAhahHAHahaHAha, whatever dude, I'm not offended, not at all. I think its funny people when go see a movie they have NO CLUE about (a rated R movie at that) and then acted shocked or giggle like 5 year olds because they saw a blue dick on the screen, like it's the end of the world or something.Or parents take their kids then leave horrified when

****SPOILERS****

the Comedian tries to r@pe Silk Spectre, shoots a pregnant woman, or Dr. Manhattan blows people up leaving their guts hanging from the ceiling, or Dan and Laurie get it on in the owlship

24. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +208
    Now I know you're just speaking generally. I've read this book since 1991 when I was a freshman in high school and have gone through 3 trades since I can only seem to get a few years out of each one. Well, the second one got completely water damaged so the one I have now was bought earlier than I expected, but that's still a lot of times to buy one book.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,628
    Get the Hardcover Ultimate Edition and lock it up somewhere nice and safe, and only bring it out when it's "time".

Man, I hope I can get to IMAX this weekend.

26. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    Been a big fan of the graphic novel, owened it for at least 12 years. Can't wait to see it next weekend