1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who impressed you today?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by P88F, Jul 28, 2007.

1. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Today, I enjoyed seeing alot of new talent, but it was pretty hard to evaluate the players because there was barely any contact. I did notice a huge bandwagon with a retards sitting next to me during camp, it was just obvious that they just started paying any attention to the chargers.

I was very very impressed with Craig Davis and Whilhem play. Craig Davis has great hands and is pretty big for being only 6'0 he has some good muscle on him. He should start by week 3. I didnt care for Weddle play today, Oliver nor Cromartie. I thought Sproles, Floyed and Stone hands Jackson look good. Osgood still dropping his catchable passes. Siler looks like a freak, but it was hard to evaluate him because of the no contact rule.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Craig Davis - Punts and Catching the ball he was solid
    Drayton Florence - he caught a ball
    Darren Sproles - two drops but solid elsewise
    Antonio Cromartie - Dude looks ready to ball

Something that kinda worried me
    Shawne Merriman - was much more mellow and was smaller then last year

3. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

ya I agree with you about shawne.

4. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Is Merriman really NOTICEABLY smaller? I've heard guys say that before and blame it on his lack of the performance enhancements he was previously using. I didn't notice anything about Merriman in mini camp. I think that everybody's mind is just seeing what it thinks.

1) Merriman likely tested positive in August, as it takes time for the NFL's suspension process to go into effect.

2) Since then, Merriman stopped taking the "tainted supplement" and still performed and looked great.

I know that the effects are a bit more long term in terms of seeing a lack of performance as his muscle and strength were built. On the other hand, with the testing policy in the NFL, i see it as highly unlikely that Merriman had been taking this supplement long term. Now, I'm not going to turn this into a debate of cheater or tainted supplement victim. I'm just contending that Merriman is still the same guy that he's been for us the last 2 years until I hear some sort of report that he has noticeably lost size, but more importantly, until I see his performance decline considerably.

The media always seems to report when guys are out of shape, overweight, etc. Why wouldn't they report something noticeably different about one of the NFL's brightest stars?

The linebackers as a whole seemed to have toned it down early in TC. But mind you, it is the 1st practice of TC.I expect the intensity to pick up. Let lights out prove it to you on the field.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Hart had an amazing INT.

Davis is much bigger than I thought.

Kassim better figure out how to catch real quick or he could get his walking papers. Funny thing is, he made one of the most spectacular catches of the afternoon, when he went up high for one, but he seemed to drop about 75% of the one he got hit right in the hands with.

Very happy to see Cro taking punts.

G'damn there was a HUGE crowd.

I don't know if anyone caught this but I'll throw it out for those who were there: Anyone remember the play Jammer broke up? I yelled PASS INTERFERENCE rather loudly and Hank Bauer (who was doing the announcing) said something like "It's not a penalty if no one calls it". So then I said LUCKILY THERE NO REFS HERE! At that point he figured out where the heckling came from and semi-laughed and pointed @ me. I was right, 'cause Jammer was all over Davis, who camer back and made a nice catch in front of Jammer the very next play.

I think I'm going Monday (w/ camera in hand) since it's 1st day in pads.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    im waiting for that day for school football :) august 20th hells yeah.

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't get all of the "Merriman looks so much smaller" stuff. Watch the vid on Chargers.com of his interview. Dude looks pretty damn big to me.

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Also, they weren't using pads, and those jerseys look awfully large on everyone. That could be causing the misperception that he's smaller.

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I thought he was a bit too bulky last year, so I wouldn't mind if he slimmed down a little.

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Kurt Kahui was real hungry during warm up drills, but it was too hard to tell if he was doing solid during the 11 v 11.

11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    He doesn't look like his biceps could tear my head off. They probably could, but he looks more athletic than ripped.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Hart added 15 pounds to his frame. I always thought he was a bit spindly and could use a bit more bulk. My boy is going to silence the doubters once and for all.

The more I think about it, the more I would like to see Cromartie lining up with the offense. Yup Cromartie. That mother fuggger is flat out fast and on a reverse .... pu-ta madre.

13. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    That's because he was loaded on steroids :icon_banana:

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    leisure lives in Cro's dungeon as his sex slave. if you have any information which can lead to Cro's arrest please dial 1-555-CRIMETV

15. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    He should go back to how he was in 2005 when he bulked up for the draft so he could covert to DE or LB.. the bulk of a defensive lineman with the speed of a linebacker.

16. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Ant has been saying that same thing since last year, and it didn't hold any merit then, either.

Ant, were Sproles drops on punts? If so, I can't wait until we cut that guy.

17. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Yes it did :yes:

18. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    SciFi - he's a weapon... a number of 60 yrdrs, with hang time boardering on a nap...

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Don't eat your young.. ;)

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I remember seeing him at mini camp last year where no one wore pads and he was still freaking massive. This year he definitely slimmed down and wasn't killing the dummies like he used to.

But those two combined with the news that kept trickling out about his (knee?) that was still sore and still wasn't fully healed, that is what worries me.

21. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    You mean when he finished the season with 8.5 sacks in the 5 games after his return from suspension? That was when you and Ant were championing the "Merriman looks small" cause.

On that note, Rivers looks like he added some bulk. He doesn't look like such a rail. :tup:

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't remember saying Merriman looked small after he came back from the suspension. I think we both can agree that Merriman was freakin massive when he broke into the league and last year, so any shrinking of size for whatever reason is noticeable

23. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I don't care about his size, I care about his production. His best games were at the end of the season, after he served his suspension.

I know that we agree on that.

Were Sproles drops on punts???

24. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Scary, thats what this kid is, you should see the arm on him. Guy through some beautiful 30 yard passes down the field during practice. He is a physical freak.

25. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Also need to give our new TE some props. Chandler looked extremely good out there. He ran some great routes and showed good hands. Couldnt tell how well he was blocking though.

26. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Shawne did have shoulder surgery and from my experience, I was considerable smaller for atleast 6-8 months after I had mine. Give him some time to get back into the groove of things and I'm sure he'll be back to his playing weight.

I wish I was at training camp, instead I was stuck in traffic on the 5 (the whole way) coming back from LAX. I hope I can make it out to TC tmr.

27. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Remember that Merriman had offseason shoulder surgery so I'm sure his workout routine was affected by it.

• Like Like x 1
  28. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Don't worry about lights out. As I have said in a previous post, the NFL has STRINGENT testing policies. I think it's hard to believe that Merriman had been taking any performance enhancing drugs for any long period of time. The guy is just a flat out player. I'd be more worried about nagging injuries, than his "lack" of size. I really don't see it.

29. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Is Merriman still doing the boxing workout regiment? If so, that could be the reason for the slimming down. As you'll notice, Shaun Phillips doesn't look that bulky (he looks like a basketball player) but weighs in around 260. Phillips has blazing speed off the corner while rushing the QB. Perhaps Merriman is doing what he can to improve his quickness and QB rushing speed?

Oldie Out

• Like Like x 1
  30. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    When Merriman came in the league he was over 270 lbs. He didn't know if he was going to be a LB or a DE. So yes, he has dropped some weight. Why do people act like, OMG, he is off the juice? He's still pretty friggin massive.

• Like Like x 1