1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who is responsible for the collapse?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 17, 2008.

?

Who is to blame... Vote!

Poll closed Dec 1, 2008.
  1. AJ; I built this team, I can tear it down!

19.1%
  2. Norv; Defense, what Defense?

36.2%
  3. Cottrell; My evil plan worked!

6.4%
  4. B4L; DUDE ITS ALL OVER! I WANT EVERYONES HEAD!

8.5%
  5. BFISA; Not anutha fuggin poll

2.1%
  6. Conc; The reflection from your dome blinded the team

4.3%
  7. Merriman; Put me in coach I'm ready to play.... NOT!

2.1%
  8. The Players; Emmy awards all around for last season.

21.3%
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, lets do the democratic thingie here...

Who is responsible?

AJ; I built this team, I can tear it down!
    Norv; Defense, what Defense?
    Cottrell; My evil plan worked!
    B4L; DUDE ITS ALL OVER! I WANT EVERYONE'S HEAD!
    BFISA; Not anutha fuggin poll
    Conc; The reflection from your dome blinded the team
    Merriman; Put me in coach I'm ready to play.... NOT!
    The Players; Emmy awards all around for last season.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who is responsible for the colapse?

Honorable mentions/write in

ChargerRay/Anteater; Their podcasts did not 'pump up the Jammer'
    Spanos; LA Chargers.... I think we still have letter head that says that!

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501

Not an easy one to answer in one go...........

If I must choose one of the options then it regrettably has to be AJ;

He picked Norv.
    He picked Teddy.
    He gave Wilhelm, Cooper and Castillo mega bucks and appears reluctant to pay Merriman. Decisions like these don't necessarily create harmony in the locker room, esp paying #57.
    He has had 2 v v poor drafts in a row and not just ref the players he has selected. He has also given away picks.
    He let Brees and Turner go for arguably little or no return (this point can be argued all day). Let it be said however I still believe Rivers is the better QB.

Having said all that many are culpable... many of the players are clearly not trying hard enough eg. #99, #57, #31 and #93.

4. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16

I've been saying it all year, that the defense is toast without Merriman. Sooner or later, the Spanos clan will have to load up a dump truck with money and dump it on Merriman's front yard.
    The sooner they realize it, and get the deal done, the small the load of cash will be... but regardless, it WILL be expensive.

Our linebacking corp SUCKS without Merriman, and "the other shawn" needs to stop that gay *strike* sack "dance". It's embarrasing.

5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155

It was hard to chose just one. But, AJ is in charge so he gets the flakk. To be honest, I think they are all at fault from Spanos to the waterboy, but it seems that AJs decision in the last two years have cost us too much.

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

Conc,

You really should have something in there for the Offense in general. How can you have players that did it last year and are so up & down this year? In no way can LoNeal be that important. Our offense has no identity anymore. They just seem lost. Our running game is no more. LT=Average RB this year. Hurt or not it wouldn't have made any difference. Ya'll can hate on me if you want but truth be told!

I still say stay with a single back formation and spread it out with 3 wide with Floyd getting that 3rd WR nod. The MAN is a human velcro machine when it comes to catching the ball. Our FB isn't doing sqwuat for LT right now so I don't think he'll be missed much. All I know is that something has to be done.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

Put a hat on Conc... and maybe we win. :lol:

8. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133

I'm sorry but i put this one on Rivers and Kaeding. The play calling was there. The D DID their job and held the steelers to only FG's. Here is my reasoning for blaming PR.

1. Your are in the Endzone, Throw the Ball!!! Holding the ball for 3 seconds in the end zone you are asking for a sack hence the safety!

2. 2 Redzone ops!!! one int, and one miss throw. And don't blame it on the ball because rothlessomthing threw the ball prefectly. PR messed up. He had Chambers on the cross pattern so he decides to overthrow Gates instead. There is 7 gone!

3. Nate Kaeding has 1 job. make a FG. Under 40 yds should be cake for a pro.

4. The D was awesome...they did their job, Rivera called an awesome game!

• Like Like x 2
  9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

SDCHRGER !!!!

:icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

10. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867

It's easy to blame AJ and the coaching staff. But remember that this is pretty much the same staff that led the same players to the AFC Championship. So I blame the defensive players for the collapse with AJ coming in second.

Too many games were lost on the defensive side which just demoralized the entire team. The offense which at one point led the league in scoring with 30+ points a game, knew that no mater how much they put up, the other team would score just a bit more on our pathetic D. You can blame Cottrell for the playcalling (which was pretty much the same as last year) or the Merriman injury. But the fact is that someone on the D had to make a play at some point during the last 10 games, and not one has done that or emerged as the defensive leader. Just make one damn game turning play dammit! A strip, an INT, something. But no, and don't let yesterdays 4 sack performance fool you. We still sucked even after allowing only 9 points because of the fact that Pitt had the ball for 36 Min and ran a million plays.

So I blame the players for not performing at the high level that made us successful last season. Ultimately Norv will fall for this, but if he falls, so should AJ. If that does happen, I say bring Bill Cowher in and give him full control of everything.

11. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

:abq1::abq2::abq1:

:nana_dance::nana_dance::nana_dance::nana_dance:

• Like Like x 1
  12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

QUITTER!!!!

:icon_tease::icon_tease::icon_tease:

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

That is true, maybe my hair was a good luck charm... :icon_sad:

Sorry folks... :icon_sad:

14. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

That's right, blame the defense for the offenses failures. Let me guess, you played offense in school? Was the defense to blame in some of these games? Absolutely. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that the offense is lost and it has nothing to do with the defense. Maybe if offense got one or 2 more first downs, the defense wouldn't have been in the position it was in at the end of the game.

Also, let's not forget how a few years back everyone loved how our offense pounded away at opposing teams and maintaining time of possession. We no longer do that and we had the ball back a lot quicker. Now more then ever our offense needs to maintain control of the ball. GUess what....it ain't happening.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

[​IMG]

16. frauschieze

frauschieze BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5

Firing Marty and bringing in Norv was one the dumbest moves ever, particularly timing-wise. Norv systematically runs teams into the ground as HC. So while my vote goes to Turner, Mr. AJ Smith gets an honorable mention.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

Damn... It hurts when the opposing fans dont like our coaches, and it aint because he kills them all the time.... :(

Thats it, I am off to meditate again!

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

What? What? What?

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

:icon_rofl:

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929

I think this is just too big to blame on solely one person or group

1. AJ gets the blame for picking nepotism over quality in Norv and Ted AND in spending large draft picks on minor role players who aren't used
    2. Norv gets the blame because his team which showed great resilience last year is now neutered and undisciplined. Teams take on the characteristics of their coaches and the Chargers have become a stereotypical norv team.
    3. Ted gets blame, no explanation needed
    4. The players get blame because even if the coaches are not 'motivating the team', the players have to motivate themselves. The team plays with no fire or desire or interest at all, and this goes all the way back to week two against denver when on the last few defensive plays of the game, the Chargers were basically standing still and not bothering to rush the passer.

Blame them all and time to flush lots of them down the toilet

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I'm going with AJ.

This goes back to Brees/Rivers, Schott/Norv, Wade,Ted

and

LT sulking since he's not the center piece of the offense anymore

AJ should have and could have made different decisions on all of the above.

But, hindsight and all

makes grumpy gramps

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

22. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867

I'd love to be able to control the clock on offense each game. But you need opportunities to do that, and it's not happening with a defense that can't get off the field. yeah the O struggled yesterday and the D played their best game in weeks, but the fact is that we took the lead and our defense once again allowed Pitt to drive easily down the field eating the clock. So yeah the D has a lot to do with the offensive failures. They are just not giving us enough opportunities each game to have the ball.

23. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

Just out of curiousity for those that say the coaches are to blame because they don't fire the team up and that the players take on the coaches persona. I look at coaches like Bellicheat & Dungy and they seem to be the most mellowist coaches around yet their players play with fire and passion. So how is it that Norv or even Cottrell were to blame when it comes to firing up the players?

Just asking.:icon_huh::icon_shrug:

24. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

And I 100% understand where you are coming from but you make it seem as though it is the "D" fault when Rivers throws 3 int in the red zone over I believe the last 3 games. Our offense is kicking field goals (or trying to and missing) when we are inside the ten and can't punch it in. Ask yourself this (only because I am too lazy to look up the games myself) had the offense scored a TD in all of our loses as opposed to kicking a FG, what would our record be? I understand that in your eyes the defense still let us down but I am not asking that.

You say our defense put us in the position to lose and i say our offense put us in a posittion to lose. The beauty of it is......we're both right!:no:

25. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867

There's nothing wrong with a coach who can fire up a team from time to time. But ultimately, these pro players need to motivate each other and themselves. So I can't blame the coach for this aspect int the game. Coaches game plan, call plays, make adjustments and the players need to go out there and execute. it's as simple as that.

When a player throws and INT right to a LB or misses a tackle it's all on them, not the coaches.

26. frauschieze

frauschieze BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5

Exactly. Fire, passion, heart....they all come from the players themselves. Not from the coach. A good coach can take those tendencies and use them for the best of the team; a few good leaders on a team can make a world of difference, but ultimately that passion comes from the players.

• Like Like x 1
  27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

The players also form their identity through the personality of the coach.
    Who the Hell knows what Chargers Football is now?

28. frauschieze

frauschieze BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5

Rookies maybe. One could make a pretty good case for that with the youth movement in Kansas City and Herm Edwards motivational coaching style, complete with crayon colored signs that say "You can do it. I believe in you." They seem to be turning things around slowly. Still sucking but they are showing improvement.

But I don't buy it with vets. You tell me LT's bad attitude is Norv's fault and I'll laugh my *** off.

29. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    The most overlooked mistake that AJ and maybe Norv made was not having veterans around as leaders. We lost Neal for whatever reason, and refuse to sign players like John Lynch or even Jr. Seau a couple of years back. Weather it's on the field or the sidelines, those types players would make a huge impact on our young underachieving players.

30. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Bottom line, The players don't believe in the system.