1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the best player in the AFC West

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Sound-off responses

ESPN
    By Bill Williamson
    6-3-2010

Our sound-off question this week was a biggie. We wanted to know who you think is the best player in the AFC West.

We had a great response. It was so great, that it was too close to call. So, in fairness, we are splitting it up to the best offensive player and the best defensive player.

Our best offensive player is San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers. Our best defensive player is Oakland cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. Rivers received a few more votes than Asomugha. But both players got an incredible amount of support.

Other players to get some votes included Denver’s Champ Bailey, Ryan Clady, Brian Dawkins and Elvis Dumervil; Kansas City’s Jamaal Charles; Oakland’s Shane Lechler and San Diego’s Antonio Gates and Vincent Jackson.

But this contest was dominated by Rivers and Asomugha. Here are some of your responses. Thanks to everyone who participated:

David from Lakeland, Calif.: Top AFC West Player: As a Raider fan, my heart screams Nnamdi Asomugha BUT his affect on a game is limited to his side of the field (granted, that is a large affect to have teams plan on avoiding half of the football field).I'd have to (grudgingly) hand the title to Philip Rivers.

Rob from San Diego: I am an avid Chargers fan, but that has no weigh on my choice of Philip Rivers being the best player in the AFC West, and here's why: Can any other player in the division take the weight of their team and carry them to the playoffs on their back other than Rivers? NO. The NFL is a quarterback league now as well, and Rivers is one of the best.

DJ from Orlando: The best player in the AFC West is Nnamdi Asomugha. Shut down corners in the the NFL are a rare. I can maybe think of two other players in the NFL beside Nnamdi that can claim that title and Nnamdi is the best of the bunch. He totally changes the way opposing QB's, including one Philip Rivers, approach the passing game against the Raiders. No one throws his way. I honestly would put Nnamdi in the top 5 best players in the entire NFL.

Scott from Los Angeles: Hey Bill, the best player in the division has got to be Nnamdi Asomugha. He is arguably the best corner in the NFL and has earned the title of 'shut down corner'. On a team with few (if any) stars, Nnamdi had quietly become one of the best players in the league and is constantly overlooked. He combines his football knowledge with speed, strength, and is not afraid to lay down some hits as well. Not to overlook other players in the division but it would be unfair to not give Nnamdi credit when credit is due.

Omar from Fresno: Nnamdi Asomugha is by far the best player in the AFC West. The Chiefs and Broncos don't really have any superior players, Phillip Rivers is second best.

Kurt from San Diego: Any objective observer would say that Philip Rivers is the best player in the division. He is a difference maker. He makes plays that win games. He makes the players around him better. He is a leader. And his skills are improving. What more needs to be said? Oh, how about he loves to play the game and he is an outstanding person off the field. All that talk about him being a punk is incorrect. His teammates love him. If he was in NY or LA, he would be a national star. San Diego is fortunate to have him and they will be a contender for as long as he is on top of his game.

Ravikmar from La Jolla, Calif.: I am a Chargers fan, but clearly Philip Rivers is the best player in the division as seen by the Chargers winning the division for 5 years in a row. We all know that the NFL is a quarterback driven league, and until the rest of the teams in the division can find a 4000 yd QB Philip Rivers will undoubtedly be the best player in the league. Rivers deserves this position because even with an anemic running game Rivers was able to put the team on his back and win 11 games in a row (esp. Giants game week 6). Ryan Clady is an extremely talented player as well and is definitely one of the best left tackles in the NFL, but his team's lack of skill position players and an elite QB does not allow his talent to make a larger impact as seen by the Broncos collapse in the second half of the season.

Gerald from Hayward, Calif..: I have to say the best player in the AFC West is Philip Rivers. QB is arguably the most important position and River's has been consistent in his game. He's a leader on and off the field. Without him the Chargers would not be considered a dangerous team.

John Timmer from Portland: Nnamdi Asomugha has to be considered the best player in the division. The guy is widely considered to be the best or second best corner in the entire NFL. While I admit Philip Rivers is good, he is at best the 4th or 5th ranked QB in the league.

Tim from Highlands Ranch, Colo.: Philip Rivers is by far the best player in the division. Without his leadership and his arm the Chargers wouldn't have had the season they had last year.

Bryan from Temecula, Calif.: Hands down the best player in the AFC West is Phillip Rivers. He put up MVP numbers and if it werent for Manning and Brees probably would have won the award last year. Guys a winner. Best player on the best team in this division and one of the best in the league.

Nick from Norcal: Asomough is the best all around player in the AFC West. He is such an exceptional talent that he would still be the best when played at his original position of safety.

Josh from Thayer, Mo.: As much as it pains me to say this as a Denver Bronco fan, I would have to say Phillip Rivers is right now. He plays the most important position and has played it at a very high level. But I think a close second is Ryan Clady. He has also been dominant at his position and hopefully can quickly overcome his injury. And third probaly Asomugha from Oakland.

Marios from Nicosia: Planet Asomugha. He is the best in his position in the entire league. There is no one else in the AFC west that is the best at his position.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,583
    Theres a difference between being the "best" player and the "most important" player. Nnamdi is damn good, but no CB is going to carry his team to the playoffs.

Top 3...
    Rivers
    Asomugha
    Clady

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +94
    Anybody who mentions anyone else other than Rivers as got to be on another planet!!:yes:

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +348
    Well I thought 85 should have got more votes..

AFC West inst dud-laden like some seem to think. There are stars on OAK, they just dont allow them to shine. Also not sayin hes best player but deffinatly should be on the list is KCs Jamal Chales.

But yea PR>Nnandi. Has been proven shutting down half of a football field still wont get you a W vs PR. Thanks alot to Gates....

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I think it's pretty easily Rivers.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Jesus told me it was Tim Tebow.

7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +815
    [​IMG]

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,779
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

• Like Like x 3
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

Thanks for cutting straight through the crap, Nick. :lol:

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +508
  13. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    That's funny... 'cause Tim Tebow told ME it was Jesus! :tup:

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I've been sharing Rivers' greatness with a lot of Raiders fans that are excited about their upcoming season. It usually changes the tone of the conversation rather quickly. :lol:

Rivers is daddy and he owns the AFC West.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    This was the funniest part to me:
    "Kyle Orton is closer to but not quite there with the McNabb-Eli group. Brady Quinn is closer to but a bit removed from the Flacco- Sanchez group."

HAHAHAHA, Orton is no where near even Eli's level, and Quinn is closer to being Billy Volek than he is Flacco or Sanchez. Neither player is ever going to be a legit starter

• Like Like x 1
  16. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Exactly. Orton and Quinn aren't even close to being in the same group as the ones the writer is mentioning.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]
    Sporting News Today

Big-game hunters: Six QBs are on track to bag title someday

Six current quarterbacks have led teams to NFL championships. Who will be next on the list and join that exclusive company? Here's a look at a half-dozen likely possibilities

When the New Orleans Saints hoisted the Lombardi Trophy in South Florida last February, it meant their leader and MVP, Drew Brees, had joined an exclusive club. Brees, after Kurt Warner's decision to retire this offseason, is one of six active quarterbacks to have won a Super Bowl.
    Brett Favre is the dean, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger are multiple inductees, and the Manning brothers round out the list. That's a pretty impressive group, but with driven young passers emerging around the league, you can expect the company to expand soon.

Here are six ringless QBs who have the best chance to join the Super Six soon:

1. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
    Brady and Big Ben set the bar high for winning early in a career. But, remember, it took quarterbacks as great as Peyton Manning and Brees nine seasons to get their rings. Manning was 30 and Brees 31 when they became champions.

Romo, 30, is entering his fourth full season as the Cowboys' unquestioned starter. He has steadily progressed from athletic gunslinger to well-rounded quarterback. Getting his first playoff win after his best regular season to date could be a springboard to something special in 2010.

A major factor in Romo's development is the increased time and effort he is putting into becoming a better player -- something his teammates have noticed.

"He's much more focused as a student of the game," Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff said. "He's always learning, asking questions."

That puts Romo on the verge of coming up with the ultimate answer to silence his critics.

2. Mark Sanchez, New York Jets
    Sanchez has some of the wunderkind appeal that Brady and Roethlisberger both had. As a rookie, Sanchez went to the AFC championship game, showing quick improvement in the playoffs after going through the typical struggles of inexperience during the regular season.

Because of their strong finish last season, the Jets enter 2010 with great expectations. Supported by the NFL's best defense and running game, many observers think Sanchez will deliver the goods this season.

"This will be a big year for him, and that will come with a lot of attention on him," ESPN analyst and former NFL defensive end Marcellus Wiley said.

Count on Sanchez to reduce his big mistakes and to provide more big plays by feeding off the run and getting the ball downfield to wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. He proved he could handle the pressure of being a much-hyped draft pick last season, and that confidence will go a long way in Year 2.

3. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
    Like Sanchez, Flacco is fortunate to have a strong supporting cast. He has a great feature back (Ray Rice), an excellent young left tackle (Michael Oher) and a new big receiving target (Anquan Boldin) to work with. On defense, the Ravens still have their trademark tough front seven, with inside linebacker Ray Lewis as the familiar anchor.

It has been 10 years since Lewis led the Ravens to their only Super Bowl title, but he likes what Flacco brings as a young leader heading into 2010.

"When they talk about what about made Joe Montana great, the kid gets it," Lewis said of Flacco. "It's like if he were playing basketball, it wouldn't matter if he missed once; he would keep taking the next shot."

4. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers
    Statistically speaking, Rivers has been the most consistent and impressive of the 2004 first-round QB class. But Roethlisberger and Eli Manning have rings and he doesn't.

The Chargers will remain a playoff shoo-in in the weak AFC West, so Rivers figures to get several more chances at a deep run. The team is working to become more defensively sound, and the addition of rookie power back Ryan Mathews will help rebuild the rushing attack as a complementary force.

5. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
    It turns out that team officials were right when they thought Rodgers was ready to take the reins from Favre two years ago.

Now that Rodgers has broken out as a prolific passer, the next step is delivering another championship to Titletown. He has the talent to at least match Favre's one Super Bowl victory -- and it helps that the team has surrounded him with skilled receivers and is building a strong 3-4 defense.

As good as Rodgers has looked, he can still refine his game and grow into a better decision maker. The Packers are working to give him better protection, and he would also benefit from his backs being more productive in the screen game.

6. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
    For a quarterback who has already been nicknamed "Matty Ice" and hails from Philadelphia, it might work out nicely that Super Bowl 48 will be held on a cold day in New Jersey. Atlanta is on the right track to building a championship team, but it might take a little while.

Ryan has drawn early comparisons to Manning and Brady, and his calm, collected demeanor in the pocket should make the Falcons feel great about their franchise's long-term future.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +348
    Nice read there, tho I cant agree with romo being most likely next SB QB in line. Part about Manning and Brees age before their 1st SB win i do like to remember.

Oh and also love being reminded that PR is and always will be statisticaly the best qb of the 04 class. Now if I could get some biased anti charger fans to read what is clearly being said about the 04 class as of now but i guess after the SB win it will be offical.

King of the 04 class will be our very own 17. I jus hope he chooses to retire a charger like he already seems pretty well pre determined to.

Is it just me or does the #17 look alot like the Superman logo?

• Like Like x 1