1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the greatest Charger Wide Receiver of all time?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Who is the greatest Charger Wide Receiver of all time?

1. Lance Alworth

78.4%
  2. Charlie Joiner

8.1%
  3. Gary Garrison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wes Chandler

5.4%
  5. Anthony Miller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Tony Martin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Vincent Jackson

5.4%
  8. Other (elaborate)

2.7%
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who do you think of when you think of the great receivers streaking down the side line to haul in a pass and give the Bolts a lead?

Why do you think of them?

Choices:
    Lance Alworth:
    “All I can say is that had "Bambi" played in more recent times, he, not Rice, would be considered the best wide receiver of all-time.” That praise comes from Oakland Raiders' owner, Al Davis.

In 11 seasons, nine with the Chargers, Alworth caught 542 passes for 10,266 yards for an impressive career average of 18.94-yards per catch and 85 touchdowns. During his nine seasons with the Chargers, the graceful receiver averaged more than 50 catches and 1,000 yards per season.

Charlie Joiner:
    With the Chargers' high flying "Air Coryell" offense under coach Don Coryell that Joiner had his most productive years, exceeding 1,000 yards receiving in a season four times and going to three Pro Bowls (1976, 1979-80). Joiner was selected All-Pro in 1980 and 2nd Team All-AFC in 1976. Although he never played in a Super Bowl, Joiner helped the Chargers reach the AFC title game in the 1980 and 1981 seasons. In the 1980 AFC championship game, he caught 6 passes for 130 yards and 2 touchdowns. In January 1982, he played a key role in San Diego's 41-38 divisional postseason overtime win over the Miami Dolphins in a game that is known as ‘The Epic In Miami’. Joiner caught 7 passes for 108 yards in the game, including 2 key receptions on his team's game winning drive in overtime. His 29-yard reception on the penultimate play of the game set up the winning field goal.

Joiner finished his 18 AFL/NFL seasons with 750 receptions for 12,146 yards and 65 touchdowns. He also rushed for 22 yards and returned 10 kickoffs for 194 yards. Joiner credited his success and longevity to Coryell: "Thanks to Coach Coryell’s offense and his revolutionary passing game, he prolonged my career, from the day I got to the Chargers until the day I retired. I will forever be grateful to him and what he did for the game of football.

Gary Garrison:
    Nicknamed The Ghost, I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about Gary Garrison. If you can believe Wikipedia, he holds the SDSU record for TD receptions with 26, and played for the Bolts from 1966-1976, gaining 7533 yards and scoring 58 TD's. Gary had some good years for the Chargers following their AFL Championship era, but I'm afraid that he may lose out in fan voting based in a lack of name recognition alone.

Wes Chandler:
    After college, the New Orleans Saints selected Chandler in the first round (third pick overall) in the 1978 NFL Draft, and he played for the Saints for four seasons. Chandler was selected to the Pro Bowl after his second season in the league after finishing with 1,069 yards and six touchdown receptions. He was traded to the San Diego Chargers in 1981 to replace star receiver John Jefferson, who was traded to the Green Bay Packers after a bitter contract hold-out. He led the NFL with 1,032 receiving yards and nine receiving touchdowns for the strike-shortened 1982 season. His 129 yards receiving per game that year is still an NFL record. One of his more notable performances was in a 1981 AFC playoff game known as The Epic In Miami, where he caught six passes for 106 yards and returned a punt fifty-six yards for a touchdown in the Chargers 41–38 victory. He also caught nine passes for 124 yards in a playoff win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the following season.

Chandler retired from the NFL during the 1988 season after an eleven-year playing career. During his NFL career, he caught 559 passes for 8,966 yards and fifty-six touchdowns, rushed for eighty-four yards, returned forty-eight kickoffs for 1,048 yards, and gained 428 yards on sixty-seven punt returns. Overall, he amassed 10,526 all-purpose yards. At the time of his retirement, Chandler ranked twelfth in NFL history in receiving yards and thirteenth in receptions. He also earned four Pro Bowl selections, including three with the San Diego Chargers. In 2001, Chandler was inducted into the San Diego Charger Hall of Fame.

Anthony Miller:
    A five-time Pro Bowl selection, Miller's best year as a pro came during the 1993 season with the Chargers, catching 84 passes for 1,162 yards and seven touchdowns.
    Receptions 595; Receiving Yards 9,148; Touchdowns 63

Tony Martin:
    Martin's peak performance in his career came during the 1996 season for the San Diego Chargers when he was selected to his one and only Pro Bowl, catching 85 receptions for 1,171 yards and an NFL best 14 touchdowns.

Vincent Jackson:
    Jackson got off to a slow start in 2005 due to injuries. He was inactive for the first five games of the season and finally saw his first NFL action in an October 16th game against the Oakland Raiders. He caught his first pass on November 6th against the New York Jets, but he would only catch two more passes for the rest of the season.
    Jackson caught his first NFL touchdown on September 17, 2006 in a victory over the Tennessee Titans. In 2006 in a Christmas Eve game against the Seattle Seahawks, Jackson had a memorable touchdown catch that led the Chargers to victory. With 29 seconds left, quarterback Philip Rivers threw a touchdown pass to Jackson and the Chargers ended up winning the game 20-17 and setting a franchise record for wins. Jackson ended the season strongly and finished second on the team with six touchdown catches.

Jackson entered the 2007 season as a starting wide receiver for the Chargers. He started the season in an unmemorable fashion in a home game against the Chicago Bears by dropping a sure touchdown that bounced off his chest in the end zone. However, by the end of the season, Jackson had distinguished himself as a top target for Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers.

In the 2008 season, Jackson had a career season with 59 receptions, 7 TD'S and 1,098 yards.

During a January 1 7, 2010 divisional playoff game against the New York Jets, Jackson made a 37 yard catch that was challenged by Jets head coach Rex Ryan. Jackson received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for kicking the challenge flag, which cost the Chargers 15 yards (The play was upheld).

Jackson was selected to his first Pro Bowl during the 2009 NFL season as an alternate.

Other:
    Elaborate.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ounce for ounce I have to go with Bambi! However, I still remember the 'then' NFL record 99 yard TD reception Tony Martin made as Humphries tossed the ball from the back of the end zone with a rush on...

Great times... Great times...

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Alworth - the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Malcolm Floyd! (according to AJ)

:lol:

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Jackson's had two good seasons. he doesn't belong in this conversation.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Only after this season...

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Lets agree to disagree on that subject. The same can be said of a lot of 'greatest' players.

He does belong in the converstation, simply for his impact those two very recent seasons. He is on the same level right now with Miller and Martin, whom you did not decide to exclude from the conversation...

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I don't know, I didn't really mention them in the post, but I don't think Miller or Martin really belong in it either.

That's not meant to take anything away from them, but Alworth kinda stands head and shoulders above the bunch.

When I think "all time" I generally think of people who do it for more than just two years.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Now, if we want to talk best seasons that might be different.

Alworth would probably still win it but I can at least conceive discussing those that haven't done it over a longer stretch of time.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, I can see that, I just dont lock it into the same catagories you do. For instance, what is a longer stretch of time? Three seasons, Four? Six? Some receivers dont get to play more than three.

But you hit on another good poll. Best Charger Season (for a player). Make it happen! :lol: :tup:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That works. Martin will always be stuck in my head for the play I mentioned and the fact that he was the best receiver we had after a long drought of sub par receivers.

And that I started the poll gives me certain licenses... :lol:

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I don't have the time to set it up but I like the idea.

But, by position or as a whole?

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think as a whole would be great. See people debate the likes of Fouts v. Rivers, LT v. Butts etc...

Bambi v....

14. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Buster Davis... :lol:

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Who is Lance Alsworth???

:flag:

16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I would think John Jefferson would be in this conversation.

17. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Are there only be 2 choices when you do the Chargers Greatest TE's poll? :icon_rofl:

:icon_tease:

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Throw in Freddie Jones just to watch him get no votes. :lol:

edit: Alfred Pupunu as well

19. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I voted for Bambi, but I think JJ might have been a better receiver. It's too bad he and Klein had it out and he ended up in GB.

20. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Joiner had more receptions as a Charger with 586 receptions. However, I would say that it is Lance Alworth just because of the fact that he consistently, had over 1000 yards receiving. Lance had 7 straight 1000 yard seasons. Furthermore, he did it while playing in the 14 game season format.
    Surprisingly, Joiner only had four 1000 yard seasons as a Charger.

Those are the only two that I think are worthy of the discusssion.

I find it interesting that Vincent Jackson was included, but not John Jefferson. VJ couldn't hold JJ's jock strap and JJ only played 45 games as a Charger.

One player I noticed that is conspicuously missing from your list is Pete Holohan. WTF?

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    he was a TE

22. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Bambi - Lance Dwight Alworth​

23. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Lance Alworth

He was taken 8th overall in the first round of the 1962 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers. The American Football League's Oakland Raiders drafted him as their first pick (ninth overall) in the second round of the 1962 AFL draft, and then traded his rights to the San Diego Chargers in return for halfback Bo Roberson, quarterback Hunter Enis, and offensive tackle Gene Selawski.[3] Alworth opted to sign with the Chargers instead of the 49ers. The Chargers moved Alworth to wide receiver. His slender build, speed, grace, and leaping ability earned him the nickname "Bambi."

Alworth was an AFL Western Division All-Star in seven consecutive seasons, from 1963 through 1969, and was an AFL All-League flanker the same seven seasons, selected by his peers from 1963-1966, and by newspaper wire services from 1967-1964. Alworth was the UPI's 1969 AFL Most Valuable Player and is a member of the AFL All-Time Team. He scored on a 48-yard touchdown pass in the Chargers' 1963 AFL Championship Game victory over the Boston Patriots. In Alworth's 8 AFL seasons, he led the league in receiving yards and receptions 3 times. He also set a Chargers record with 83 touchdowns.

He held records for the most consecutive games with a reception (96), and still holds the record for the most games with 200+ yards receiving (5) and was the only receiver to average more than 100 yards a game in three consecutive seasons (1964–1966). Alworth formed a formidable tandem along with Chargers quarterback John Hadl, and is considered by many to be the best wide receiver in all Professional Football during the 1960s. He was one of the few American Football League stars to be featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated (SI), which like other media of the 1960s, showed a distinct bias for the NFL. SI even went so far in 1969 as to declare Alworth "Pro Football's Top Receiver", this, a year before the AFL-NFL merger, and two years before the Common Draft, before which many claimed the AFL had inferior players.

24. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    This guy:

Charlie Joiner played pro football for 18 years, longer than any other wide receiver in history at the time of his retirement. When he retired at the age of 39 after the 1986 season with the San Diego Chargers, he ranked as the leading receiver of all-time with 750 catches.

Blessed with excellent speed and tantalizing moves, Joiner averaged 16.2 yards per catch and accounted for 12,146 yards and 65 touchdowns on his receptions.

Attached Files:

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Fixed. Alworth is the only choice on that board with Joiner being second.

VJ :lol:

26. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Oh, come on! Both Jacques MacKinnon and Willie Frazier would be in the poll before Freddie Bleepin' Jones.

27. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Laugh all you want, but if the question were "Which receiver, in his prime, would you want on the team", the only wideouts I'd select ahead of VJ would be Alworth and Chandler. Joiner is The Guy if longevity is being considered. He was amazingly consistent for a LONG time, but not a guy who had the Big Play capacity the other three have.

Chandler was an excellent return man, and so contributed on special teams, but VJ is an excellent blocker, so he contributes on offense even when he doesn't have the ball. Both, in their best seasons with the Bolts, have made HUGE impacts. I'd be happy to have EITHER.

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Alworth can be the only choice, there has never been anyone like him since.

29. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    There's a reason #19 is retired.

30. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    We've got a nice bold #19 sitting up there in Qualcomm. Bambi is the greatest no doubt.
    John Jefferson's talent must've been something to watch, highlight reel material every second.