1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who played well and who sucked against the Vikes?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Here is my list of who played well and those that sucked. I'd like to see your list also.

Positives

* Mike Scifres - His punts kept the Vikings with bad field position for much of the game. Man did he boom a few of those.

* Antonio Cromartie - That run back was sweet.

* Shawne Merriman - He didn't get a sack, but he did get pressure and deflect a pass despite being held most of the game.

* Darren Sproles - From what I've read around here, I know many will disagree, but he has the 6th best kick return average of those with at least 20 returns (26.1 yards per) and averaged 30 yards per return against the Vikes.

* Chris Chambers - He's already becoming the new go to target.

Negatives

* Philip Rivers - No way to put it besides just saying he sucked. This was his worst performance as a professional. 3 fumbles (1 lost), 1 interception, only 19 completions out of 42 attempts & a 49.4 QB rating. Pure suckfest.

* The Entire Offensive Line - What happened to these guys? Last year they were one of the best lines in the league, now they can't block anyone.

* Drayton Florence - How many of these stupid penalties is too many? Unsportsman like conduct? Why?

* Marlon McCree & Clinton Hart - Wrap a guy up. How many tackles did these guys miss because they were trying to get a big hit or make a strip? Wrap the runner up. Bite his ankles if you need to, but make the tackle.

* Defensive Line - "You Can't Run" is something these guys shouldn't be saying until they can prove they can actually stop the run.

* Norv Turner - Let me see, we're playing a team with a good run defense and a horrible pass defense, so we run LT straight ahead through out the game. Last year LT was most dangerous outside of the tackles. Then when we do throw, it looked like we were trying to hit a home run every time. Why not stick with high percentage short and medium passes and adjust to the pressure Rivers was getting by rolling him out on a bootleg and throwing some quick slants. Also "Boo Boo Norv" for a complete lack of emotion at these post game interviews when we lose. Get mad already. Show some fire!

* Teddy Cottrell - You Suck!

Who do you think did well? Who do you think sucked?

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    The Chargers sucked, so we all need to shotgun Heineken and down the Monster/Vodka.

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah, that's the easy way out. Drowning your sorrows with booze. Actually, I think I might join you.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Positives
    Cromartie - dude looks like a future star
    Sproles - did fairly well given the circumstances
    Scifres - best punter in the NFL
    Kaeding - don't know if it was the dome but he was solid all game long
    Chambers - is looking pretty good

Negatives
    The Tackles - both were beaten early and often. McNeil is having a sophmore slump, what's Olivea's excuse?
    The Heart - this team basically didn't want to play
    D-Flo - One more stupid penalty - the most undisciplined and moronic player I've seen in a while
    Rivers - I know he was getting harassed all damn day but seriously
    Jackson - You are so gone
    Mcree - Only thing he seems to be able to do is put questionable hits on people
    The Coaching - absolutely NO adjustments in your plan, no help whatsoever. How is it an amateur podcaster knows that you
    A. don't run up the middle
    B. use delays and screen passes to tire out the defense
    C. Stuff 8-9 people in the box since ALL THEY DO IS RUN
    yet the entire coaching staff does NOTHING of the sort?

5. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    k you said it so ur bringing it :tup:
    Thanks Powderlove.:tup:

6. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Well...I drink it up pretty consistently on game days, win or lose. It won't be much of a difference for me, I suppose.

7. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    HA! I'll be good for the Heineken, so I'll only drink whatever else I'm offered.:yes:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Cromartie
    Scifres

That's about it. The rest sucked balls. All of them. I would say Merriman, but **** that, he was also a STARTER on a d that gave away 296 rushing yards TO A ROOKIE?!?!?!?!?. For that, ALL defensive starters get failing grades.

Why in the world can't our coaching staff see Cro should be returning punts? Why did it take ****ing 3 quarters before Rivers threw a pass on 1st down? Ever heard of a screen pass Norv? Quick slant??

Ughh, frustrating ****ing game.

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Good:
    Cro's 109.9 yrd return TD.
    Chambers - I like what I am seeing so far.

Bad:

Def Schemes - There is this thing called disguising a blitz. Oh and btw Vikings like to RUN the ball, if you missed that note there Teddy.

Off Play Calling - I though we got rid of up the gut into a stone wall over and over and over with MB.

O-Line - Can you block anybody?

DFlo - You are the stupidest player in the NFL. Confirmed.

Rivers - Calm the fuk down.

VJ - He has no fuking Idea what is hands are used for and I think he is really only 5'10.

LT's Blitz Pickups - just sad.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I love it when VJ misses a pass and then procedes to slap his hands into his shoulder pads. LOL terrible.

11. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    You want me to look for positives after a game like that? If there was any improvement in games 5-7 then it was all pissed away this week. We can probably count on squeaking into the playoffs because the rest of the AFC West sucks. If I was A.J. I would be thinking about next season already, because Norv and company are clearly unable to keep this team motivated and focused. The play calling has plenty to do with it. What did we average on 1st downs? -1 yards? Maybe we should have run L.T. straight into the left guards *** more than the right guards ***. Yes B4Life, Norv does suck.

O.K. the punter looked great. There's my positive.

Wish I could be more positive, but that was a pathetic showing and we have too much talent to piss it away under Norv.

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'd vote against Merriman having a good game. He gave up the edge when he had containment WAY TOO MANY times.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Hard to find positives in a game like this......

Scifres was the ****. I guess that says it all. Mind you he is complemented quite nicely by the cover squad. Take a bow Kassim, Cro, Siler (this guy is a player), Weddle, Gregory etc.

Negatives

Playcalling/coaching
    Rivers
    O line
    McCree (gone at or before season end) and Hart
    VJack
    D line and linebackers (injuries notwithstanding)

:icon_evil:

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He was in a pass rushing mindset the whole way through - the goal there is to get the QB and usually turning the corner helps. The problem is, and someone should've pounded this into his thick head, is that since Minny RUNS so damn much, he should've had a run first mentality

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    He was held. :icon_shrug:

16. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    A few times he was ....

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Jammer was having a good game until he reinjured himself. BTW anyone still think we should keep Florence over Jammer?

Too bad he got hurt because he was the only one in the secondary who could tackle.

18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I know you have and you are COMPLETELY RIGHT about Cro. My brother (an FSU season ticket holder since '95) did get to see him play before going out with an injury and he told me Cro was awesome. Cro has totally impressed me this season, now that he's got his head into the game.

That's my positive, along with Scifres.

I'm not going to lump on Norv just yet...but our team is starting to look an awful lot like the Redskin team he coached. I think our players are smarter than that team. But if they get drunk on the Norv kool-aid, we won't sell out a single game next year.

19. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Positives:

Cro.

Scifres is back in form. Excellent job.

Negatives:

Offensive line-Big Mac had his worst game as a pro. Goff couldn't block Ryon Bingham at this point. Withrow is just like Hardwick and can't stand up to a nose tackle. No fire or intensity. They played like *****es. Olivea had the best day of the bunch:icon_eek:

VJ-Pack up and leave. You make no effort. Your blocking is useless since we never run off tackle. You can't make plays on the ball and since Rivers' accuracy has gone to **** you won't be catching anything.

Florence-You belong in a warehouse somewhere not playing cornerback. You are a ****ing moron the likes of which should not be on a professional football team.

LT-Bad game. You had to pick up the blitz and failed about half the time. You need to be the leader since no one else will be and kick someones *** on the sideline. I don't blame you for not getting rushing yards though.

LoNeal-Only positive is that we didn't throw a pass to you in the flat.

Defensive line-I never thought that I'd see our line play like such *****es. Not since KC had Roaf and Shields have I seen such a manhandling. Peterson wasn't touched until he was fifteen yards down the field because of your ****** play. You were handled one on one, and you got your **** packed in.

Linebackers-Read Above. Pathetic excuse for a 3-4 defense. All of you played like crap. Merriman, shut your god damn mouth during the week. You talk crap about wanting to hit Peterson, and then you get bent over like a *****. Step up your goddamn game if you want the fat contract. We won four games without you last year, and I don't see you providing a spark this year when we need it.

Safeties-**** you all. MEcree is horrible, and gets turnovers handed to him that keeps him in the starting lineup. Your no goddamn coach on the field, just a liability. Hart is non existent.

Rivers. After the play clock debacle you got flustered yet again. You get blitzed and have no time, but you must maintain your composure. Audible, pick the blitz up, move around the pocket effectively, do something! We won't win the Superbowl with quarterback play like this. Step up your goddamn play or get out of the way.

Coaching-Pathetic. HOW HARD IS IT TO STACK THE BOX AGAINST A TEAM THAT RUNS AND DOES NOTHING ELSE? MAKE THEM PASS!!!!!! COTTRELL, HOW ABOUT DISGUISING YOUR FUKING BLITZES!!!!! OH THATS RIGHT, YOU DON'T BLITZ. NORV, LEARN HOW TO ATTACK THE BLITZ. YOUR PLAYCALLING IS PATHETIC, YOUR GAMEPLAN IS PATHETIC. THE RECEIVERS AND TIGHT ENDS DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO LINE THE **** UP. THE PENALTIES WHERE ****ING PATHETIC! I SEE NO FIRE ON THE SIDELINE, I SEE NO FIRE AT ALL. BEING A HEADCOACH HAS MADE YOUR PLAYCALLING SUCK. GET YOUR GODDAMN HEADS OUT OF YOUR ****ING ASSES!!!!!!!!!

This team should have come home in a bus, not in an airplane.

That is all.

20. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Yep, that about covers it.

21. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I thought that during the game, and then said it in another thread today. It's really amazing the Olivea was actually the best OL yesterday. That tells you how bad we are playing.

22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    By comparison, McNeil had the worst game of his short career. Actually got called for holding, but the Vikes declined the penalty as it was going to be 4th down.

23. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Penalties killed us too, it seemed like whenever we did anything positive it was called back. Or maybe it was just that one pass to Chambers, I don't remember I tried to forget the game.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I believe you all have about covered it. IMO, this was a worse loss than earlier this year to NE. At least NE has been beating everyone.

Plus I lost all of my BoltCash on the game. :icon_evil:

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    In the words of the late John Mckay, When asked what he thought of his teams execution following a loss-- "I think it's a good idea."

"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking."

Other than Scifi, Cro and the shrimp we sucked across the board. :bolt: