1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who should be the next Charger HC?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rickochey, Nov 21, 2011.

1. AlphaB°lt

AlphaB°lt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    He'll be the first!

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Blind faith, I like it. :tup:

3. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    What people have never done is an interesting statistic, not necessarily such a relevant one.

Sure no coach has ever won a superbowl with 2 teams, but the Chargers have never won a superbowl with any coach, so is that reason to believe that neither will ever happen because it hasn't already?

Just because it took Cowher such a long time to win a first superbowl isn't relevant to how long it could take him to win one wiht this team, if indeed we could win a superbowl at all. He had to take time to develop not only his team, but himself as a person and a coach too.

To be honest I don't think there is any coach out there that could come in right now and make this team in instant superbowl contender, we have holes in the roster that need to be addressed before that can realistically happen, and that can't realistically happen over night.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think Leno's chin is more impressive. Maybe we could get him, Jerry Seinfeld, & Larry the Cable Guy for this cast of clowns.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Won Super Bowls with two separate franchises? I'm still checking into that.

There have been coaches to take multiple franchises to SB's and win the SB with at least one of them. Dick Vermeil is one (Eagles, Rams), Mike Holmgren is another (Packers, Seahawks), going way back in history Paul Brown (Browns, Bengals).

It's enough evidence to suggest that it's not an impossible task, particularly when there have been two relatively recent examples of coaches getting back to the big one while with their second successful team. So while it's not something that's been done before, it's doesn't appear to be something that can't ever be done.

6. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    Two more are Bill Parcells (Giants & Patriots) and Don Shula (Colts & Dolphins)

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +475
    if Cohwer comes, he might not win the superbowl as a HC but he might leave a good FO structure in place and posibly a good replacement as HC from one of his coordinators

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,616
    Considering we've waited over 50 years for 1, what's 14 more years? :p
    Nope.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    The Khan & Cowher hire would only work if they were able to hire some talent from under the stiller's. Coaching for starters and what players they would be able to snag, if any. It's more the system that is proven over many years and Lombardi's of course, I would miss the Air Coryell style offense though, it is what defines the Bolt's.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    I actually wonder if some former steeler coordinators etc would be interested in coming to SD - depends who might be available

11. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182
    so is there a list of suggested HC/GM s around here? How many possible candidates other than the obvious high profile names that have been going around the mill

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    There are former stiller assistants throughout the league so Cowher should be able to assemble a decent coaching staff who know the system.

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Umm, you do know that Mike Zimmer has the longest active streak as a defensive coordinator in the NFL right? Hes been the DC for the bengals for the past 4 years and his is his 12th consecutive season as a defensive coordinator somewhere. So just curious, how much more experience do you want?

14. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    After thinking about it for a week, ive com up with my top 4 choices for HC next year

1 - Mike Zimmer - Has been my #1 choice since i jumped off the norv train. Great leader as well a great teacher. Have heard more than a few ex bengals say that he was the reason for their improvement. Hes also a leader, something that is very important for a head coach. Just actually listen when he talks!

2 - Ken Whisenhunt - Ok all the re-treads, hes the one i would want most. The guy is a great coach who just needs a decent QB to make his teams go. When he was in Pitt, once they got Big Ben, he helped get them to the super bowl almost immediately, and when he got to the cards, he turned a pathetic team into a super bowl team in just his 2nd year after turning to Kurt Warner. I dont know if he will get fired, but if he does, the chargers better interview him!

3 - Chuck Pagano - Seems like a smart, aggressive coach who actually knows what he doing. Again he also seems like a leader who players actually listen too. And yes i know the past record of ex-ravens DC, and know that he has the benefit of having 4 of the top 20 defensive players in the league (lewis, reed, suggs, Ngata), but at the same time, even with talent, if the coach is an idiot, they will still suck and we as charger fans know that better than anyone. Plus, he hates the raiders, which is always a bonus!

4 - Bill Cowher - Not a fan of his, but if he was able to convince the spanoses to fire AJ and hire Omar Khan, id be happy, plus if Whisenhunt gets fired, maybe cowher would be able to convince him to come here as his DC

15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Good call. Mainly a 4-3 guy but he's had experience with 3-4. Some of his Dallas defenses kicked ***.
    I'm not a fan of retreads. Get a motivator out of the NFL coordinator or NCAA head coach ranks. Zimmer fits.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Top 5

1. Mike Zimmer
    2. Chuck Pagano
    3. Bill Cowher
    4. Winston Moss
    5. Rob Ryan

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    True, but in the NFL, it only takes 1-2 good off seasons to turn a team from terrible to SB contender. Saints went from 3-13 to 10-6 the year Payton was hired, and 3 years until SB win. I am not saying that will happen here because as I said, it will take a 1-2 good off seasons, which isn't happening with our current front office.

If Dean does the right thing and fires Norv and AJ, then makes good decisions on his GM and coaching hire, we could turn it around very quickly

18. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    Well, let's hope so. You'd like to think that a better coached team this season would've won at least half the games we lost, which would not only give us first place in the division, but also a playoff spot and make us pretty respectable. The going into the off-season you could make the argument that as a team we are only a few pieces from being pretty legit.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I still believe we legitimately need 5-6 new starters on each side of the ball. This team is very poorly coached, but they are also not very talented as a team

20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I meant in being successful.. I think Mike Zimmer would be a good fit.. but it would also be his first head coaching job.. so not quite sure if hes ready for it.. Its a tough transition

21. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    It's kinda funny when you read back on the posts in this thread and you see dozens of potential head coach names being thrown around and then all of a sudden it hits you..... Every single one of them, without fail, would be an upgrade from Norv Turner.

Makes you realize that maybe the only way is up for us next season.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,178
    I vehimetly maintain that I should be the next head coach of our San Diego Chargers...

23. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52

24. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    This is the Cowher I wouldn't mind on our sidelines.
    billcowher3.jpg

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,600
    I hope he doesn't look like that so much on our sideline

• Like Like x 1
  26. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    LOL - I see your point. I was thinking this would be a look reserved for the zebras. Or perhaps for Patrick Clayton after calling for a fair catch when there was no defender within 10 yards. Or maybe VJ when he forgot to look for the ball at the end of an endzone route. Or it could be for Clary when he once again became a turnstile... etc, etc.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600

Another month, another win. 10-2 with Alex Smith under center.

And the answer to your question is yes, it is exauhsting being right all the time.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Kindly explain this logic to me.

More coaches presently in their 1st HC'ing run have been fielding more consistently successful teams over the past decade and a half than there are retread coaches doing the same. In fact the retreads' success rate would be considerably lower were it not for some of the absolute boneheaded coaching hires over the past 5 years - several of which can be attributed to Uncle Al's Revolving Coach Carousel.

29. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    DC no doubt he could do it.. but HC is something else.. its a tough transition.. we have two completely different offenses to what he's seen in Cincy...

I think its a risky move but worth it..

30. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    I would have you over Norv. Put your application in then.

• Like Like x 1