1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who should be the next Charger HC?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rickochey, Nov 21, 2011.

1. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    As long as AJ stays on as GM it will be the weakest one available.. Grow a pair Dean and lose AJ he is the root of our woes lose him and a new HC will follow. Lots of the big names mentioned will never consider working with AJ! no matter the $

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No to all. I want a young guy who has never been a HC before. Someone like Payton, Tomlin, Morris, or Harbaugh (both). Just going off my mind, I can't think of too many successful HC's that left one team and had success with another.

Since I don't know all the coordinators in the league, nor do I follow college to know which coaches would be good candidates, I don't know who I would want. All I know is I don't want Norv nor anyone on that list

3. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    How about Chud? He would be a new HC and knows our personnel.

4. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    we need someone new and fresh... someone who is not going off of familiar names but looking for quality players.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    No Chuck.. Ravens DC..

I would like to see Winston Moss without a doubt.. He can lure Dom Capers (whos contract is up after this year) with him here.. that would be perfect.. Winston is not an idiot he calls the plays with Aaron Rodgers and look how good he's looked.. WINSTON MOSS! Listen AJ and DEAN.. You schmucks..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Ooh Chuck Pagano, now working with a Harbaugh. If they could get him, and he is qualified, then that sure looks like a good pick-up.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Norv isn't going anywhere. This team will likely win just enough games to keep him safe. Which means AJ stays another year, too. So if you think that missing the playoffs or finishing below 500 is enough to get Spanos to take action... think again... and then go read the "Chargers Winningest Coach" thread.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    • Like Like x 2
  9. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Norv Turner!

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    All I say in this is F Jeff Fisher. He is a sob who took out Merrimans knee bc Shawn ran into Vince Young and Fisher went into take out that players knee mode.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    I should be the next HC!

13. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Dan Fouts
    Charlie Joiner

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Hank Bauer?
    Louie Kelcher?
    John Jefferson?
    Kellen Winslow?

15. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Aside from his great work with that ravens defense, The reason i would want Pagano as the chargers heads coach......

It would be nice to see our head coach HATE the raiders again (the ONLY thing i liked about marty). Plus if hes hired, there is a good chance he would hire his brother as the DC, something that should of happened here this year instead of Womanusky

Hes #2 on my list behind Zimmer

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This organization blew it when they failed to reach out to Jim Harbaugh. That was a monumental mistake that may never be overcome unless they can lure him from SF somehow.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't want Fisher by any means, but I would love that nasty mentality to take over our defense

• Like Like x 1
  18. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Bob Stoops.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I totally get that Harbaugh is the Flavor of the Month, but don't you think it's a
    little early to be pronouncing him an awesome NFL coach? Nine NFL wins,
    against so-so competition, hardly an NFL legend makes. Yes, nice start, Mr. Harbaugh,
    but I'll wait a couple seasons to see if he's a flash in the pan.

(p.s. Thanks Chargerfn909...I fixed "eight" wins, to "nine." My bad)

20. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    9 wins.. And all damn impressive at that.

He took a 6-10 team that didn't have an identity and turned them into a smash mouth bully.

Also, what he has done for/with Alex Smith is simply remarkable. Please do not try and down play Jim's coaching.

• Like Like x 2
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I do think he will be good, but you are right, a lot of people were saying the same thing about Singletary's early success also

22. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
    Sadly enough couold we go as far as to say we may even be better off with Singletary in comparison to Norv? He'd probably make a better DC than Manusky, i will say one thing for Mike, he knew how to light a fire under somebody's ***!

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721

Hey, YOU have every right to jump to conclusions and decide that this short
    period will be indicative of years to come. I've just been watching the ways
    of the NFL for far too long to make sweeping presumptions. Remember when
    Gruden was a "genius" for winning a Super Bowl with Dungy's team,
    and then took a World Champion to a sub .500 record and only 2 playoff games
    (both wild-card game losses) over the next 6 seasons? I do.

Feel free to up play Jim's early coaching...I'll wait and see.

24. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
    One overlooked factor in the whole "Harbaugh is a great coach" part, is the personnel they have available to them this year.

As LBs, Willis spent last season with a club on his hand, and Navarro Bowman wasn't nearly as good. Willis right now looks amazing, like DPOY amazing, and Bowman looks like he's becoming Willis Junior. Aldon Smith was a real draft hit too. Dashon Goldson was a great pickup and so was Carlos Rogers, and they've also picked up Braylon Edwards who is a decent player.

Sure he's done a good job so far, but IMO the biggest difference is a healthy Pat Willis and surrounding him with decent players.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Here's what you can take to the bank: Harbaugh will keep an eye on team needs in all areas and he'll rely on quality, experienced coaches to provide valuable input as to what positions are thin and in need of attention for the future. He won't just concern himself with one side of the ball, but he'll want to know what's going on everywhere. And if something's broken he's not going to wait for someone to fix it. He's a fearless competitor and it's evident in how he's risen so far so fast. It's true he's had the benefit of healthy talent thus far, but he's getting the most out of what he's got. And his team is winning because they play sound, fundamental football. He hates losing. Hates it with a passion. I remember it wasn't so long ago that we got that feeling from our QB. Imagine him and Harbaugh together. Bliss.​

• Like Like x 3
  26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    LMFAO

27. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34

Pat Willis was EVERY bit of the beast last year, if not better. Bowman is developing very nice too, but Carlos Rodgers and Goldson are a product of their coaching.

Edwards hasn't done ****. This is the SAME team as last year + Aldon Smith, minus Spikes, Franklin, and Clements.

Jim and his staff is why this team is where it is.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
    Like I said, Willis played half the season with a club on his hand, he wasn't as good at all. He was still beast, but right now i'd say he's the best defensive player in the game. And it wasn't the same team at all, a pretty similar offense, but much improved D with better and developed players. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to take away from harbaugh, but their success is more than just him.

29. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34

Ok not JUST him, but a solid 90% is definitely him ;)

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Occam's Razor people.

There is a very real and simple reason Harbaugh has been wildly successful everywhere he's coached: He is extremely good at this job.

• Like Like x 1