1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who should be the next Charger HC?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rickochey, Nov 21, 2011.

1. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    it seems that MOST quality teams have had issues between HC and GM/owner
    Beathard- Ross
    AJ- Marty
    Titans- Fisher
    Jones-Johnson
    Jones-Shwitzer
    Al Davis and the entire human population
    among others

Peeps are saying that there is no way a strong minded,winning attitude HC such as, Cowher, Gruden could come to SD. I have employed peeps that I didn't get along with but there success at what they did made my job easier. I do not know how bad it must be fr a GM to get along with his HC but it is apparent both men have the desire to win. This organization had the best/most success when the GM and HC did not get along. What we need is a HC that will ruffle some feathers and keep the GM in check.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    John Mitchel HC and let him build his own coaching staff. 18 years of service with the Stiller's.

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    JEFF FISHER? he makes teams SCARED? HAHAHAHA!

Yeah he scared the **** out of New England when they walked in there and walked out losing 59-0 in 2009..

That Jeff Fisher intimidating defenses is done now.. He didn't have Javon Kearse, Keith Bulluck, Haynesworth, Kevin Carter, Dyson and Samari Rolle anymore.. that was years ago.. 2003 i believe.. so please don't say that..

• Like Like x 1
  5. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Yes, we don't want Jeff Fisher. One of the most over-rated coaches in the NFL. his win-loss percentage is ugly.

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Wait... did you just use the words "Jon Gruden" and "strong-minded" in the same sentence?

HOW?! Just because he talks in circles a lot - without managing to say much I'd add - doesn't make him wise or intelligent (the guy is a master of pontificating). The only positive he'd bring to this team is the lulz that would come from comparing his scowls and Rivers' side-by-side.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    hahaha....yeah he does sound like a bumbling idiot on tv. I like how he predicts a play and it is nowhere close to what he called..lol

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    People clamoring for Gruden need to do some homework on his last few years in Tampa when he wasn't coaching a team full of Dungy's players anymore. It wasn't a pretty picture.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    By the same token people need to remember Cowher was close to losing his job after he made one super bowl appearence in the 90s & didn't win until the mid 2000s. Let's realize that he won't be an immediate tonic that goes from 0 to super bowl in a season

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Agreed.

Also I don't want Cowher either.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +250
    The thing is, this is a team that has talent beyond the output that we tend to see most of the time. While people may say Cowher took a long time to win, at least he did actually win, and i'll guarantee that he could do a hell of a lot better job motivating this team than Norv ever could. Cowher would also bring with him an OC and DC so we will still likely have a decent presence for both, but his strength is being a good leader and being able to motivate people, which is Norv's area of epic fail.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Sorry but I do not agree with this statement anymore. We do not have the talent we think we do. If we did the record right now would not be 4-7.

Name 3 guys on our D that would start for the Ravens D. Name 3 guys on our O that would start for the Patriots O. You can't and neither can I.

13. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +32
    I say we get a hungry college/Defensive minded coach. What would you think of Les Miles from LSU?

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    My only concern with College coaches is that it seems many of them are not able to transition from alm0st full control to the NFL style. That said the other edge of the coin has a lot of good coaches who has done just that.... So in short I have no clue...

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,380
    Quoted for accuracy....... #imjustsaying :D

• Like Like x 2
  16. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +32
    I hear you. But it cant get worse than Norv. The problem with someone like Gruden, Cower or Fisher is. They will want full control. If we can possibly swing Cower as our new GM and Miles as the HC. his would give us the best chance going forward. Any thoughts on that?

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Maybe. I would not be totally opposed to the idea. Better than hiring Wade or some other half wit dumbass coach who has proven time and time again they are failures as HCs.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Oh no you didant!

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Patriots?
    Dielman, VJ, Mathews

Ravens? You got me there, maybe Phillips or Weddle???

For the record I'm fine getting a young up and coming coordinator; a Winston Moss or a Mike Zimmer. That's perfectly cool with me. But that means that there shouldn't be any bitching and complaining about how pathetic we are that we couldn't bring Cowher/Fischer/whomever back. There's two viable paths we take at the end of the season; young coordinator, old proven coach. Either are acceptable. Neither path include someone like a Wade Phillips.

Oh and I'm not a huge fan of college coaches coming, Harbaugh is an exception not a rule

• Like Like x 1
  20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I think the NFL has evolved more as a college game.. I mean think about.. the offense is ridiculous this year.. I cannot believe the Saints blew out the Giants that BAD.. The wildcat offenses being implemented more as well..

Now I am not a fan of college coaches coming into the NFL.. plenty examples point to why..

Fisher, Dungy, Cowher, Gruden are all N-O's! I will really challenge your IQ if you think they should step in as our next coach..

21. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    I'm on the "up and coming coordinator" bandwagon with maybe a OC and DC that where hot as coordinators but not as HC (like, but no necesarily) Sparano, Spagnuolo (they might both be fired this offseason)

22. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +250
    To try and answer: On O it would be VJ, Dielman, maybe even McNeill and maybe Hardwick. Mathews would have some place in their offense too, and a healthy Gates would still be better than any of their TEs. They're a better team than we are because they make a lot less mistakes and play much more disciplined football. On D we'd probably get Weddle, Phillips, and maybe at a push Castillo. They've got all their main guys playing, they've been together a long time, and are also much more disciplined and well coached. In fairness you are talking about maybe the best O and maybe the best D in the game, just because our players aren't as good as that doesn't make them not talented. We have been in a position to win every single game we lost, but threw it away due to mistakes, a better coach would have made steps to put that right after it happening a couple of times, not 6 weeks in a row.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Rather take a shot with him than get Cowher or Gruden

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    It's easy to say "A healthy Gates" but when he hasn't been healthy in nearly 3 years, you can't just assume he is healthy.

VJ would start, until he threw a temper tantrum and Belichick benched his ***.

Dielman may possibly be out of football for ever, same goes for McNeil.

Castillo shouldn't even start for us. No chance he starts in Balt.

Weddle starting over Reed? You have got to be kidding.

Phillips starting over Suggs or Johnson? No chance

This team needs a complete over haul, even if Dielman and McNeil come back healthy. We still need to replace BOTH Vasquez and Clary, we need a legit FB, we need a RB who can stay healthy to rotate with Matthews and Tolbert. We need a TE since Gates is on the back side of his career and can't stay healthy.

As for the Defense, Luiget is a rookie and isn't going anywhere. But we Garay can't even win a one on one battle, neither can anyone on the other side of the line.

Our LB core is a complete mess outside of Butler, and we either need a CB and FS or two CB's if Jammer moves to Safety.

This team is a mess and to think otherwise is just ridiculous

• Like Like x 1
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    You're going back into Chicken Little mode...

Phillips would start over Jarrett Johnson on Baltimore - there's no question in my mind and there's absolutely no homerism in that statement. Granted he might be the only one on our defense that would start for the Ravens (the question in itself is faulty though since it's saying find me guys on our team that would start for the #1 defense in the league) because of the way they run their safeties and they like having Pollard as the "hammer" being how much Reed is able to do in coverage, and that doesn't fit well to Weddle's skill set.

Dielman's out for the season. Is there cause for concern? Yes. But you're already putting his and McNiell's careers in jeopardy?

You do realize that "legit FB's" are almost as rare as franchise QB's, right? More times than not the ones that can catch don't run-block particularly well, and the ones that run-block well have issues with their hands and aren't much in the way of contributors in the passing game. You fit acquire the type of fullback you need according to what your offense details the FB be able to do well in order for the offense to function.

I agree that Clary and Vasquez don't have long-term prospects - Clary's going to be kept around until someone (is put in a position to) takes his spot from him because we simply don't have the tackle depth. Even if a rookie or FA signing beats out Clary, who exactly do we have behind that guy?

Our CB's look terrible because Jammer is losing his speed (that comes with age) and because we've shot our feet into Swiss cheese in terms of producing effective pass rush in terms of both drafting, free agent signing, scheming, play-calling, and in-game adjustments. Carlos Rogers has experienced a rebirth at his position since moving from Washington to San Fran - this same SF team that was getting chewed up through the air last season for the exact same reasons and in the exact same way we are - but you could put Rogers here, right now, in our scheme and he's look like hot garbage. If you can't effectively rush the passer, or even put your players in a position to have a prayer of getting to the passer by rushing more than 2 or 3 men on a given 3rd down play, you're stacking the deck against any secondary. Honestly, we can't even effectively evaluate any position in our secondary outside of SS where it's just a need due to lack of bodies because we haven't put them in a position to be able to get what could be considered an accurate reading.

This isn't a pure nature versus nurture of football argument, it's some from column A, some from column B. That said, quality coaching finds ways for average players to look above average. And fans are kidding themselves if they expect to have stars at every positions. Do we need a defensive playmaker? Yes, we do. And we don't have a consistent one right now; we have guys who show flashes in bursts but aren't the type that can sustain it for a full season (Phillips and Weddle). The issue is that as far as legitimate playmakers go, you either have to bet the farm in terms of the trade package you give up to get them off a team that has already drafted them or you've got to draft them yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +250
    Gates in his current condition is still a decent NFL tight end. And to be honest i think VJ would start for any team in the league. I can't think of any that have 2 receivers better than he is. Dielman and McNeill careers over? News to me, I wasn't aware that IR meant career was over. Enough of the Castillo hate, he should 100% definitely start for us and is a hell of a lot better than you seem to think he is. The run game has been unspectacular, but it's still too early to give up on RM, many young backs take time to figure it out, at least we know he does have the talent to be a good NFL back. Weddle over Reed? When did I say that? I'd play both of them, Weddle at SS over Bernard Pollard is a logical move in my view. Phillips is defnitely not better than Suggs, but would start at the other side without a doubt. You'll get no argument from me about Clary, but i think Vasquez still has potential, he's decent and should have a place in this team, unless you expect an entire O-line of pro-bowlers. Garay is probably gone after the season anyway in my view, maybe we should think about investing an early pick in a new DT. We do need another starter for LB in the long term, right now definitely an extra player so Spikes doesn't have to play so much, but then again the team probably expected Mouton / Cooper to be those guys. In the interim i think Diggs has done an ok job, i worry more about our outside linebackers. CB wise i think we do need to start thinking about Jammer's replacement, whether he can transition to safety will be something for the team to think about. All in all we still have some good pieces on both sides, we need to get those pieces healthy, and then need to work aggressively to upgrade what we lack. The most important things in my view are pass rushing and coaching.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I didn't say Gates was bad. He is still good. But I wouldn't say he is an automatic starter over Hernandez or Gronkowski.

There are rumors that both Dielman and McNeils careers could possibly be over. Rumor is, both are concerned over the long term effects of their injuries, and are concerned about their long term health if they continue playing. These are just romors, but it is a possibility.

Castillo can't even win a one on one battle and hasn't been able to in years. If you are simply looking for your DE to occupy ONE blocker and make no pass rush at all, then yeah you are right, he isn't bad.

I am not giving up on Matthews. But I recognize that he had at least one injury every year in college, and has had injury issues since joining the team. This is why I said we needed to add another RB that can take some carries. This doesn't mean replace him. It means limiting his carries so he can hopefully stay healthier.

You said Weddle would start on Baltimore. Since he and Reed both play Free Safety, common sense says you meant he would start over Reed.

Phillips would be a role player/backup on the Ravens, and that is only after Ray Lewis punched him in his botch mouth and he learned to keep his mouth shut.

Vasquez should definitely have a play on this roster, just not as a Starter. I don't expect pro-bowlers, but I do expect better than anyone on the right side has shown.

This team is made up of a crap load of role players and backups that have been moved to the starting lineup due to a lack of better option, or because of their draft position. We need a complete over haul to get back to being a SB contender. If we had another 2004 type off season, we are back into it. But that is a lot to expect, especially if AJ stays

28. AlphaB°lt

AlphaB°lt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    [​IMG]
    LIKE A BOSS! HIRE THIS GUY!​

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Do we really have 14 years to wait for a Super Bowl ring?

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Also, has any SB winning coach ever gone to another team and won a SB there?