1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who the F is making personnel decisions like this one?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Stop the press. I am starting to wonder who the F is making the decisions at Chargers Park. Tue we signed a scrub ex Colt to our team and put Applewhite on IR. At this time we had Simeon Castille on our practice squad, a guy who has been hear all training camp. Today Castille gets promoted to the active roster and Hughes gets cut. Someone explain this to me cos I sure as hell cannot understand for 1 minute what sort of crap is going on. Imagine being that poor lad Hughes, hope one second, desperation the next. All because someone has no clue what they are doing. Unbelievable. :icon_evil:

http://www.chargers.com/news/press-...e-Hughes/3ab7c248-8e44-4db9-b087-ed3d6b0f36e2

2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Probably, since Castille was in training camp they knew what he could do. Then they brought in Hughes to see if they thought he was going to be better than Castille.

3. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I always wonder that same exact question

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I've never understood why people bother getting worked up over personnel moves involving back ups that haven't seen significant play time.

Unless you're at Chargers practice on a daily basis you don't really know what these players are or are not capable of doing and therefore don't really have much grounds to have a valid opinion on roster moves involving them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    But we've had some injuries to our starters already. It's actually a really good thing to know and make sure we have good, capable back-ups.

6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    One scrub in, one scrub out. Does it really make a difference?

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I agree that it's a good thing to know that. I'm just saying the average fan is hardly in a position to know it so we're forced to trust the Chargers front office to make the right decision.

Really. How can any one of us know anything about Castille or Hughes?

Neither one of them has played in real games that matter and none of us are at Chargers practice watching them practice.

8. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I interpreted Dublin Bolt as saying we are JERKING players around for no good reason...it is more of a empathy thing than anything else....just my opinion...and I certainly may be wrong.

9. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree...the nature of the beast

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    That's the nature of the beast, though.

I don't expect the Chargers to hold on to a player who isn't any good just because they feel sorry for him.

Sounds cruel, yeah, but it is what it is.

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    Hughes was likely picked up for depth and brought in to see how he did and how he fit what the chargers needed him to do - looks like castille was the better option - hughes hasn't been signed by another club for a reason and wasn't able to give us what we needed.

harsh - maybe - but if they'd kept him around just to be nice and he f'ed up in a game people would be treating him waay worse :p just how things work in the NFL.

12. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree with everything you said...I just wish our talent scouts had better judgement. To bring someone in, and then cut someone loose that quickly means we are not doing our homework..IMO.

13. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,806
    Only if they brought him in thinking he'd be something he wasn't - the guy doesn't exactly have a lot of history for them to work with in the NFL.

He came in, they kicked the tires, didn't like what they saw... let him go. Not sure what more they could really do unless he'd made more of a contribution somewhere.

14. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I guess it is the same as calling someone in for an interview who’s resume is stiller...then you find out "they are not who you thought they were". Ok...not an exact quote, but you get the point.

15. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,806
    totally get ya hehe

i'm more disappointed they didn't make some sort of deal to get some beef in here... but given the CBA situation sounds like it was even harder to get a deal done this year than in years past...

Grade A BEEF is what we need more than anything else and if AJ's crew doesn't get that done in 2010 offseason/draft then I just might light a torch of my own. For now... it's slim pickin's so it's hard to be too critical.

16. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I personally think Castille showed some good things in the preseason and if he gets a shot might be a diamond in the rough.

He still has a lot to work on but he may prove everyone wrong if given the chance to play.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Um it really isn't that hard to figure out, when Hughes was signed our DBs were healthy (probably added for STs since he isn't really a corner), when Cromartie tweaked his knee we needed someone to play nickel just in case, that's where Castille steps in, and since Hughes was just added he's the most logical to get cut.

So no the team isn't as clueless as you think they are.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Some interesting replies.

Yes there is a bit of 1 scrub in 1 scrub out, 1 scrub promoted.

But my point is, was what happened necessary?. In my view it wasn't. Yes I know it is a business but I betcha that guy Hughes, apart from being v disappointed, must be thinking 'what chance did I get (he arrived wed gone friday), what sort of people are trying to run that ship out in SD?'.

It all reeks of something to me. Panic maybe, incompetence?, poor scouting, poor management, whatever. It does not look good to me. If I'm a player on the team right now u gotta be wondering WTF is goin on.

Maybe I am being over sensitive to a scrub's plight, maybe it is mountain out of molehill, it's just I have never seen something as crazy happen. :icon_shrug:

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Here today, gone tomorrow. That's the NFL (Not For Long) league.

20. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I think you are overreacting. I am sure Hughes knew that he was signed for a chance. If the coaches felt he was a better option that Castille after a few days he stayed, if not, he went. He gets a few days pay and a chance to make a team. A player can come in and workout for a team but cannot practice with them. The only way to put him on the practice field with other players is to sign him. I don't watch the other teams, but I would guess this happens a few times each year.

21. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    It was necessary. If Cromartie wasn't able to go our starters would of been Cason and Jammer, Gregory would of been nickel but that would of left us very, very thin at CB. Hughes does not have the speed for CB, I'm guessing he was brought on for ST as sort of luxury, but when you have a need (which we did) you can't really afford to just hang onto guys. We needed Castille just in case something happened, luckily it wasn't needed but you can't blame the team for covering their bases.

You never know what happens in a game, we saw what happened in the opener when we almost ran out of olinemen due to injury.

Maybe Hughes will be given another shot if they saw something they liked in him or they'll just stick with Castille.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    That pretty much sums it up.

Yeah, it sucks for Hughes, but I don't expect the Chargers to hold onto someone who isn't any good and/or doesn't play the position they need the depth at just because they don't want to hurt his feelings.

23. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Gregory held his own yesterday, I was impressed whenever I saw him

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
  25. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    No it isn't. I said they'd give him another shot if they saw anything they liked in him. Clearly they did.

Castille was an insurance add in case Cromartie couldn't go. I said it when it happened and now it's even more obvious that it was.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    The real question is will Hughes be invited to the party when the Chargers win the Super Bowl this season?

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yup. :yes:

I just hope that we end up with a good crop of DB's this year so that we aren't drafting yet another in the draft.

AFM is what we need.