1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who the F--- is Vaughn Martin ???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Apr 26, 2009.

1. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    WTF... is he gonna be Jamal Williams 2.0?

Western Ontario?

Do they play American football up there?

What's the skinny on this guy?

2. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    :icon_shrug::icon_huh::icon_huh:

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Someone check the security tapes. I bet Bobby Bethard broke into the facility and switched our draft board around.:icon_rofl:

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
  6. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    i dont think this chargers scout likes him to much

7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    He did visit both Cleveland & Indy as well as us before the draft, so apparently other GMs seem to think he may be a player as well.

I like this pick, aloong with the Vasquez selection. We need beef & attitude on both lines, and these guys should help with that. :yes:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Think Antonio Gates - looking for a super star in a place no one else does. i think he can be something very good with his ability

9. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    great point ant

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    You see guys, YOU may not have heard of him, but when you have scouts and GM's looking at guys for YEARS and pouring over tapes, pro-days, scouting games, they can see things we don't or don't have access to. Who knows if somebody is going to be a stud or not until they play or even for a few seasons. This guy could be an absolute stud, we don't know. I mean, there's been guys drafted in the late rounds who turn out to be Pro-Bowlers. Remember a guy named Michael Turner was picked in the 4th round and this one 2nd string QB named Tom Brady was selected in the 6th. 2 pretty good players I would say......

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'll just wait for TC and let the chips lie where they fall. None of us know what's going to happen and who will make the team or be a surprise cut. I just want a Lombardi and I don't care how we get it at this point, cheat like hell, I wont say a word.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Aw whadda they know :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I just want to note between Vasquez, Green and Martin we have half a ton of new beef added to the team. And also every single person drafted (minus maybe the CB) is defined as 'nasty' and 'tough'. Been *****footing around way too much on the DL, in the LB corps and on the right side. We've constantly heard this is a finese team and we got run over by the Steelers, teh patriots and others. This is a shot of pure 'pissed-off-ness' directly to the trenches

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Beautifully said. I am known on this board for bashing AJ, but I won't for this draft. In fact I think this could end up being one of his best ever when the dust settles. We are getting some hard hitting, sledge hammer wielding, non-nonsense brothas out of this draft in the aggressive mold of Merriman and Dielman.

15. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Exactly. We got tough, physical players. We reached a little early, but also got some good value later. The reach factor won't mean crap if the players pan out.

16. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Mark henry's brother duhh
    [​IMG]

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, martin has great talent. But he needs the work like gates did. The chargers are gonna have to take time to get him adjusted to the nfl. Patience in developing him.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, This draft looks like beside trying to improve some positions was to make the team tougher. The guys they got are some tough guys. And we need them. WE needed to get tougher. Thats a given.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Vaughn Martin is one mean, nasty sob on the field from what I have read. He will learn behind JMal.

Read he was supposed to go to MSU(Mich St), but some transcript fu made him ineligible. Must not have been the grades as he got a 38 on the Wonderlic.

I liked all AJ's picks. He filled needs and added tough sobs at almost every pick. :tup:

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah it was due to some weird Canadian high school credits that weren't transferable to MSU. But the dude is smart, nasty and seems to love to play football. Obviously, having only played Canadian ball he might take some time to develop. But one site I looked at said he did 44 reps at 225. That's insane. According to Martin, the coaches told him they are going to start him off at RDE with the idea that he will be moved to NT in the future.

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I read that he blew scouts away at Michigan's pro day, and ended up being drafted before any Michigan players.

22. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    That is true.

From what I recall, the Colts were interested in him as well. If we hadn't taken him, I think they may have as well.

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    they grabbed terrance taylor the dt from michigan right after we grabbed Martin, so maybe its not such a bad pick up

24. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    HAHAHAHA

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    If he can hold the point on the run and collapse the pocket on passing downs, then he is just what is needed. Looking at his weaknesses, all that can be coached up.

From NFL Draft Countdown: Vaughn Martin

Strengths:
    Excellent size...Long arms...Good athleticism...Quick with a burst...Is strong and powerful...Stout at the point...Moves well in short areas...A good motor..Tough...Plays through pain..Hard worker...Major upside.

Weaknesses:
    Inexperienced and extremely raw...Needs to improve his hand use and technique...Inconsistent leverage...Doesn't take proper angles...Not a great pass rusher and repertoire is limited...A low level of competition.

Notes:
    Born in Jamaica and raised in Canada...Committed to Michigan State out of high school but did not qualify academically and spent a year at the Milford Academy prep school...Enrolled at Western Ontario where he played both defensive tackle as well as defensive end and even saw some action at fullback...Also played for the Forest City Thunderbirds in the Central Ontario Football League before college...Was a member of the Team Canada squad that played in the 2006 NFL Global Junior Championship...Certainly possesses some rare physical tools but will likely be a long-term project..Very intriguing developmental prospect.

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

Reading ESPN's report on Luis Vazquez and Tyronne Green, I'm shocked both of them were not taken higher.

27. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    The Panthers were also interested in him as well. Us, the Colts, and Panthers all went up to Canada for his Pro Day, and all three teams flew him into the states for a visit.

Safe to say that if we didn't take him, one of these teams would have.