1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who Will Be Our Coach Next year?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BIll Trollberg, Dec 9, 2011.

?

Who Should the Next Chargers Coach Be?

1. Norv Turner

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Bill Cowher

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Rob Ryan

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. John Gruden

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Peyton Manning(if he retires)

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Mike Singaltary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Vic Fangio

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. Andy Reid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jack Del Rio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Wade Phillips

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    I have to think that Dean is smart enough to know that no matter how much money he has to eat to fire Norv, he will make WAY more money if he gets a new stadium approved. With an election in 2012 to look at, how can he ignore the discontent with Turner among the fan base (voters)? I have to think if Dean is thinking about that election, he WILL fire Turner and will bring in a big splashy name like Gruden or Cowher. Those are guys the casual fans (voters) will get excited about.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I'm not sure that type of thing is going to sway the vote.
    Stadium proponents need to show the fence-sitters the economic benefits.
    Anyway who knows who Gruden/Cowher is, is already likely voting for a new stadium.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Bribe the Corgi........ #imjustsaying ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    If you can train Fred to stuff ballot boxes, why not?

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    I was referring to the "first dog" of California, Sutter Brown. Surely, he must have some pull with the governor. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    My California famous dog recognition skeels are lacking...

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
  8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Wouldn't I have to join Facebook to do that though? :eek:

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    So you don't think Philip Rivers' opinions on the head coach and the head coach's contributions to the team have any validity?

'Cause I'm pretty sure he knows a hell of a lot more about what Norv Turner does and doesn't do and who he is as a leader than we do.

But what does he know right? He's just our franchise QB....

That said, slight correction... if we win out we don't need the Donkey's to lose to make the playoffs at all. We need Cincy and the Jets to go 1-1, which isn't ideal, but it's not quite the dire portrait that you paint sir. Chin up! There is hope - don't be scared to embrace it ;) it doesn't bite~

Am I happy that this team didn't live up to our expectations? Nope, so please stop implying that that is the case.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I believe its the players duty to back up the coach in public, and vice versa. Rivers is as classy as any player in the league, I'd be shocked beyond belief if he had said anything different. I'd also bet my left nut he's in the minority, after all Norv was a college QB and is an offensive minded guy, I doubt the defensive players have the same affection for him.

BTW the Jets need to lose out, we lost to them earlier this year so we'd lose the tiebreaker at 9-7 and they'd get the 6 seed. The Bengals can go 1-1 only if they lose to Baltimore in week 17 who will likely be playing for nothing.

12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Fred could join. He'd have some pull with Sutter.

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    If you were an owner, what would you think of the players' opinions of a coach, ie, to what degree would you let their opinions affect your decision making?

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Now you're thinking outside the box. ;)

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    I guess it would depend on your opinion of the player...... #imjustsaying ;)

16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    on your opinion of that player's ability to run a franchise, that is make objective decisions regarding management that are going to result in success for your team.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Precisely, it's either that, or take advice from A.G. and John. ;)

18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Precisely why the Spanos Clan should just sell the Chargers (to someone who will keep them in SD with one objective:winning ;))

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    You'll get no argument from me on that one.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Alright, so let's back up a step. Are you saying that if you were Dean, and AG and John were your kids, you'd take Rivers' advice over theirs? Or would you even need any advice from current staff? Fire AJ and get input from the new GM ;)

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    If I was Dean, I'd be the kind of guy who'd allow the HC and GM to not be on speaking terms. I'd be too afraid of an ugly confrontation with my surly GM, and would allow things to fester between the two. That coach would then let most of his quality staff go, out of spite, from not getting a decent contract extension. Then he would flaunt my direct orders not to hire anymore family members (though I had caved earlier and let him hire his son as the QB coach). By the time things got to this toxic stage, all the other teams had long ago made their HC hirings, leaving me as the last guy to the party. Feeling I had no choice, I would fire the HC, even though he had achieved a 14-2 record before disappointing in the playoffs. I don't plan for future success, I merely react to the turmoil of my front office. I'm really too busy fundraising for my candidate to be bothered with all this football nonsense. I look forward to 2014, when you two sons can take all this headache off my hands....... the links are calling me.

22. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Dean!!!!!!

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hey - you sound familiar. Did we meet at a Rick Perry fundraiser? :giggle:

24. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Actually... Head-to-head tiebreaker doesn't count if there's 3 teams tied, unless they've all played each other, which we haven't. So if Cincy and Jets go 1-1, we win out and we're all 9-7 - we win the tiebreaker.

If he didn't believe in him all he would have to do would be to keep quiet. Hope you'e not too terribly attached to that left nut... I've also heard players on both sides of the ball defend him, without provocation and entirely of their own accord. Both in articles and on live radio, this season and in the past.

You assume that because he doesn't inspire you, the fan, that he has no pull or no leadership within the locker room. You assume that because individual players admittedly make their own mistakes on the field that Norv did not prepare them during the week. While there is clear evidence to the contrary coming straight from the mouths of players. Teams which do not respect their head coach, in times of struggle will quit - i.e. the Dallas Cowboys last season under Wade Phillips. Even when everything looks horrible for the Chargers, they have yet to throw in the towel.

Do I think Norv is perfect and amazing and wonderful? No. But I do think he's never been given a fair shake by the fanbase ever. Since day 1 his margin for error has been zero at best. I also think that a player's opinion of their coach carries more weight than a fan's - as they actually know what goes on inside Chargers Park, not what they assume goes on. I'm pretty sure Dean Spanos feels the same way and ultimately, it's in his hands.

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    I have seen far too many players NOT back their coach, and too many publicly question their coach to buy the tripe that players HAVE to back their coach.

Norv is not perfect, but he is an easy target, one that the B4Ls of the world latch on to and ignore the many other factors. Coaches Coach, players play. Neither will be perfect. Billecheck, Seifurt ect have never been perfect.

26. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,684
    If I was an owner, I would absolutely take into consideration what my franchise QB thought of a coach. Depending on what they had to say and what I knew to be true would determine how much sway said player(s) opinions had. It's also a business, so yes, fan approval has some sway as well but I wouldn't let an angry mob who doesn't have all the inside information bully me into firing someone in a hurry. Based on the deterioration of the talent level, I'd seriously consider replacing my GM first, before making a coaching change. Either way, it would be done at the end of the season with a plan and specific replacements in mind.

As a fan, considering how much I personally respect Philip Rivers (yeah I joke about "loving" him but seriously I simply admire him for being a good man and a great athlete) and considering he actually knows what the hell goes on behind closed doors at Chargers Park, I take his opinions far more seriously than others.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    1. On what tiebreaker? Conference record?

2. How are you supposed to hear players that keep quiet? LOL thats the point! Nobody ever throws their current HC under the bus so there is nothing to hear! And it doesn't exactly help when its time to talk contract extension if the coach doesn't end up getting fired.

But how about the players that have left like Tomlinson and Sproles? Were they very complimentary of Norv? HELL NO! They went on about "lack of committment to the running game" and "we never worked this hard in San Diego"....that kinda stuff reflects directly on Norv even if they don't say his name.

Just wait until he is fired Syd, players will be more willing to speak without fear of retribution from the front office.

28. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Come on guys you don't want to be a team that has already clinched a playoff spot heading into week 15? the talent this team has they should have..

I'm so sick of relying on other teams to get us into the playoffs..

• Like Like x 1
  29. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,684
    It was broken down on twitter over the past few days by a few different folks (which is where I got my info+messing with the ESPN Playoff Machine) but the below I just pulled from: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
    TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
    1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss
    When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Plenty of players speak out against their coaches -and/or question them. Especially on teams where there are actual lockeroom issues. In this day and age of technology and "insiders", internal struggles are not often kept completely secret. Philip isn't the type of guy to badmouth or saying something he doesn't genuinely mean, so yes it would speak volumes if he didn't stand up for his coach when the majority of the fanbase is calling for his head. Especially in those situations where he is directly asked about it.

LT had an agenda and clearly the "lack of commitment to the running game" was more about his own bruised ego and lack of production than Norv's play calling. The Oline wasn't exactly making holes for him either but when they did he was falling down at the drop of a hat. I love the man but he has continued to do jack and **** since he left San Diego, meanwhile, our current RB tandem has been solid when our Oline and #24 is healthy (HoF worthy years excluded of course-I'm talking post 2007 injury LT)

Sproles was misquoted and vehemently denied any implication that the team didn't "work hard" after that was printed. He was very angry and upset about the whole thing. You can choose to ignore that but it doesn't make the misconception true.

If after he is fired, players come out and start complaining, I will eat crow. Until then or until we hear anything to the contrary I don't buy into the drama you're trying to stir.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    With out luck, it'll come down to #12. Coin toss......... ;)