1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who Will Be Our Coach Next year?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BIll Trollberg, Dec 9, 2011.

?

Who Should the Next Chargers Coach Be?

1. Norv Turner

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Bill Cowher

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Rob Ryan

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. John Gruden

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Peyton Manning(if he retires)

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Mike Singaltary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Vic Fangio

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. Andy Reid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jack Del Rio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Wade Phillips

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    “He (Norv) always had us ready. He always had us ready to go. That’s the
    kind of coach he is. He puts the hours in, he always has us ready to go.”

Sproles. August 26, 2011, 2:31 pm On 1090 AM

Way to correct the record Syd. Mat's just a little testy since the Chargers
    didn't get pounded by the Ravens the way he emphatically insisted they would.
    (and re. the quote, sometimes ya gots to bend the truth a bit to be anti-Charger)

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    1. Rivers comments are completely irrelevant. The man works side by side with Norv every single day, watching film, discussing game plans and personell etc... Wether he is genuine or he's just saying it to keep life simple, it doesnt matter so lets move on.

2. LT was slowing down, his comments may have been made out of bitterness but I...don't...care. The fact is he was right, Norv has a knack for abandoning the running game or any attempt at even faking a balanced offense when we fall behind by more than 7 points. Even if its only the 2nd quarter, he will proceed to put all the pressure on Rivers to win the game for us. This year.....go figure.....Rivers had a cold streak, and of course we paid for it with a 6 game losing streak that will probably end up costing us the playoffs for the 2nd strait year.

3. Sproles, I did not know he ever denied the implication, but that doesn't mean he didn't actually say it.

Now I come to think of it Norv probably is pretty popular with the players, he doesn't seem like the kinda guy who stresses details or cracks the whip in practice. Something that would probably result in lots of pre-snap penalties, players out of position, poor conditioning (leading to lots injuries), lack of intensity, starting games poorly until desperation kicks in etc..........sound like a team you know?;)

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    So how many practices have you been to Matti?

How is Rivers' comments irrelevant? So are you saying that the person who would have first hand knowledge does not know as much as you who have no contact or first hand knowledge?

You are arguing your point based on wild assumption. You are ignoring facts to argue your point of view as if you have first hand knowledge. Do you have such knowledge?

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    First hand or 100th hand it doesn't matter, Philip Rivers (genuine or not) has no option but to speak well of Norv. End of story! Thats all you need to know! Its an automatic response and a non-topic.

Norv has been a head coach for 13 seasons everything there is to say about the guy has been said. All the issues he had with the Redskins that led to his firing we have experienced in the last 5 years. Slow starts in almost every game, a dissapearing running game, LOTS of injuries, HORRIBLY timed penalties (like illegal formation, and false starts) with the game on the line......in short everything you'd come to expect from a team that lacks focus, motivation, and discipline. Which of course has always been the line on Norv Turner, its not like I'm the first one to bring it up.

BTW where were you and Sydalish 3 weeks ago when it was consensus that Norv was a dead man walking? Feeling a little braver for some reason?

5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I get what you're saying, and I'd take it as a weak plus for the coach that my franchise QB supported him. However the QB isn't going to be objective on this. He's been with the coach for hours each day for years.

Granted, Johnny Parkinglot wearing his "Norv sucks" tshirt is going to get less weight in the decision, but the franchise QB isn't my go-to guy either.

You make a good point about the GM--I'd fire him first too. But the new GM might want a new coach. And "you gotta keep Norv" is a poor starting point when negotiating with any candidate GMs.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Good to know that logic and knowledge mean nothing to you. If there is nothing more I need to know from you then you can stop posting at any time and we will all be richer for it.

Ahhh, so in the world according to Matilack penalties are the Coaches fault... Injuries as well it seems. So you crow about this Ryan Mathews and argue with everyone about draft picks because you were infatuated with some highlight reels and AJ actually got your man crush, but now you say the running game behind your man crush is disappearing even though we have ran a balance offense. So I guess in the world according to Matilack the Coach is responsible for all things and the players nothing... You should stick to your madden games and highlight reels with that mentality, these forums are too deep for you.

The only ones we know are not motivated by Norv are the fans. You speculate about the players while ignoring what they have to say. Do we have to tell you how foolish that is?

We were here. No one has said that Norv is perfect. It is just folks like you who want to make up crap about Norv and who should be listened to and who should be ignored. There is enough to be frustrated about with Norv without making crap up and ignoring facts.

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    That's my take as well (I know, Armageddon). ;)

There plenty of legitimate things to criticize, Norv, AJ, Rivers, etc., about this year. The problem I have, is with people who have an overwhelming hate for a coach or player. When it's driven by hate, logic and facts are abandoned. Endless ranting about how someone can do nothing right is stupid, pointless, and a bore to read.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Again, playing pretend owner here...

I wouldn't go with just my QB's thoughts, not by any means. But his thoughts would mean something, especially if said QB is someone I respect. I don't think a QB is automatically incapable of being objective and because he spends more time with this coach than any other player on the team I think there is plenty of valuable insight there. Whether or not I take his input as he intended it or not is another thing entirely.

I don't think keeping the existing coach would be a requirement at all. But before I just say "Ok sure!" to any new coach the new GM wants to bring in, I'd have to evaluate and then would make a decision based on all the info. If the new GM says "I wanna bring in Josh McDaniels" I'm not going to just say a-ok blindly.

Now, Spanos hasn't always handled things well in the past. I personally think he gave AJ too much free reign and should have smacked both he and Marty upside their heads when things started getting strained. Maybe he did and it didn't work? I don't know, I just know I wouldn't put up with that kind of behavior from children, let alone adults I pay multi-million dollar salaries to.

Just to give you an idea of my "pretend owner" perspective, in my day-to-day life I'm an operations manager. I joke that I'm my boss' bitch, which to some extent is true, she is the president and founder of the company after all. But really, I manage and evaluate every employee, including my boss, as well as our clients based on a variety of performance metrics. When I'm doing a quarterly review with an employee, sometimes it's not just their opinion or their specific answer to a question that tells me what I need to know but body language, what they don't say and all the other crippity-crap we discuss. Put together with the information I get from other employees and our stat reports it's often pretty clear when we need to make a change and what solutions might work. I'm sure the fact that I geuninlely like Norv and Philip has some impact as well, as I would image it would for Spanos.

JFC... I need to stop writing this is a novel :oops:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732

Hey Syd...what's the ISBN on this? (978-0140444179 ?)
    I'm kinda ADD, so I may need to wait for the movie version to come out.

Naw, in all seriousness, you're dead on. Rivers knows 1000x what we do, re. the kind of
    coach Norv is. The only reason to pretend that that isn't important, is because what
    Rivers say disproves arm-chair bloviating by those much, much, much, much less knowledgable.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    This response makes no sense. Traditional logic says Philip Rivers comments are expected so...yeah.

First of all, very classy with the baiting.....

Too many penalties are a sign of lack of discipline. Go watch a Patriot game and tell me how often you see a delay of game, false start, holding, or worse illegal formation. Througout the first 12 weeks of this season we were PLAUGED by stupid penalties, and that reflects on Norv. How many times has a Bill Bellichick team jumped offsides during a game winning FG, or a holding penalty that kills a 2 minute drive? Bellichick is famous for his attention to details in practice, and it reflects on game day!

Injuries, obviously most injuries are bad luck, but the sheer quantity the last 3 years has to get you wondering about the players conditioning. Most are bad luck, but seriously....THREE STRAIT YEARS of this, its getting rediculous.

Okay maybe motivation isn't the problem..........maybe its plain and simple incompetence. In 2008 we were 4-8, in 2010 we were 2-5, this year we hit 4-7 before turning it on. With the exception of 2009 we have always struggled to play a complete season. Hell on a game to game basis we seem to always inherit first half deficits and never actually turn it on until desperation hits in the 4th quarter.

Were not such an untalanted team that we have to start every season in a hole. So if its not his inability to motivate, maybe its just stupidity....go ahead and pick a reason, I don't care.

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    On one hand you say that Philip's comments are irrelevant because you assume he is a puppet for the Chargers organization but then say LT's comments are valid, despite the fact that he clearly had an emotional/ego driven agenda to put blame on the team/coaches after his departure. That's the most illogical load of crap I've heard in a long time. You don't want to discuss anything, you just want to be right and hate on Norv Turner with other likeminded people.

I've been here all along Mat. I'm not going to be all weepy if Norv is fired, I'm still mad at him for the Denver game and I've said as much both on the forums and on the podcast. It's not about bravery - it's about what's actually going on right now. Norv was a dead man walking 3 weeks ago, but things have changed since then and I don't believe his job is in the same kind of jeopardy. That may change again this weekend or next, depending on how the team performs.

The following are the things I have always said, I don't need to be feeling brave to stand behind any of it:
    • I don't think Norv has been given a fair chance and that I think it's stupid and mindless to credit him only for our failures and none of our successes.
    • I think the GM should be held accountible for the talent level he has put together and how much it has deteriorated in the past few seasons.
    • I think that players should be held more accountible for their performance by the fanbase because on any given Sunday, they are the ones actually going out there and playing the game.
    • I think it's lame and cowardly to root against your team because you're so blinded by your disdain for the Coach.
    • I think that people inside an organization know a hell of a lot more about the team than anyone on the outside looking in.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Read it again, it makes sense unless your only drive is to make up things and act like you are in the know on what goes on in the locker room and what player thinks what. Are you in the know?
    Sorry you feel that way. How is that baiting, other than not agreeing with your opinion and not buying into your hate? That is the problem correct? That I dont swallow the tripe you post and hang on every word you have to type?
    Does it now? It does not mean that the crowd is creating noise, or a player is trying to get a jump and mistimes it? Just a lack of Dicipline in Matilack world? See this is why I will never look at your posts and think that you are someone I need to read and pay attention to. There are stupid penalties, and there are penalties that simply happen. Two different things. For you to lump them together in a statement as you have does not tell me that you really know what is going on in the game. If that is more baiting to you, sorry, but it is what it is.
    Patriots have penalties every game. Every one. So what is your point? Just in the game against Denver they got called for covering their TE on the LOS... I believe most people would call that an illegal formation.
    Again, when does it reflect on the players? How many of those did you see Norv making? I mean I know you hate Norv for throwing the interceptions and jumping off side, but you lack the ability to hold the players as accountable as you want Norv to be. Why is that? Is it simply because it does not support your position of hate?
    Several. It is part of the game...
    Cool. I am sure you will make a proper Pats fan, shall I provide you the URL? I mean you quit on the Chargers a long time ago and even brag about it, so by the sounds of this you have found a new team, and I wish you the best.
    So break that down for me. Is it that you feel the players are not lifting weights, not hitting the ice tub, weak in the knees. How do injuries implicate the Head Coach? Do you assume that Norv calls for Harswick to hit Dielman in the head real hard because Dielman didnt verbally support the coach like everyone is required to do?

Matt, I am sorry but when you look at this team and say that they are incompetent, then I have heard all I have to in order to understand that your angst and attitude have blinded you. But hey, its the same every year, so props on your consistency.
    No? We are not untalented... But apparently all other teams are correct? Because the term 'any given Sunday' does not apply to the Chargers in Mattilack world, correct?

To illustrate for you, Green Bay and their Coach must be incompetent because they lost to KC, right?

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774

This was a very revealing post, it explains to me why we never agree on anything so I'm not going to waste my time answering all of your questions. I'm just going round off this entire conversation off by saying it is 100% clear that you never played a snap of organized football, and that you don't understand some of the most basic concepts of the game. Serioulsly, 1 year of just high school football and I guarantee you never write that post.

You Concudan are a fan, you cheer blindly with your heart, the game is nothing more than 22 men running into eachother every 30 seconds to you. Sydalish is the same way sometimes, as are most of the people on this board. I wish I saw the game that way I'd probably enjoy watching it more.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    This is not at all what I said. Rivers, based on pure common sense, HAS TO answer the question the way he did. If I were in his position I swear I'd have said the same thing. And given that fact I don't see that its even a topic worth discussing, much less using as an argument to back up Norv. Its media fodder.

It depends on how you see it. I saw LT as the guy who had nothing left to lose so he just let his feelings fly publically, and I personally think thats when people are their most honest. Just my opinion.

Again this is a philosophy thing, I don't think 3 good games overshadows 12 weeks of dog ****. Norv scares me because he does just good enough every year to keep his job, but we all kinda know that after 13 years he's not going to magically get better. We're all just hoping this team hits a hot streak at the right time.

Good for you. But I guess I don't understand your point about not needing to feel brave to say it. Its not like you can be held accountable by the Charger front office or the NFL for any of your opinions....your a fan, not a player.

BTW I never rooted against us, that would be impossible for me. I said I would be perfectly fine with missing the playoffs if it got Norv fired, because wether we go forwards or backwards at least we'll be out of this rut if mediocrity. And if Jeff Fisher is in our future I can only see us moving forward.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Jeff Fisher sucks........ #imjustsaying ;)

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Again your ignorance of the facts is shown.

How many years and at what level did you play?

17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Rivers is going to provide valuable insight, but like I said, you'd have to take it with a grain of salt.
    Let's say you're the operations manager of a software company. It'd be like you going to the best programmer to get their opinion on their boss. Certainly a valuable opinion. But not necessarily an opinion you'll go with in the end.

Especially when your customers are buying less and less of your product.

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Why is there NEVER an "other" on these polls?!

Chuck Pagano - hc
    brother John as DC and I know this would never happen but Norv as OC.

We would have a kick *** defense, it would keep continuity on both sides of the ball, and Norv could focus on what his does best: The offense

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,779
    It's starting to look a lot like Norvell.

20. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +297
    How about Chud? Think he can step up and take the reins?

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    What has he ever done?......... #imjustasking ;)

22. gb911

gb911 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I believe we have just as good a team now than we did then with the exception of a running back (s). Our defense is excellent, we have the best quarterback in the league and our receiving core is among the best big play guys. All we need is a couple more spots beefed up and heal our injuries. Our biggest problem is this team does not believe in the coach and he cannot motivate anymore, if he ever could. Our GM does not understand that if you win you will make more money. If we bring in Cowher in next season and we don't make the playoffs, well then I guess I was wrong. Just my opinion.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I see a huge difference in Line Backers and Defensive Line.

24. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    It's not better, nowhere near. We need at least 1 player on every single position on D. Rivers is nowehere near best QB in the league, he's great, but he doesn't compare to Brees, Brady or Rodgers.

Our depth isn't good enough, our o-line was better back then, Gates was in his prime, and our RBs consisted of prime LT, Michael Turner, Darren Sproles and Lorenzo Neal at FB.

14-2 team was the best we've ever had, and it had an elite pass rusher in Shawne Merriman who struck fear into opposing QBs. Our pass rush now is average at best, most weeks it is non-existant.

I do agree 100% that our team doesn't believe in the coach, regardless of whatever response they say to the press, and that he can't motivate the players. Today's absolute embarassment in a game of such magnitude clearly shows just that. He needs to be fire, no ifs or buts, it is what it is.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Team speed, especially on defense, is lacking...... they could cover the Ravens WRs with that zone stuff, but the Lions WRs tore them a new one.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Bingo!

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    LOL

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Its nice to hear, but there are warts with both. If we're gonna go with a veteran HC I'd still rather have Jeff Fisher. I know he doesn't have a ring, but lets face it Bill Cowher shouldn't have either. It took him forever and still it was EXTREMELY sketchy the way the Steelers won.

Fisher
    Gruden
    Cowher.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Whomever it is, the fanbase will be in an uproar at the announcement...... #imjustsaying ;)

30. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    As long as it isn't a "Who?" hiring we'll be fine.