1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who will be the odd man out?....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    With the arrival of Chris Chambers who do you think doesn't make it onto the team in 08 in the WR position?.

Right now we are carrying Chambers, Jackson, Davis, Floyd, and Osgood. (Naanee is defined as a TE right now)

Parker is on IR.

If we only carry 5 again next year who is the odd man out?, or do we carry 6 guys?. :icon_huh:

I am sorry to say it might be Malcom. Most of you know I am a huge fan of his, I just wish they would get him more involved, I'm sure he has alot to offer, give him a shot!. Malcom might not have the drops VJack has had for example, I reckon his hands are better. :tup:

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I remember all the raving about malcom pre season about how he put on muscle and how he was going to get more playing time and yet he's still seems glued to the bench.

Right now, I'd like to see Malcom on the field more than I would VJ. Malcom has better hands than VJ IMO.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Great question!

We will definitely be overflowing at WR next year. I'm very curious to see who we are going to keep. I mean it seems obvious that we'd keep Parker, VJ, Chambers, and Davis. As much as who's going to be on the team, I wonder who's going to get the playing time. If Chambers is the consensus number and Parker and VJ are two and three respectively. How is Buster Davis going to get any playing time if he's #4 on the depth chart? :icon_shrug:

I think the most likely candidates for odd man out are Floyd and Osgood. Unless one of these guys bottoms out Floyd is only going to see less playing time. Even if Osgood never takes an offensive snap for the rest of his Chargers career I hope he makes the roster for his special teams contributions. My guess is Floyd gets the axe.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    IMO, Buster Davis will be better than both Parker and Jackson.

VJ isn't showing me anything to make me believe he's going to become anything other than a big, mediocre WR. It's year 3 for him, he needs to start making more plays, and for Godsakes, START CATCHING THE BALL W/ HIS F'N HANDS!!!!!!!!!! Parker has already show us his best, he's not better than a #3 or #4.

I wanna see how CC works with Philip before I start cutting guys tho.

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I have a feeling in my gut that Parker has played his last down as a Charger...

6. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    If we let Malcolm Floyd go, we'll regret it later.

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Agreed. Especially if Davis starts developing into a stud.

8. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I say get rid of VJ

9. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That's not going to happen. IMO Osgood will be the odd man out.

10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Indeed. Jackson may not be a Pro-Bowler, but he is a solid #3.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Jackson will be out
    but that is only if he doesn't take advantage and show everybody something

Davis is a rookie, he's safe
    Osgood, if he survived this year, they're going to want to keep him as their ST gunner, even if he doesn't do jack at WR
    Parker has been too consistent and too valuable to cut him after one injured year

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    applaud from Leisure? :frightened:

I didn't add that Floyd serves as the big target in the red zone and a 'possession receiver'

Jackson flashes bright some times but then makes incredibly dumb rookie type mistakes. I like him but he's definitely trade bait unless he improves.

Next year could be one of the best WR corps in a long time

1: Chambers
    2: Parker
    3: Davis
    4: Floyd
    5: Osgood

13. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Hopefully there will be a Roster Update in Madden 08 and we have CC on our roster

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I think Parker is gone after this year.

We now have 2 other WR that are about his height and can pretty much do what he can do.

Buster Davis and Chambers are bigger in size and faster WR.

Chambers may prove to be our legit #1 WR and Davis will be the slot WR.

VJ is the #2.

Osgood won't get cut because he's too good on special teams, which Parker can't do.

Naanee needs to get reps so we can see what he can do. I don't think he'll be cut without given that chance.

If Parker is used as a possession WR, then that's something that Floyd can do just as well if given the chance.

6' 0" 180 lb Parker vs. 6' 5" 225 lb Floyd.

I'll take the bigger, stronger WR.

15. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Youre just saying that because you KNOW its your boy who is the odd man out

he is going to be making more than VJ/Davis/Floyd combined next year and offers zero potential

16. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    :icon_evil: heresy,... but by next year you are probably right... :icon_sad:

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Cutting Parker allows the combination of Chambers and Floyd to have almost zero sum cap effect compared to now.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It sure looks like parker has played his last down for the Bolt's. Parker is never going to get better than he is, thats not a knock because he is a NFL receiver.

AJ doesn't seem to wait and wait for a player to show up and play big time. I think the same thing could happen to Philip in 09 if he doesn't show improvement in a big way after this current move for Chambers.:bolt:

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Floyd over Jackson? Seriously? Based on what? Through 6 games this year, Jackson has 20 catches. In his career, Floyd has 25.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Word. No one makes the roster only as a ST player, except for long snappers, kickers and punters. I have no idea why Malcolm is not on the field more, all I know is that when he is, he seems to make plays. Osgood keeps drawing nothing but splinters when we have the ball. Parker will be gone only if there is something wrong with his foot that won't heal, and there is no indication of that. Hard to make a judgement on VJ without looking closely at game film. Receivers are off the TV screen too much, unless it's someone like Rice or TO or Harrison, although VJ gets props for his blocking at frequent intervals. I have to wonder if he gets assigned to do that more than most wide outs. CC will force defenses to loosen up. He will have my attention on the 28th as will VJ.

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Perhaps we should just wait and see how well Parker comes back after this Toe injury, before we start cutting guys from the roster.

22. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I think as CC get aclimated we well see defenses loosening up and then, hopefully, as VJ draws more single coverage, we can get a nice solid evaluation of him. So far, like most, I'm not impressed.