1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who will be the surprise playmaker this season?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, May 15, 2008.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    There were a couple last season.
    Cromartie obviously being the biggest!!!
    Weddle, Cooper, and Jackson certainly made their presence known too.

There's quite ALOT to choose from this season.
    If Parker is gone, Buster would be a safe bet.
    If Naanee gets enough playing time, I think he'll be huge!!
    Will Hester make a fast start to his expectations?
    Harris has been solid. Can he excel?
    How many times will Manumaleuna get the ball this season?
    Should Sproles be on the field more often (besides special teams?)
    Will Hart earn his money?
    If Parker is still with us, he'll have a huge opportunity to silence his critics!

Hell, it might even be Kaeding!!! Now that he's had his leg surgery, more is expected of him. If we have a couple games that were decided by a long field goal, it could be him!!

I'm going to have to think about this before I make a decision.
    Anyone else have a prediction?

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But that wouldn't really be a surprise, unless he becomes the best safety in the league. Then again, that would be too surprising either. We've seen what he's capable of.

Cromartie came out of no where last season. That was a surprise!!
    Same with Cooper. Jackson was a late bloomer but he certainly shined.

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm not gonna tell you. I don't want to spoil the surprise. :icon_wink:

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Jacob Hester is gonna pwn fools and anyone doubting him or questioning the pick will be eating **** and clamoring for a Hester jersey.

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    RAGING...

WATERS...

he looked fantastic at mini,... especially in the passing drills...

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I second that.

I will also submit Jyles Tucker. I think he ends up with 6-8 sacks this season and gets about 40% of the defensive snaps.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Cletis Gordan will have a have a breakout game this season.

You heard it here first.

8. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    For what team? :icon_shrug:

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    He'll make the team. That's a Thumper guarantee.

Please note that this guarantee is null and void in case of the unlikely event that I'm wrong.

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
  11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Totally agree with you here. Not only did he make the most of his limited time last season, with Coops out he's going to get some major playing time at the begining of the season.

Based on what he's produced he's going to be a prime player.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Thumper, you have to bring back that "perky" avatar chick man.....

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I thought he was inactive every game last year? :icon_huh:

14. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I am betting on Matt Wilhelm. I think he had a rough start last year, and after having a season under his belt will step it up and be twice the guy Donnie ever was.

:abq2::abq2::abq2::abq2:

15. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Just reading the names proposed in this thread is exciting enough - of all of them, the guy I HAVE to hope for is Jacob Hester. Weddle, Waters, Gordon and all the rest I already have a high level of confidence in, but can't wait to see what Hester has in a game situation at this level. He "could" be the steal of this draft, (and of similar value that Weddle proved to be in HIS rookie year). Come to think of it, the same could be said for Cason, although you kind of "expect" a 1st rounder to be good. ;)

Time will tell - but there is a great set of reasons to be excited about the young players on the Chargers this year. "Somebody" is going to step up and surprise all of us. :icon_toast:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes: :bolt:

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Buster Davis

Slot receiver's going to get alot more love this year

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Scott Chandler :icon_eek:

19. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Yes! Flash Gordon will play well next year.

However, my pick for surprise playmaker next season is big Brandon Mckinney. He's shown flashes of being a stout nose tackle, and I think that he puts it together this season. This would be absolutely huge, because it would allow Jamal to stay rested and healthy throughout the year. Also watch out for Clary, I think that he might be in for a great year as well.

20. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    P88f

21. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah Boy!!!

But even if it isn't a surprise to us more hardcore Bolt fans, I think he'll be that guy that "comes outta nowhere" to the media and the rest of the nation. He'll be in a bunch of highlights on ESPN, than the talking heads will get a lil' buzz, he'll get mentioned during primetime games, than the love will multiply. Eventually his rough-road story will win over fans and media alike. Than presto! He'll be so underrated he'll be overrated, hate will come, and he'll be the monster others either love or fear. Merriman part 2.

Or not.

22. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    With rivers still nursing an injury, WHITEHURST! will beat out Volek in the preseason and be so damm impressive that he will keep the job the entire season, lead us to the superbowl and then go to the pro bowl and win MVP there!

23. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I missed you post before, but you're correct. SDRon gets the credit. I've always liked Gordon, but what really got my psyched on him this season was a mainly a Kevin Acee video report that I saw online. That and some info I'd seen on the boards. I didn't remember reading your post Ron, but I may have and forgot. I just knew I read some good things about him this season.

The Acee video report struck me because drafting Cason apprntly lit a fire under Gordon's ***. Also, he's always been fast, but according to Acee, he really gets it now. He's not thinking on the field as much, but rather just reacting. He already knows where he needs to be.

IMO, Gordon will make the team as the #4 CB. He might even be the #3 early in the season until Cason gets going. Cason was drafted #1, so he will play. But injuries and even small nicks happen. Gordon should see some playing time. I think he's ready to make the next step and will do something with the opportunity.

I think Oliver will be in the mix, but probably see more action at Safety. Me thinks Steve Gregory is the odd man out.

24. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Instead of seconding sombody else's nomination, I'll make my own:

Paul Oliver

Nobody knows what to expect, unless they've seen him in practice, but the man is a "FOOTBALL PLAYER", and will surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I hope you're right, but I don't have a ton of faith in "Bust"er.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Didn't you hear the PA warn against the brown acid? :lol:

Flash Gordon will be a mild surprise if he emerges as a real star. I will not be surprised at Weddle if he becomes a monster. Matt Wilhelm will surprise me if he becomes a star rather than remaining just a VERY good linebacker. Waters will not surprise me if he emerges as a star player. I will be mildly surprised if Siler grabs a significant role this season beyond special team or as a frequent sub. Jyles Tucker is the guy on defense who has the biggest potential to really be a surprise next year to me. Oliver will surprise me if he emerges as a really prominent player on the defense. His apprenticeship will continue, but he is great depth. I will be surprised if Kassim Osgood makes the roster because Hester and Thomas should emerge on special teams and Kassim may have alienated AJ.

On offense Naanee will not surprise me if he comes up big. Davis will mildly surprise me if he does because I think Parker's edge in experience will give Buster one more year as a role player. Naanee is a bigger threat to supplant Parker. Hester will only mildly surprise me if he comes up big as a rookie. The guy looks like a player. Marcus Thomas will surprise me if he becomes a significant contributor outside of special teams. At this point Gates and Hardwick will surprise me if they're ready to play game one. This gives Scott Chandler a chance to surprise us early in the season. For me, on offense, the biggest surprise will be if Erik Robertson becomes the monster I suspect he is and takes the starting job from Goff. LJ will surprise me if he takes Clary's job. I think Clary will surprise us with his improvement.

Norv will surprise will all kind of fireworks.

27. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Corey Clark.

28. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Paul Oliver will take it to the house!