1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who will get cut to make room for rookies?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Apr 27, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    link to our roster as of now: http://www.chargers.com/team/roster.html

We have 65 players so 12 will have to be taken care of in order to meet the 53 person max.

These players are who I think will stay on the practice squad or get cut to make room for all our new players

Billy Latsko, probably Buster Davis, Brandon Hughes, Donald Strickland, James Holt, Dante Hughes, Derrick Jones, CJ Spillman, Marcus Mason, possibly Jyles Tucker, Alfonso Boone, and maybe Curtis Brinkley will either get cut or be practice squad

There will also be others leaving the roster to make way for our UDFA stars. Tell me who else you think wont make the roster...... or argue for a guy I put on my list

2. win-the-los=championships

win-the-los=championships BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    First time posting here. I look forward to discussing the Chargers with everyone here.

I may be in the minority, but I'm still expecting Buster Davis to become a contributing receiver in the offense. It would be nice to get 30-50 catches next season. I'd hate to see him released.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, so far, if you look at just those we drafted.

Ryan Mathews takes L.T.'s spot.

Cam Thomas takes Jamal Williams' spot.

Donald Butler takes Tim Dobbins' spot.

Darrell Stuckey takes Cro's roster spot (not his position, that's Cason's).

Jonathan Crompton takes Charlie Whitehurst's spot.

Dedrick Epps takes Brandon Manumaleuna's spot.

The key is the UDFA versus some of our backup players.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Look for 4-5 of the DL guys to be cut. We currently have 11 D-Linemen on the roster, and I seriously doubt we carry more than 6, maybe 7 max.

So who is gone?

Cesaire, Castillo, Boone, Garay, Scott, Jones, Thomas, Bingham, OG, Martin, Johnson.

Sad thing is, Thomas is the only NT. the rest are DE's

5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I think Butler not only took Dobbins roster spot, but I bet he will take Cooper's position spot down the stretch of the season. I think Butler and Siler will end up being our ILB starters

As for Cro, I think Vasher took his roster spot. Look for 1 or 2 of our safety's to get cut or demoted to make room for Stuckey

I don't think that that many will get cut, just demoted to the practice squad. The problem is, they are all pretty much the same skill-wise yet Norv and AJ really like the rotational thing. I think maybe 2-3 get demoted to practice squad, 1 will get cut, and the other 6 will be rotational.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Whoa easy there cheif. We gonna keep 6 Dline at least with starters and backups. Then plus 2 or 3 depending on the hybrid position player factor. We keep at a minimum 8 Dline guys.

I would like to see the guys on PS and last years UDFAs that managed to hang around get their usual AJ shot at a backup role and eventual breakout to starter.

I do like that most of the whos gonna stay ?s dont involve our starters or our draft picks.

Keep those holes a pluggin AJ!! :bolt:

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Garay and Ogemdi Nwagbuo at Nose Tackles, too.

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    It all depends on who performs in preseason of course but I would expect to see on the roster come season start..

Cesaire, Castillo, Boone, Garay, Thomas, Bingham, OG

Martin to the Practcie Squad for now.

I would love to see Martin beat out somebody for a roster spot!!

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Who would go to the practice squad? Jones is pretty much the only one of the roster that go to the practice squad, especially since a team can only have 8 players, and all those players have to pass through waivers. So who is going to the practice squad?

You think a bunch of 30 year old vets are going to the practice squad? I don't see Martin or OG going, nor do I see Martin passing through waivers. Castillo, TJ, and Thomas are safe. Bingham was viewed as a starter last year prior to his injury, so he is probably safe. That is 6 that IMO are safe.

That leaves Boone (34yo), Garay (30yo), Cesaire (30), Ian Scott (28).

So other than Jones, who is going to the Practice squad?

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What about Travis Johnson? You really think Martin will even pass through waivers to make it to the practice squad? You really think the career back up and 30 year old scrub, Garay will make the team? And Boone, really?

IMO, it will be Castillo, Bingham, Thomas, TJ, Martin, OG, and maybe Ian Scott make the team, but I think the first 6 are locks unless the bomb in training camp or get injured

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Both are barely 300 lbs. Just because they were shoved into the position, doesn't mean they were any good there. 300lbs is no where near big enough to be a solid NT (both are listed at 303 on ESPN.com and Chargers.com)

12. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    That is why we have Thomas. He will probably see playing time in the rotation first, but when he gets better he will take over and probably be a 1st and 2nd down lock on the field. I kind of like the rotation as it keeps players fresh and allows each player to have playing time (giving each player a chance to impress the coaches). If Thomas impresses while he is a part of the rotation, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the go to NT

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I will say tho I was impressed with how OG did being undersized. You gotta understand all that a good sized NT does for you is give you that every snap double coverage from the C and G. If we had the beef on either end side they could pull a double team on the G and T or T and TE depending on the Offense that is being presented. I can ezily see the NT being use more for gap control and less about penetration. More about hold the line and bounce the runner outside to our waiting OLBs.

The short for anyone who doesnt like to read alot of ranting, OG did pretty good for being plugged in from Hertz to holding his own on a line that was already falling apart and full of backups.

14. win-the-los=championships

win-the-los=championships BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    What about Vaughn Martin as a possible nose tackle? The guy has the size.

Either way, AJ probably will bring in another body to compete for nose.

15. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't think he will. He has OG, Martin, Scott, and the recently added Cam Thomas to compete for it. IMO Thomas seems the most promising, but he has yet to prove himself at an NFL level.

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    VM will stay at DE this year provided that our NT rotation holds up and/or Cam steps in as the primary NT before the season ends. If not then I can see VM gettin in the rotatoin again. Would be nice if we get a solid one guy at NT and do not even carry extra guys for rotation purposes.

17. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I hard Hank Baur say in an interview that the Chargers are very big on Garay...and as a NT.

Martin has the size to be great...is a nice project for Riveria.

I was surprised that he got signed again too! but I can see him being added to the squad for his experience together with Castilo bringing along all these young DL talent

18. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Practice Squad Eligibility
    According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We are putting a lot of pressure and responsibility on a single rookie. If we had 2 NT sized guys, even if they were both rookies, we would be in a much better position. By relying on a single NT to carry the load, is not a winning formula.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So that pretty much means that only Derrick Jones is PS eligible. So that eliminates one of the 11 guys on the roster now. How many of the remaining 10, and which of them make the year?

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    About time someone caught this. :tup:

Vets can not go to the PS. They are cut.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Which means of the 11 guys we have, 10 of which are DE's, only 1 is PS eligible.

23. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    they are not only DE's maybe not NT, but the Chargers will play a little more 4-3 so they can be 4-3 DT

24. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Man the offseason BLOWS

Anyone else say it?

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Man the offseason BLOWS

Anyone else say it?

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Our base D is still a 3-4, and even AJ himself said we are not transitioning to a 4-3.

27. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Strickland's not going anywhere. He was brought in for a reason and he was a good player on a great defense last year. His only issue is staying on the field consistently. The guys who are in danger are Oliver and Gregory because barring injury Strickland has one of their roster spots locked down.

28. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    boone=gone,scott=gone,bingham=gone,jones=gone,cesaire=gone

i see castillo,garay,thomas,martian,johnson, OG staying

29. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't think Garay will make it.. we'll see though. We have so much guys to cut

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Bingham was viewed as a starter last year prior to his injury. I'm not sure if they would release him unless he has a really bad camp