1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who will we draft? First Opinion

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    I think it will be a college player...

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    The real question is - does he need to sustain blocks in the NCAA? And the answer is - no :icon_mrgreen:

3. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    He better do it in his bowl or the Senior Bowl, or AJ won't draft him.

4. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    If the Chargers draft for need early these maybe your guys. A.J. Smith will draft the best athlete for sure but if two players are close then he will draft to fill the need position in the 2007 draft.

That said here is a mid season assessment of our need positions based on the roster today.

1) This club still needs a safety. In the Charger defense we don't run with the traditional role of strong safety and Free safety but instead rotate the deep backs so our draft choice must have cover skills and be able to support the run.

Kiel will be facing some rather serious legal issues and as a result may not have a future with the Chargers. Hart is to inconsistent in his play to be a every down player and Jue is to injury prone. Look for the Chargers to draft a safety on day one and if some youngster has a strong combine to go with a solid season he may be your 1st or 2nd round selection.

The candidates ( note not in any order)

1) Griffin, Michael Texas ball hawk with size and speed 6-1 205 4.48 he maybe better than his running mate Huff who is having a pretty good campaign with the Raider's has great hands and leaping ability takes great angles strong cover skills.

2) Zbikowski, Tom Notre Dame 5-11 214 4.48 a real smart kid and he can lay the lumber he also can return punts but speed is a concern. He is very strong in run support and has a nose for the ball.

3) Weddle, Eric Utah 5-11 202 4.52 very good athlete by all accounts MWC defensive player of the year has started since he was a freshman. Speed is a concern maybe better suited as a nickle back.

4) Landry, LaRon LSU 6-2 205 4.48 posses ideal size speed ratio and has been one of top performers at his position since being named a "ALL AMERICAN" as a freshman. His play however has not been consistent nor has he shown improvement. Some of it has to do with teams shying away from him. Post season and Senior Bowl will be very important for him if he is going to solidify his top position.

5) Wendling, John Wyoming 6-1 222 4.40 Super sized DB with brains . He could be a kid who jumps up the boards if he has a good post season showing his size and speed will be a real asset at the next level.

6) Nelson, Reggie Florida 6-0 195 4.45 He is a great athlete he is one of three finalist for the Jim Thorpe award joining Leon Hall and Aaron Ross in the running for the award given to the nations best defense back.

7) Bennett, Fred South Carolina 2 6-2 190 4.45 Bennett has the size and the cover skills to play in the N.F.L. his twitch motors may not be fast enough to be a top CB but if he is willing to move and work hard he could have a huge career as a safety in the N.F.L. He has worked against some pretty good wr at SC and in the SEC keep a eye on him.

8) Bowman, Zackary Nebraska 1 6-2 190 4.45 is another CB who may move to safety. He first must decide if he is going to enter the draft class. He is coming of a knee injury that robbed him of playing time for this past season. He previously was rated the second best DB in junior college by Rival.com

You can bet Donnie Edwards will not be wearing a Charger uniform next season and the Jury is out on Steve Foley returning along with Randell Godfrey. Matt Wielhem may also be leaving so with all of those players creating all of that doubt and realizing that LB is the bread and butter for a 3-4 here are some players to keep a eye on.

1) Willis, Patrick Mississippi 6-2 232 4.60 will be tops on all of the internet charts but word is he isn't strong in pass coverage and may only be a two down back as a result I don't see S.D. taking him in round 1 even if he were on the board. Great stats but he missed a game with a broken finger.
    Chargers play with two broken hands.

2) Harris, David Michigan 6-2 242 4.75 he doesn't have the speed that you want but he plays much faster on the field. He is always around the ball and makes plays.

3) Davis, Buster Florida State 5-10 242 4.76 to short to slow based on the numbers but he is a talent and if he falls say to the 3rd round .

4) Posluszny, Paul Penn State 1 6-2 230 4.58 he has the numbers and is pretty good in pass coverage and he wraps up well but he tore some ligaments in both knees which hurt his game this season. He needs work on shedding blockers at the point of attack. He made the deans list and won the Butkus award last year.

5) Woodley, LaMarr Michigan 6-1 270 4.68 You will find Woodley listed as a DE on most draft sites that said I see him as a football player deluxe. He lacks the size most N.F.L. teams want in a DE for a 4-3 or 3-4 but he sure has the size to play OLB or ILB and with that size and speed he fits as a Bolt.
    If he is on the board I think his is a lock. He won the Big Ten Defensive Player of the year award as well as Defensive Lineman of the year award this past season. He rang up 11 sacks 29 stops 15.5 for a loss.He has improved his game over last year a great deal.

6) Connor, Dan Penn State 6-3 228 4.58 has been over shadowed by his running mate Posluszny but Dan has game and lots of it. In the action I saw he was the better LB with over 100 tackles and 5 sacks this season and with the speed to drop into coverage and run side line to side line he will be a big time player in the N.F.L.

7) Brinkley, Jasper South Carolina 6-2 258 4.64 gets a lot of press due to his speed size numbers but he is raw and gets lost in the wash often. He records a lot of tackles unfortunately a lot of them are down field . He needs more PT and will be drafted due to potential. I sure would not use a early pick on him.

5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    I actually really like this guy as #2 on the list behind Patrick Willis! He is undersized but plays with Heart and is a great blitzing LB! FSU always produces great LB's Part of that Mickey Andrews scheme!

6. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    I actually really like this guy as #2 on the list behind Patrick Willis! He is undersized but plays with Heart and is a great blitzing LB! FSU always produces great LB's Part of that Mickey Andrews scheme!

7. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    4)
    Although he has been inconsistent he still has great field awareness, is a complete ball hawk, and is not afraid to lay the wood!

6)
    Hate Florida but love this kid, talk about a ball hawk, there is a reason why he is a finalist for the Thorpe award!

3)
    He is undersized but plays with Heart and is a great blitzing LB! FSU always produces great LB's Part of that Mickey Andrews scheme!

8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Well hey Lorenzo still has some juice in him left, Leonard would be used as a TE/FB/WR/RB in our screwed up offensive scheme where everyone can play everywhere - for one year, learning behind Lorenzo. Believe me he is very strong and a VERY coachable kid... there is nothing he cannot do on football field, regardless if he doesn't do certain things now. No way I would spend a 1st on him with the depth of this draft but a late 2nd... yes. He can fill in Turner's void if necessary while getting used to lead blocking in the NFL. Let's face it - there are no Lorenzo Neals in the college system right now... asking for a FB prospect who can block as well as he does on a consistent basis is asking for a little too much.

9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    BTW RMancil I completely disagree with Patrick Willis and I don't know why you think he is a wussy... the dude played the majority of last season with a gigantic cast on his forearm and hand and plays through pain. He is a 1st round prospect hands down and the top pure linebacker in the nation. He is decent in coverage and has the athleticism to get better. Rather have 3rd and 9 situations with less strength up the middle in coverage than 3rd and 5 with more strength up the middle in coverge because of Donnie Edwards getting steamrolled and giving up 4 extra yards of forward progress.... but even this isn't truly the case. Willis is an amazing linebacker he could play at a borderline all-pro level right now. The rest of the Ole Miss defense is pathetic and he has no protection up the middle.

10. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    BTW he is a class act as well. Extremely high character guy who wants to win and he is a pro's pro. Approaches things like Keenan McCardell. I say I want the bolts to get him all the time but the reality is that he will likely be taken #15-20 overall.

11. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm not asking for that, I'm asking for the "want to" .... the desire to stick his head in there and make an attempt. Honest, I wasn't impressed at all with his blocking, as he looked like he was more interested in not getting hurt than moving a defender.

Just get me some Senior Bowl practice vids of him in blocking drills. If he shows willingness to learn, then I'm all for him ..... the round I'm not yet sure on, but probably a 2nd.

I'm still on the trade Turner bandwagon for at least a 2nd, and I wouldn't mind converting that into Leonard - IF he shows a willingness to learn how to block.

12. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    We will be getting much more than a 2nd for Turner :icon_mrgreen: :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana:

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    1. Levi Jones
    2. Laron Landry
    3. Justin Blaylock
    4. The Shark

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Why Levi Jones? Justin Blalock makes sense if AJ were to want a utility o-lineman at backup who can produce at a starter's level. At least you would be getting real depth with Blalock. Jones would be behind our all-world left tackle mcneill and a locked up RT Shane Olivea. I can guarantee with the way our offense is producing there will be no starting lineup changes at o-line next year unless there is an injury. I am not a Landry fan I will leave the Landry nut-suckage to SDR while I will keep to P Willy :lol: Landry will never be an elite player in the NFL in my opinion. He'll be good but never elite, and will not warrant his draft spot. I still think Sidney Rice will fall and would be a great addition. Former basketball player, good natural athleticism and a really polished game. He also has a fire burning inside. Are we witnessing the second coming of Derek Hagan?!??! (PS: I still stand by my statement that Derek Hagan will finish his NFL career as a 10,000 yard receiver).

15. underoath

underoath BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    i agree...i dont think Levi Jones is that great of a tackle now in college, so what is he going to be in the pros? blalock would be sweet, he reminds me so much of a guy I liked last year - Charles Spencer out of Pitt...except Blalock is better. i would support drafting a guy who can play both inside and outside and thats what blalock can do.

i think Landry will be a good player but he is not my most wanted Safety...thats Gattis.

16. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    i thought the safety from notre dame ran a 4.3? i swear i heard this somewhere, along with his boxing deal. but yo siler from florida is going to be a hella lb.

17. Jrocthadino

Jrocthadino BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    i watched this guy on the Gators, he wears #1. He is a DB and hits so hard. I'd like him.

18. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    u mean nelson right? yea hes quick but he'll need to gain about 30 lbs in the next year. unless he was underlisted this season.. but yo siler is underrated

19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I'm not sure about that.

Last year, before the 2005 season, no one wanted to cough up even a 4th rounder for Shaun Alexander who went on to become league MVP and set the scoring TD record that LT is about to break.

20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Yeah but that's different. First Alexander was acting like a little *****, second - alexander wasn't a restricted free agent and didn't get an RFA tender like Turner will be getting. We will be getting the highest RFA compensation possible.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    We need a Strong Safety, I hate Terrence Kiel, as Im sure you all know by now. LOL

22. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    Jake Long is a stud, but will likely be gone in the top 15 this year! Unless we take the *** raping end of a trade there is no way we get him!

23. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    I agree Siler is a stud and would be a nice addition maybe in the second to third round!

24. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    We need to draft in the middle of the defense. Nose tackle, ILB, and SS in that order. Then a speed wide receiver.

I don't get to watch enough college ball over here to put my two cents in on who can fill these needs but it sure is nice to be able to read up on the prospects in threads like this.

25. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    Good post boltfan however in the draft we obviously have a war room. In our war room is going to show something similar to what you just wrote! However since you said you dont watch that much college ball, I will do my best to enlighten you...We will probably end up with a SS in the first round, only for the fact that Frank Okam (NT-Texas) will be gone, and Quinn Pitcock is way to light to be a 3-4 NT. The class of Safeties coming out is huge this year with the like of Laron Landry, Michael Griffin, Reggie Nelson, Tom Zbikowski....etc! ILB the only real first round prospect is Patrick Willis and he will be long gone by the 32 pick... ;)

26. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Thanks bro. I look forward to the war room action.

27. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354

No problem, I enjoy this, I had put on that post that Patrick Willis was the only first round prospect for an ILB....Also add Buster Davis to that mix! I would love to see them get Buster Davis who is a great blitzing ILB and would fit perfectly into our 3-4 scheme!

28. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Buster Davis is one heck of a two-down player. Davis will go somewhere in the second round, probably mid 2nd. He'll be a nice pickup for a team desperate for a linebacker.

29. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    For those of you who talk about college DT prospects being too light to play a NT in a 3-4, I'd like to remind you that Jamal Williams was right about 300 lbs when he was drafted.

I'd rather take a kid who is a bit light but has all the other qualities that make a good NT, and then sit his *** down at the all-you-can-eat buffet, than to take a gamble on most of the 320 lb+ tackles I've seen in college this year. Almost all the bigger guys have something that sets off an alarm...takes plays off, doesn't always pursue, inconsistent, doesn't always play to his size...all of these things are deal killers to me and I don't care if he's 6'10, 380 lbs. And if a 22 year old kid is 6'2 " or 6'3" and already weighs 340 lbs...well, that's scary to me. That's too heavy and means the kid's likely carrying a whole lot of totally useless fat.

We don't need a kid to come in and be our starting NT right now. If we draft a NT in this draft he'll likely have 2 or maybe 3 years to develop before Jamal's career is over. He doesn't have to have the prototypical size.

My guy is Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU, 6'2", 284 to 299 lbs (depending on the source) almost no negatives on his scouting report...the guy plays with a Luis Castillo attitude. I've seen him in three games now and he is consistently disruptive to the opposing offense. Me like. I like guys with a non-stop motor.

If we try to find a Jamal Williams clone we're going to be searching for a long time. The worst thing to do is reach for a guy who resembles Jamal physically who will never perform to his full potential while passing up a guy who is maybe a different body-type, but could be very effective.

Give Dorsey 2-3 years of controlled weight-gain to about 330 and he would be a keeper.