1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you HATE to see us draft at #16?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Everyone has their favorites...but I'll put a different spin on it. Is there anyone you would just be disgusted to see us draft at 16? I remember being pretty unhappy that we drafted Buster Davis....but the prevailing thought at the time was A. He fits a need and B. We were down at the bottom of the 1st round, so why not.

The stakes are high for us in this draft as we could really use an impact player from this draft to take this team to the next level and a bust pick in the first round could really hamper our chances to do something in the playoffs.

I personally hope we pick BPA from either OT, DE or ILB with our first pick......of the likely picks I think I would be dissappointed in any of the following:

Brian Cushing
    Clay Matthews
    James Laurinitas
    Knowshon Moreno

All three of the above LB's just make me think of a slightly more athletic Matt Wilhelm.

I'm not in agreement with picking a RB with our first pick....especially when the talent pool will be comparable in rounds 3 and 4....but if they did, I could live with Beanie Wells much easier than Knowshon. Both players have about the same straight line speed with Beanie being 40lbs or so heavier. Moreno IMO is a product of a very good offense at UGA with a bulldozing O Line that gave him plenty of space to look really good. I'm not impressed with the highlight reels of his showboating and diving over players for no reason either. I think he'll be in for a rude awakening when he meets LBs and even DE's regularly who are faster than he is. Wells at least offers a change of pace and different style rather than a significantly less talented Tomlinson type of back.

2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    HATE would mean I thought it was a stupid pick....

I would HATE for us to take any RB at 16

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Yeah...I'm not fond of the idea either...but like I said, I could live with Beanie Wells if we felt like he is better than any other player on the board at that time, but I have a hard time believing that Moreno would be the best value for us...or really any other back that isn't a big bruising Michael Turner type of change up we could use.

I guess I should add that I would be pretty pissed if we drafted another CB like Michael Jenkins...that would make no sense to me given our other immedite needs.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    I certainly don't want to see a DB.

If guys like Jackson, Oher and Raji are gone and Moreno and Wells are there then 'In AJ I trust'.

If those guys (the 3 big boys) are gone I'm looking to trade down with a team that wants Freeman, cos the Jets are gonna pick him at 17.

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    haven't seen the other posts yet.

But the first answer is top :tup:

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Since I would love it if we took a pass rushing maniac to go along with Shawne,

I would hate any other pick.

:tup:

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I'd hate taking any offensve player, other than an O-lineman.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Tyson Jackson

He is worse than the guy he replaced at LSU, Marcus Spears, and would be a truely horrible 1st round pick for any team.

There are a handful of DEs i would take before even considering him

9. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    It worries me when I hear stuff like this because I don't know much about the guy and I think it's very plausible that he might be there when we pick. I keep hearing about how he is the perfect DE in this draft for a 3/4 Defense and obviously that is one of our biggest needs.

I'm assuming LSU ran a 4/3....I wonder if it's possible that he could breakout in a 34 D.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    RB, WR or CB. :no:

DE, OL or LB. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I truly believe the ONLY reasons he is rated as a 1st rounder is because he is a 295lb DE who played at LSU and looked like a good player when he had Glenn Dorsey drawing all the attention away from him. When he was forced to be the MAN, he couldnt, and ended up taking off many plays and looked like an average player when he was trying.

I mean its pretty bad that even when someone makes a highlight film of him, it looks like a highlight film for all the OL he was playing against

For the life of me, i cant figure out why there is so much hype around the guy ,especially after the recent performances of LSU players in the NFL lately (seriously, outside of Bowe, has anyone done anything?)

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Brian Cushing
    Beanie Wells
    Clay Matthews
    Donald Brown
    Malcolm Jenkins

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Any offensive player other than a STUD RT

Any white LB

Any CB

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :lol:

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Any non-beef player.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    A punter or a QB. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Beeps.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't want a offensive player, the offense was NOT the problem last yera, they'll be fine

I want a defensive player, DL or ILB

• Like Like x 1
  19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    TYSON JACKSON

Malcolm Jenkins
    Eben Britton (= Shane Olivea)
    Clay Mathews
    Louis Delmas

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I don't know what you have against Cushing, he's best known for all his intangibles but he's a physical freak as well. He's 6'3 245, did 30 reps on bench in the combine (most among LB's) and ran the 3 cone drill faster than all but one runningback at the combine, including your boy Knowshon

By the way Ant your boy is growing on me, I wouldn't put my head through a wall if we drafted him 16th.

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    please no CB/RB/QB/WR.

22. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I'd hate to see us pick Ryan Leaf. I think I would just **** my pants.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I am not impressed with his production or especially with his injury history, which really scares me. Knowshon doesn't have an injury history and has been wildly productive

24. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Id actually rather have both Cushing and Matthews over Rey but want neither with our first.

No RB either

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Steroids/Injuries

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Injury is part of football, there isn't one San Diego Charger right now who hasn't missed a game due to injury. What matters more is how they come back. I'm not pulling for Cushing or Maualuga to be picked at 16, but again I wouldn't be pissed if we did.

I'll tell you one thing, AJ has a history for going with the physical specimen that other teams have passed on, Beanie Wells and Brian Cushing are right up his alley.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Anybody not named Rey Maualuga.

Rey > rest of the draft

28. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Interesting that the opinions on Maualuga range from Awful to Overated to Good-but-not-great to Stud.

• Like Like x 1
  29. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think I'll be slightly disappointed if AJ picks any player who will contribute immediately to the front 7.

I'm betting that Rivera has been involved in the evaluation process this year, so I trust that we'll be grabbing a difference maker for that side of the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Boltzzz

Boltzzz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Ditto

• Like Like x 2