1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who's left in Indy? Colts cut Bullitt, Brackett, Painter, Addai & Clark

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Big losses there...... how will they ever recover? ;)

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    They're trying to trade Freeney too, who's cap hit is over 15M this year. :eek:

Looking at a number like that, there is no way we can afford Mario Williams.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    And teams don't even know what the cap number is for next season.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +941
    I think Mario will get a $12-16M offer IF that. Remember Freeney and Peppers' deals came after fantastic seasons and I believe Freeney got one after their Super Bowl run. Mario is coming off an injury in which he only played 5 games in and has learned a new scheme and most likely wants to stay in the 3-4. We'll have $40M to play with if McNeill fails his physical. I think we can afford him.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    All I can think of to say is Holy sheep hsit.

Addai tho not much surprise, I thought would have been back for at least one more season. And man really Bullett?? That is a surprise to me.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I wasnt sure if it was injury or play drop off that caused Bullett to depart, turns out its the injuries. Heres our new S project.

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +941
    Pagano will bring in guys like Jarret Johnson and Tom Zbi-whatever. He will probably bring McClain and Redding as well.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Wouldn't mind looking seriously at Dallas Clark as a #2 tight end, assuming he's healthy.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Was just gonna post the exact same thing. Clark plus Gates would be a great combination, even though I think McMichael last year was very under-appreciated by fans, considering how good he is as a blocker, but then again Clark is a legit receiving TE which with Gates could become a nightmare cover. I also kinda the Colts other TE, Tamme, is he a free agent too?

Not for us, but I think Addai might make a decent backup RB for someone provided he also is healthy.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Oops, that didn't work out so well......... ;)

Colts moves result in $38 million of dead money
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2012, 12:36 PM EST

The good news for the Colts is that the recent dumping of multiple veteran players with recognizable names creates more than $10 million in cap space.

The bad news is that, for the privilege of not having players like Peyton Manning,Dallas Clark, Gary Brackett, Melvin Bullitt, and Joseph Addai on the team, the Colts will trigger $38 million in empty cap dollars, according to Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star.

Known widely as “dead money,” the figure comes from bonuses and other guaranteed payments already made to players who are no longer with the team.

Though the CBA allows a team to spread dead money over two years even if the move comes before the June 1 salary cap Mason-Dixon line, the ability of the Colts to use that technique as it relates to 2012 and 2013 could be blocked by the fact that the moves technically came during the 2011 league year. (We’ve requested clarification from the league.)

And so the job for new G.M. Ryan Grigson and new coach Chuck Pagano continues to get harder. It’ll get even harder once Dwight Freeney is gone.

Meanwhile, owner Jim Irsay just fired the Polians again.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Clark would give this team an older original pair of tight ends on par with what New England has. I only wonder about his blocking and health. McMichael, though he's older, has shown some solid blocking skills and willingness to play and do anything. Still Clark + draft someone late to compete with Sperry and that's three solid TEs.

Only other FA TE I'd consider is Daniel Fells from the Broncos. Tamme didn't perform very well when asked to step up

13. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    wow. I can't believe that they released some of those players. With AL being drafted I would think that the Colts would try to surround him with players that know the system. After all, if they think AL is the next PM than surround him with those that can guide him. This could be a Ryan Leaf in the making.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sperry - or rather the belief in Sperry - is a key here.

Personally, I believe that TE & NT are at least priority 1and 3.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I'd switch that order myself.

16. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    ^ TE isn't the biggest need by far. People underrate McMichael, he's a great blocker, good guy in the locker-room, and not a bad receiver, for 1 more year as a 2nd TE we couold do a lot worse.

DT, OLB and SS are all bigger needs, so is the O-line if we can't retain our free agents, maybe even WR will be a bigger need if VJ doesn't come back.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So would I if I were being precise. NT has never left my radar. Cam is merely a blip.

18. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    That should attract a reaction from BLEW any minute now .............. he loves him some baby 'Zilla.

[​IMG]

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    He's too big to be a blip, and too athletic to be a blimp. ;)

I see you're still holing onto your harsh assessment of Thomas, despite all evidence to the contrary. Odds are, he'll never develop into another Jamal Williams, but he's not chopped liver either. He'd make a good rotational NT at the very least. I'd still love to draft Poe and use them both.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    True, but all "experts" are saying it will be roughly the same as last year, at least all that I have read

21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    I've also read that it'll be less than last year. Then another report is saying that the NFLPA wants a higher cap. Now it looks like we'll know what the cap is on Monday:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/10/2012-cap-number-coming-monday/

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm fine with him being in the NT rotation but I don't feel he's the total answer for the position.

You feel that my assessment is harsh - BFD. I watched him play at UNC while others around him picked up his slack. He's shown more motivation here & I'll give him props for that. I won't fall in love with him as you have apparently done.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Well, as someone else posted in a different thread yesterday, the cop did go up, but by less than a million dollars

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I feel your assessment is inaccurate, that's all. That Cam Thomas may have slacked off at times while at UNC is immaterial. What matters is how he's played since he's become a Charger. I've seen no lack of effort since we drafted him. In fact, he's shown a high motor for pursuing plays until the end. Players grow and evolve..... Cam has, but your opinion of him was based on the past.

I haven't "fallen in love" with Thomas, as Jack intimated. I merely saw his potential when he was drafted, and am pleased to see that he's continued to develop. Whether he can become a full-time starter at NT remains to be seen.

• Like Like x 1
  25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    TRUTH

Either keep Garay or bring in someone like Solai/Franklin to provide more depth and give Thomas more of a work load. At worse right now he's a solid backup NT who has shown improvement year to year. At best he becomes a starting NT but agree that remains to be seen

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm not even opposed to looking at other 5-Tech's on the market if one comes available and giving Vaughn some reps at the nose now that he has actually developed better gap discipline. At worst, Vaughn rotates as the utility DL the same way that OG used to, and McKinney before him (personally, I'm not opposed to bringing McKinney back considering he's a free agent with some system familiarity). Or really, at absolute worst case scenario Liuget shows no growth from year 1 to year 2 and Martin starts over him at the other DE spot and Liuget's left to potentially be forced to bulk up and try to ply himself at NT (the way the Steelers look like they may be pushing Ziggy Hood).

Either way, there will be other guys likely hitting the market due to their teams being up against the cap and needing the space to function (Casey Hampton from the Steelers still remains a possibility, though it'll be interesting to see how Chris Hoke's retirement affects that - he's coming off knee surgery and has a pretty substantial cap number though).

Thomas is entering his 3rd season which is where he should - by most accounts - turn the development corner (as Martin did). Just outright signing someone to start over him is counterproductive. Get someone to compliment him be that drafted (the only reason I don't like that avenue is that very rarely do first year nose tackles make any kind of substantial contributions unless it's playing out of position) or a free agent signing (again, this idea that a quality NT has to be a big name is ridiculous, they just need to be a good fit for the scheme in place).

• Like Like x 1
  27. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    hmm. Well, if we could bring in someone who will start right away and be a major contributor and be here for the next 8--10 years then I am all for it. I would like to see this happen rather than trying to develop a NT.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You do realize that not even Jamal Williams starters right away and was productive, right? In fact, he was drafted while we were still running a 4-3, and didn't do squat until the team moved to 3-4 a few years later

• Like Like x 1
  29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't find this surprising at all. The new rookie wage scale effectively rewards teams for poor performance. What better way to optimize your team for the future than to unload all of the veteran (read expensive) talent and completely rebuild the team? Best case scenario, you rebuild the team in year 1 successfully around Luck, and are back in the playoffs. Worst case scenario, you pick top 5 again and are looking at more high picks.

Getting rid of Payton Manning combined with the new rookie wage scale basically necesitated this move. The entire Colts' strategy was based around having the most proficient passer in history throwing behind a garbage O-line to slightly better than average WRs off play action based on the stretch play, which was run against teams playing 90% of snaps out of their nickel package, and a defense that was always playing with a lead. Ditching Manning made that entire scheme unworkable, and the new CBA (combined with the predications on which the draft is based), rewards the Colts for blowing it up. I imagine the Colts released these players in the 2011 league year specifically to have the entire dead money hit apply to the 2012 season, while looking at the fans with puppy dog eyes and being able to claim that their hands were tied by the league.

As I said in another thread, the NFL rewards teams for being either exceptionally good (free agents will sign with you for peanuts to get a ring) or exceptionally bad (top picks). With the RWS, being exceptionally bad several years in a row is probably the fastest way to being a contender for a decade.

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    With such sound and realistic expectations like this it's a wonder you're disappointed so often... ;)

• Like Like x 1