1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Whos Next?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by tboltzcali, Mar 4, 2007.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Anyone on our FA radar? Or are we going to sit back and wait for the draft?

2. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    The only one I've heard of is Deon Grant....but that's doubtful now after the Dielman signing. I wonder if we're even going to bring him in now. Both Seattle and N.O. I believe are bringing him in for a visit. He would be an awesome fit for us, but he's going to be too expensive. I would expect that we're all about the draft from this point forward.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Deon Grant is all i've heard

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
  5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

He's waaaaaaay out of our price range now.

6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Hell, the way things are in this market Grant will probably get Dielman money.

7. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    I read something about curtis but not for us. I think we are just going to draft it from here on out. Although I do want us to try to grab a WR before then. But it wont happen. The FA market is too expensive and people are handing out big contracts like free condoms.

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

I think the Chargers will sit back and watch. If someone they really like that can be signed at a value price is still on the board a few days from now they'll make a play. Otherwise, it'll be all about the draft.

We have that luxury now.

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]
    :icon_toast:

10. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    I still believe we can upgrade through FA but the amount of money that is flying around, I think we stay put now until the draft. Would be great if we can trade up in the first. I like Porter for this team.

11. Boltz_Backer22

Boltz_Backer22 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Come on guys , you know as well as i do that AJ is not going to chase Free Agents around at all . AJ like to play it cool as the other side the pillow, and see where the market goes and settles at. Then he might, and stress the word might sign a mid level FA with a lot up side. We all know the AJ believe the foundation of this team is built in the Draft ... and actually you thank the Redskins for proving that Free Agents aren't always a best fit for your team. :helm1:

12. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Anyone have a feel for what our cap situation is looking like with the Dielman signing? Do we even have the funds to be a player in FA now?

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    AJ is building a team that will draw good players to it, remember we are talking the finest city in the USA, not to mention one of the best if not the best club in the NFL.

After all the dust settles from the big buck bang, we may still land someone who can help this team at a fair price.:bolt2:

14. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    Theres no one left. Guess we gotta wait until the draft. I would like to add a LB and a WR before we get to the draft. Try to trade turner if possible, if not, looks like he will get a ring this year with us then leave.

15. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    We will sign another FA or two, but it will be after the draft around June when people get cut and are scrambling to get on a team before camp. AJ usually swoops in and picks up journeyman type guys on the cheap during that time.

16. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    NFL Network reported that Curtis wants to come to a west coast team like San Diego or San Francisco but neither team has any apparent interest in him.

You never know though. Maybe AJ gets him to sign for way less than his market value to play for a contender as opposed to signing with Detroit and then dissapearing.:unsure:

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    i thought it was pretty well known curtis was being courted by San Diego

18. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I've heard tha Rams other wide receiver not named Holt gained interest from tha Bolts... Shaun McDonald. Don't know how serious the interest is, but he's an under the radar speed/returner that would fit nicely financially and conceptly.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I saw the same report.

Also, Kevin Curtis is without an agent at this time, he just fired Tom Condon this week. Who knows, maybe he'll want to come here badly enough to wait it out. I know one thing, I'd NEVER let AJ know I wanted to play for this team, talk about showing your weak hand before the flop. Dumbass.

20. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

Oh hell yeah Chavez, not sure what the exact # is but when FA started SD had 24.6 Million in cap room....So to answer your question yes we have probably around 18 million or so!

21. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    No. Not even close. You're completely forgetting about the 13 other players we've signed.

You're using an old number--a number from back in December. You have to remember that number changes very quickly, and every time the Chargers sign a player in the offseason that number shrinks. It's not just when we sign a big-name.

Refer to this link: http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

The Chargers were $12.2 million under the cap on March 3rd. I seriously doubt that factors in the Dielman contract, since the terms of his contract weren't disclosed until the afternoon of March 3rd. So we had $12.2 million.

Then we signed Dielman to a contract that averages $6.5 million per year. That leaves us $5.7 million.

Then we signed Withrow and then Floyd. Their contracts won't be huge, but they'll still put us down to around $4 million remaining.

Where did all that other money go, you ask?

We signed Shaun Phillips to a contract that probably averages around $5 million per year. I'm not sure of that because I haven't seen the total value of Phillips' deal--only the guaranteed money. He got a significant signing bonus.

We tendered Michael Turner to a contract that pays $2.3 million.

We tendered Lekkerker, Camarillo, and Floyd. That's at least $2.6 million.

We signed 8 players to one year contracts...among them; Jeromey Clary, Kelly Griffith, Tyrone Gross, Brett Elliot, Gabe Franklin, Kurt Kahui, TJ Cottrell, and Tony Pape. Even if those contracts are all for the league-minimum, that's a little over $2.2 million.

So that's over $11 million just in maintenance signings. People need to remember that when someone says in December that we'll $24.6 million under the cap that number does not take into account all the players we have who do not have contracts for the next year that we might want to re-sign...like the Lekkerkerkers, Turners, and Camarillos of the world. They don't sign huge dollar contracts, but their contracts still add up.

We gave up Godfrey and Edwards, but their contracts had expired anyway so that doesn't save us any cap room.

We unloaded McCardell, Kiel, and Foley, who all had contracts. That should clear up around $4 million.

You can never be certain how Ed McGuire is going to structure a contract under the cap. He might structure Dielman's contract so that it only takes $3 million under this year's cap. Or he might structure so that Dielman's contract takes $9 million this year and gets cheaper later.

But he usually plays it pretty straight-up, so I would be very surprised if we have more than $4 or $5 million left under the cap right now.

In other words--no, we don't have much money to spend on free-agency now that we've re-signed Dielman. And unlike the Broncos we don't have a Jake Plummer whose contract we can unload to save a few million under the cap. Other than Michael Turner, we really don't have any highly-paid players we'd want to unload to bring in another free agent. We might be able to re-structure LT's contract or something like that if there's a guy we like, but you're wrong. We do NOT, in fact, have a bunch of money to spend in free-agency.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    San Diego = Sunshine Tax, If you want to play on the team with the most talent, then you must accept the offer we pay. I really believe AJ is building a dynasty that will atract players, I don't see us as the laughing stock of the league any more, as in the day's of Seau. :bolt2:

23. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68

best post of the year so far